Any tips for my 1st training class

This is a discussion on Any tips for my 1st training class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have made the decision to attend 5 days of training each year and this year signed up for the USTC's Tactical Handgun 1 class ...

Thread: Any tips for my 1st training class

I have made the decision to attend 5 days of training each year and this year signed up for the USTC's Tactical Handgun 1 class in June.

If anyone here taken the class I would love to hear from you on what to expect; and more generally if you have taken any course is there something I should know before I go?

I haven't taken that specific course, but in general I recommend bringing spares for everything you can. A spare gun of the same or very similar type as your primary is ideal, but also a spare holster, mags, mag carrier, etc.
    It's a shame to have to drop out of an expensive class when your gear fails.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    I haven't taken that specific course, but in general I recommend bringing spares for everything you can. A spare gun of the same or very similar type as your primary is ideal, but also a spare holster, mags, mag carrier, etc.
    It's a shame to have to drop out of an expensive class when your gear fails.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately I currently only have 1 glock (3rd Gen G19), but I have a replacement recoil spring, trigger/trigger bar, and slide lock. As a short term back-up I am taking my 9mm Kimber pro-carry and and my carry gear for it (holster, mag puches, 4 mags). As for G19 mags I will be taking 13, 10 training mags and 3 carry mags just in case.

I have replacement batteries in my range bag for the surefire and my peltors.

I have my boo boo kit, and headache meds, sun screen, tissues etc.

I have tried to think of what I need for my gun, gear and myself.

Is there anything you needed that you didn't have or were very glad you did that I may not have thought of?

Straight off the USTC site:

Ammunition Requirements: 2500 rounds

Gear: Pistol, holster, three high capacity (15rds) magazines or six low capacity (7-8 rds), magazine holder, belt, flashlight, flashlight holder, clear wraparound ballistic eye protection, ear protection, weapons cleaning kit, rain gear, clothing appropriate for climate and conditions and a water bottle or other hydration system. Knee and elbow pads are strongly recommended.

Should be a great training opportunity.

I personally mark all my gear, at a minimum with my initials...
    I also carry an UpLuLa....Makes reloading your mags a breeze... if you don't your fingers are sure to hurt..BAD!!
    I do wear a glove on my weak hand, simple because of all the racking, it makes my hand look like a piece of hamburger if it's bare.

PM sent as well.
    Last edited by First Sgt; April 13th, 2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Straight off the USTC site:

Ammunition Requirements: 2500 rounds

Gear: Pistol, holster, three high capacity (15rds) magazines or six low capacity (7-8 rds), magazine holder, belt, flashlight, flashlight holder, clear wraparound ballistic eye protection, ear protection, weapons cleaning kit, rain gear, clothing appropriate for climate and conditions and a water bottle or other hydration system. Knee and elbow pads are strongly recommended.

Should be a great training opportunity.

PM sent as well.
    Thanks I have read the site pretty thoroughly and done a TON of additional research. I am just hoping to get some additional insight.

You might want to mark your gear. There may be others there with the same stuff.

Good luck and have fun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

mark your gear with colored duct tape or electrical tape and a sharpie. Depending on time of year, bring extra socks to change during the lunch break

Definitely a hat (baseball-type)

Reloader (LULA)--you will HATE hand-jamming rounds into your mags after the first 10 mags...

Along those same lines--gloves. I've shot with gloves and without...personal preference.

Grip screws and appropriate screwdriver (slotted vs allen)--in case your Kimber loses a screw.

Camera!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Training tips I've learned from the firearms and combatives classes I've attended:

Shut up and listen.

Ask questions after you have shut up and listened.

You are attending the class to learn how the instructor wants you to shoot. Shoot the way you are told to.

Resist the temptation to show him how you shoot. You are paying to learn, not perform.

You do not show other people in class "how it's done". You are a student, not a teacher.

test your gear before you attend.

Bring water.

Bring more water.

Knee pads are good to have. So are extra pants.

Learning is optional. Safety is not.

You can get a lot out of the class by being a good student, or you can waste your cash by being "that guy".

Your call.

Thanks guys

I've not taken that particular class, but some general advice:

Bring lots of water. For June in the southeast, I'd say bring at least a gallon every day (you can throw some gatorade or sodas in there for variety). Start drinking the night before so that you're well hydrated when the class starts and keep drinking throughout the day. From personal experience, I can say that being dehydrated really sucks!

Load up your mags ahead of time (maybe keep one or two empty in case they want to start off with dry drills). Load mags whenever you get a chance. Keep a pocket full of rounds to top off mags and you can stay up at the line more.

Aim to get there early, especially on the first day. If you can, scout out the range location ahead of time (through I've heard they're pretty strict on access controls there, so you may not be able to).

+1 on the mag loader, especially for a 2500 round class.

Bring some writing material to take notes (pocket sized notebooks are great for this since you can always have it with you).

Above all, enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Training tips I've learned from the firearms and combatives classes I've attended:

Shut up and listen.

Ask questions after you have shut up and listened.
    You beat me to it.

God gave us two ears and one mouth so we can hear twice as much as we speak.

Just be an information sponge. Take notes, and if you have the opportunity, compare notes after the course is over with another attendee.

Most open-minded instructors are not teaching you "the" way, they are teaching you "a" way to do something. Give them the courtesy of trying to do things the way they suggest.

And don't forget to have fun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle
    Load up your mags ahead of time (maybe keep one or two empty in case they want to start off with dry drills). Load mags whenever you get a chance. Keep a pocket full of rounds to top off mags and you can stay up at the line more.
    Good suggestion. Having as much gear as you can pre-prepped is very helpful.

Another thing, try not to get too distracted chatting with the other class members during reloading breaks. The faster you get back to the line the faster you get back to learning. There's often a few guys that are talking about how awesome that last drill was and end up lagging behind in getting back to the line. Plenty of time to do that over lunch or dinner.

Don't be a lagger.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You are attending the class to learn how the instructor wants you to shoot. Shoot the way you are told to.

Resist the temptation to show him how you shoot. You are paying to learn, not perform.
    And on top of that, take everything with a grain of salt, evaluate it, and determine how it works for you...AFTER the class.

My example was an instructor insisting that I use the slide stop to release the slide during the class, when all of my other training advocated the overhand technique (which I use since many of my slide stops just cannot be released with a thumb press). I used the stop for the rest of that day rather than point out the benefits of the other technique, and I'm sure everyone in the class was happier for it!

My $0.02

As a former Black Water Instructor I thought I might add a few points!

You have been given some solid advice.

1. I hope you get to train with Tom Alabrando or Scotty Norton both solid Open Enrollment Instructors.

2. Go with an open mind. Pay close attention to the thumbs forward grip you will be shown. This helps control recoil and aids in faster follow up shots. They will teach you how to drive the gun from target to target….you will say that won’t work ..but it will.

3. Pay close attention to the trigger control techniques you will be taught! Try to perform trigger reset...it works!

4. Mark your gear. You can by a (Tactical) Paint Pen from Wal-Mart. However if your gun goes down the Instructor will have range control get you a GLOCK to run for the rest of the class.

5. ASK WHY if you don't know why you are doing something.

6. Classroom time is limited pay attention!

7. You will most likely be on range #2 which is covered overhead. The Instructor will demonstrate each technique before they have you run it pay close attention.

If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM. However please note it has been 2 years since I worked at BW now USTC. I now own my own school but would not hesitate in sending students to USTC.

USTC is a World Class facility with World Class Instructors! I hope you enjoy yourself.

Tom

Sponsored Links