Question about NRA Personal protection class

This is a discussion on Question about NRA Personal protection class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently found an agency called DES Training in Rock Hill SC ( DES Training ) that offers the NRA Personal protection inside and ...

Thread: Question about NRA Personal protection class

Question Question about NRA Personal protection class

I have recently found an agency called DES Training in Rock Hill SC (DES Training) that offers the NRA Personal protection inside and outside the home classes. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these classes. Would you recommend them?
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2. Remove Ads

IO've taken both of htem, and I'm certified to teach the in the home course. I think they give a lot of information is usually isn't available to handgun permit holders, esp. in my area. Most of the permit classes are VERY basic. the Personal Protection series give a more detailed view of carrying a handgun and using it in a defensive settings.
    Worth the $$$ and the time.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I'm a PPITH instructor- it's a very basic class. If you know nothing at all, i.e., you don't know the difference between cover and concealment, have no idea what the difference between a double and single action revolver is, and haven't thought about proper doors, deadbolts, and sliding door bars, it's worth something.

PPOTH is a good class, though.

Administrator
    Agreed with above. Its been a few years since I did anything NRA, but that was the class that was most popular. Its geared for the person who just bought a gun for protection, or is thinking about doing so. It will get you thinking in the right direction, and probably make you hungry for more info/instruction and that is always a good thing.
    There is a lot of good info, but it is basic. But it does go beyond what the normal CCW class does. Depending on who teaches the class, it may be very worthwhile attending.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As others have stated, the classes are basic stuff and directed toward the novice. Nevertheless, no matter how basic the class I always seem to get something out of it. I took these classes about 2 years ago and thought they were excellent.

I know Dewayne and you will receive excellent training from him. The course also includes a book to take home and use for future reference.
    Scott V
    NRA STC, LEAD Shotgun /Handgun Instructor
    Sig Sauer, Glock, Surefire Instructor
    GA UT FL Certified Instructor
    http://www.centerfiretraining.com
    Are you Ready?

I am a NRA TC & am cert. in PPITH. It is as the others have Stated, VERY BASIC. But, IMHO an EXCELLENT place to start. I recommend this course to all who either have a firearm in the Home for personal D or JUST AS IMPORTANTLY to those "Thinking" of doing so. Our "Training Team always mentions this class to our "Basic pistol" classes. Why?
    1. This course exposes the individual to a variety aspects of the ?? of Home security.
    Note if the individual is interested, we "suggest , if married, that the spouse also take the course.
    2. It Addresses IMHO, the MOST IMPORTANT ?? that a Family MUST ask. "Do I want to & am I "prepared"Mentally to use Lethal Force to protect my Home & those in it."
    A portion of the class involves the Legal & Psychological aspects.
    NOTE- this portion of the class IS NOT Taught by the NRA Instructors But by a GUEST Presenter. ( either an Attny, or LEO that is "certified by the State" to train in this area.

IMHO, the course is WORTH the Time & $$$$

Puffer

Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    I am a NRA TC & am cert. in PPITH. It is as the others have Stated, VERY BASIC. But, IMHO an EXCELLENT place to start. I recommend this course to all who either have a firearm in the Home for personal D or JUST AS IMPORTANTLY to those "Thinking" of doing so. Our "Training Team always mentions this class to our "Basic pistol" classes. Why?
    1. This course exposes the individual to a variety aspects of the ?? of Home security.
    Note if the individual is interested, we "suggest , if married, that the spouse also take the course.
    2. It Addresses IMHO, the MOST IMPORTANT ?? that a Family MUST ask. "Do I want to & am I "prepared"Mentally to use Lethal Force to protect my Home & those in it."
    A portion of the class involves the Legal & Psychological aspects.
    NOTE- this portion of the class IS NOT Taught by the NRA Instructors But by a GUEST Presenter. ( either an Attny, or LEO that is "certified by the State" to train in this area.

IMHO, the course is WORTH the Time & $$$$

Puffer
    I'm an NRA Instructor who teaches pistol, shotgun, PPITH, and PPOTH, and I agree with all that. The student guides (books) are good reference material to read in-depth after the class. If nothing else the legal parts of PPITH and PPOTH alone are worth the course fees in my opinion. The PPITH shooting stuff is fairly basic but will be fun and a lot of learning if you have never done action shooting before. The shooting part of PPOTH is good too, again especially if you don't have the opportunity to practice action shooting techniques much or at all. These PPITH/PPOTH classes may be kind of basic but I think they're a very good value that won't cost you an arm or a leg, and you won't have to go three states away to find one.

Links