Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada - Page 2

Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada

This is a discussion on Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been to the 2 day course with my wife. Both loved it. Would like to go to the 4 day course. My wife wants to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada

Been to the 2 day course with my wife. Both loved it. Would like to go to the 4 day course. My wife wants to return as well.

Alot of opinions from folks that haven't been there - They are worth exactly what you paid for them. IMHO.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I've been considering the newest membership ploy. If you mailed the 4 "Don't Tread on Me" printouts you can receive lifetime memberships for $419. Glad I read this...
    From someone who has been to the facility and taken a course - $419 for the lifetime is money well spent.

I didn't buy a lifetime - not currently in the budget. If I had $419 floating around, I would trade it for the above.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Been there 3 times for 4 day handgun course, once with my ex-wife. Every time has been excellent. Electronic ears are the only way to go and be prepared to drink a lot of water/gatorade it is really easy to get dehydrated although they will constantly remind you to drink. I bought one of the cheaper lifetime memberships and think it was a good investment. Also agree on Best Western as the place to stay. Will be going back later this year.

Go for it and enjoy. I did the 4 day defensive handgun. They do have sales pitches but not overdone and if you are a returning student, they are not mandatory and they were only for training- I saw a model of the proposed development but don't think I ever heard it mentioned. I get way to much email from them but I get that from the NRA too. This latest offer for lifetime membership is a good deal if you want to go more than once or twice. Is there better training? Maybe- I havent been to any of those so can't say. Was this training everything I expected? That and more. Don't know the Dr- never met him but he has assembled a great bunch of instructors and has a really cool facility to train at.
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

So I printed out FS's application, filled it out and faxed it in. Here's the reply I got back:

Quote:
    Hi Ed,

Thank you for submitting an application to Front Sight to attend the training under the Basich Group Rifle class 09/25/2009

Unfortunately we are not able to provide you training at Front Sight at this time or in the future and we have canceled your enrollment into this course on 09/25/2009.

This cancelation and ban from attending training at Front Sight stems from your post on internet chat boards about Front Sight.

We have not charged your credit card for the criminal background check.

Thank you.

Jonathan Landwer
    Executive Assistant

Front Sight Firearms Training Inst.
    P.O. Box 2619
    Aptos Ca. 95001

At first I wasn't even sure what he was talking about, so I e-mailed him back and then he made a reference that made me remember posting here on GT after initially attending their class.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=10

I guess my e-mail address is similar enough to my handle.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm wondering if anyone who as been to any other kind of weapons class would care to speak of the relative merits of Front Site.

The guys I talk to who have never attended a class before tend to think it's great.

The guys I talk to who've been to other training think it's mediocre at best.

I would really like to hear more feedback from folks experienced with carbine and pistol training in other places' opinion on Front Site.

Do they make you purchase their ammo, and is their price reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    Do they make you purchase their ammo, and is their price reasonable?
    You can purchase your own ammo, which I highly recommend. It's a little pricey at the pro shop. But, for some who might be flying, it might offset other costs & inconveniences if you bought it on site.

You can get better prices on courses if you sign up for their newsletter.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Sorry the link didnt work it did on the original post. The comments about the training were good the only negative was about the sales pitch on the memberships which is what got him banned. For basic firearms training it may be a good place to go. I have trained at the Crucible and other speciality training so I do not know what they could offer that I would like.
    As I keep saying any training is good training as long as you can seperate the good subject matter from the bad.
    As a general rule anytime a school or instructor says unless you use this gun, technique, style, bullet type or whatever you are wrong and will die because you dont do it like me I tend to avoid because you cannot choose the time or place you have to use your weapon or the weapon or bullet you want. I am very proficient with whatever weapon I am using at the time instead of the expert of one gun that I will not have when I need it.
    Remember there is a difference between carrying a firearm and being a good shooter and being able to fight with a firearm when the conditions are not ideal or the target is shooting back.

Sorry my bad. It was only for two days. My father got a first family cert form someone. THANK GOD, cause i wouldnt spend a freakin' dollar for that place! Im sorry, everyone has thier own shooting style but thier "weve tried it everyway possible and this is the best" bullcrap... Of all things the line coach kept tell me i reholster to fast. "you need to slow down one your holstering", he said...yeah well i know how to find my holster so im good thanks. It was basic ccw 8hr class stuff, and a bunch of tall tales. anyway, it was a watse of fuel and hotel bill. didnt learn a thing.... It was dumb. OH and the "focus on teh front sight, thats all that matters. why you think we call this place that" What? Really? Wow.....
    Glock 17
    Glock 19

Yep, should have warned you about that. They do insist that everyone do things the same way, at least for the first day or two. If you would have taken the 4-day class you would have seen them loosen up some as the instructors got more confident of everyone. It's a safety thing. They have people with all different skill levels (although most are not very experienced) and they are able to maintain the safety aspect better if everyone is doing the same thing for the first day or two.

The "slowly, reluctantly reholster" is very much a safety thing. It allows you to feel any resistance such as part of your shirttail or a thumb break or anything that might catch on the trigger. If you jam it in fast, there is more potential for something to cause the trigger to be depressed. Slowly reholstering is not a bad habit to get into.
    Last edited by AceHi; May 5th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    NRA Life Member

I've not heard anything positive about front sight, ever. Some very good shooters I know have called it a daycare for shooters. I've also had people tell me that the techniques they instill are, by and large, crap.
    Also, I have heard nothing but bad about Piazza as a person. And I say this all because I would not consider wasting my money on front sight, so they can read this email and deny me entry to their craptacular programs all they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by danielf View Post
    Sorry my bad. It was only for two days. My father got a first family cert form someone. THANK GOD, cause i wouldnt spend a freakin' dollar for that place! Im sorry, everyone has thier own shooting style but thier "weve tried it everyway possible and this is the best" bullcrap... Of all things the line coach kept tell me i reholster to fast. "you need to slow down one your holstering", he said...yeah well i know how to find my holster so im good thanks. It was basic ccw 8hr class stuff, and a bunch of tall tales. anyway, it was a watse of fuel and hotel bill. didnt learn a thing.... It was dumb. OH and the "focus on teh front sight, thats all that matters. why you think we call this place that" What? Really? Wow.....
    You must be quite the pistolero. Comparing the course to basic 8 hr CCW stuff is laughable. My 8 hr AZ ccw class consisted of 10 minutes on the range and 10 shots fired with no other gun handling skills or training. Your comments about disregarding safety advise is telling of your general attitude, so please inform us of your regular shooting locations so I can steer clear of them. Good luck with your shooting and attitude.

I concur with hayzor. The Front Sight training is far and above the standard 8hr AZ CCW class.

I've got no problem with them instilling the habit of a slow, deliberate reholster. That's where accidents happen. No reason to slam it in too fast. But, if that's not your style, then that's fine.

I've just returned from my second trip to Front Sight. I learned a little more this time. Since I was a return student, I didn't have to attend the lectures and got some 1 on 1 time with the range instructors. It was very helpful.

In my critique notes, at the end of the class, I wrote that they didn't stress 'focus on the front sight' enough! Maybe super-duper advanced shooters don't need to be reminded, but I felt like I needed to hear it.

Cut 'em some slack, they're dealing with a variety of shooters and their experience.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

Pistolero? Hahaha No. If you dont want to shoot with me because it DOESNT take me 10 min to put my weapon back in the rig with 5 crisp steps then thats fine with me. My attitude? My attitude is fine sir, how is yours? Why do i compare it to an 8hr ccw class? Becasue thats what they taught. I sat through 2 days of material that i learned in class for my ccw and Az gaurd cards. I mean thats even what the instructor said! I mean had i know i would have told dad to sell off that Cert and make some money.

asmkillr323, you are dead on. Unless you fork out tons of cash to retake classes or take the more pricey advanced drills class form the start, your better off just going to a ccw class and THEN if you want to be a better shooter....TRAIN! Get with someone (never shoot alone cause THATS WHEN accedents can happen) and train. Train like you are going to be shooting for life or death tomarrow. I dont know, i guess because of watching the vids and looking at the fliers made it looked exciting and more intense, i was just expecting more out of it and it never came. Even some of the attitude of the staff sucked. Just the way some of the belittled you is lame. So yeah asmkillr, its like a babysitters for shooter.
    Glock 17
    Glock 19

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links