Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada

This is a discussion on Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, after reviewing this thread a couple things need to be stated: 1: When someone asks for input on a training facility and are asking ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Front Sight Firearms Training In Nevada

JD
    Administrator
    OK, after reviewing this thread a couple things need to be stated:

1: When someone asks for input on a training facility and are asking for pros and cons, don't be surprised when people list the cons or their thoughts on the matter.

2: Unless user content is a clear violation or questionable of forum rules, take an extra five minutes and think about why it is that you are reporting that post etc.

3: This thread was started over a year ago, and the OP was not happy with his time spent there. Rather than revive a dead thread perhaps a thread for after action reviews would have been a better idea.

I'm reopening this, but if it continues it's current trend for tit-for-tat BS it won't last long.

Happy New Year east coast.

2. Remove Ads

When FS was offering a 1 day free smg class I went and had an great time shooting a full auto UZI.! They fed me a light breakfast and at the end of the day free pizza ! what's not to like? I stuck around to hear the sales pitch and Master Plan and passed on it. The buzz gun course was a hoot! I don't think they offer it anymore.
    Back then there was only one building and the range was a dirt/rock berm.I have no idea what it looks like today.

Well said, JD. Just as Gutshot has, I've said my piece. Thanks for the sanity.

My wife and I just returned from the 4 day defensive pistol course at Front Sight. I have been shooting for 60 years including competition shooting in the service and a tour in Viet Nam. I had a great time, learned how much I really didn't know and thought the course was fantastic. Already have plans to go back and avail myself to some of their other courses. IMHO, it is a great place to acquire a tremendous amount of knowledge and hone your shooting skills.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    My wife and I just returned from the 4 day defensive pistol course at Front Sight. I have been shooting for 60 years including competition shooting in the service and a tour in Viet Nam. I had a great time, learned how much I really didn't know and thought the course was fantastic. Already have plans to go back and avail myself to some of their other courses. IMHO, it is a great place to acquire a tremendous amount of knowledge and hone your shooting skills.
    Did you buy a membership or use a one-time course certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Have you ever been to other modern training schools?

I have been to Front Sight 3 times and each time have taken several people with me. Everyone of us have had a great time with excellent instruction. I simply wish I had been there at a much younger age...before I developed incorrect habits and techniques. To that end I bought lifetime memberships for all family members, including grandchildren to get them started correctly. I know there is a great deal said about the marketing, and I certainly understand, it does get old. But, they train more people every year than all other facilities/orgs. combined. Plus, they are building a new facility just outside Dallas, TX. Not bad for a company that many say is corrupt, bankrupt, failing, etc. My point is that if you want a quality program, don't hesitate to go.

I have been twice, 4 day handgun, and 4 day rifle, in 2012 so this is a little more current than the start of the thread. Excellent class, facilities, and
    instruction. (Yes, I have had other recent instruction, government, at a high level). i carry a duty weapon and requal every 6 months.
    I will be going back and I continue to recommend it to others.
    You can get a "lifetime" membership for a couple hundred dollars, which makes the instruction cost VERY reasonable.

Good student to instructor ratio

Lots of ladies there so it is a low threat non-intimidating school for women.

Good facilities

Facilities

Eighthtee

Just read through this thread. Sounds like the Front Sight training facility has evolved over the years and settled into something a bit different than originally envisioned. That happens as times and economies change.

I went to one of the 4 day defensive handgun courses there not long ago and came away with a lot of new skills and safety lessons to build a better foundation on. I spent the $250 for a Diamond membership through a long-time member there who was in my class and on his 9th refresher course. I think most people understand the skills involved with being a competent shooter are perishable. They need to be kept up constantly. In just 2 weeks our skills begin to fade. I don't mean we forget them of course; just that they become less instinct and more a thinking process. Some folks might be fine with that. The dry practice drills can be done anywhere and will keep those skills alive and well within us but sometimes it's just more fun to go to a live fire training course.

FS is always upgrading their training courses depending on what new methods and info becomes available. They are willing to listen to new ideas and consider them. I'm sure they have heard most of them by now. When I was out there they had around 100 range staff working there. It isn't a small operation at all but it does slow down in Julyl/Aug and the cold Winter months for obvious reasons.

I look forward to going there again and again over the coming years. I also took advantage of one of their sponsor's hearing aid and protection products from SportEar.com. While most hearing aids will enhance hearing and some do have noise cancelling properties; the SportEar specializes in it. They offered a free hearing test and will include the ear molds if someone goes with their custom series. The cool thing about them is they can be set to listen to conversations normally not heard in case someone suspects someone of doing something they may need to be answered in ways we train for. Hopefully not but better to be aware of it coming than getting caught off guard I think.

Oh, and not once was there anyone trying to sell memberships, at least not while I was there. I just happened to meet someone who had been given some to sell if he wanted to. It just came up in conversation. He didn't try to sell anything to me.

I attended the 4 day Handgun course in April, Had a great time, met a lot of great people. Will be going back in August for a 2 day night hand gun course and the 1 Day Armorer's Course (Glock). I have the Ambassador membership (18) of these, which allows me to attend all their courses, they have now or in the future. I spent 500 dollars for the membership. Out the 18, I have given 9 away to friends of mine and family. They in-turn may transfer their memberships to anyone. My friends and I will be going back in Oct to attend a 2 day Handgun course, only because that all the time they can spent this time. Hope to see some of you there in the future. I plan to attend at least 4 courses a year.

Robert

Front Sight provides good training.

I am 72 years old. I sent six years in the Army and was trained as an infantryman and qualified as Special Forces and served in the 1st Group. I have worked as a correctional officer (SQ State Prison) and as a federal narcotics agent (predecessor agency of DEA). I have owned and shot guns since a teenager. I have attended a variety of weapons training, military, LE, and civilian, including at Gunsite, located not far from my current home. I also have attended gunsmithing classes and additionally have built 1911s under the direction of three well-known pistolsmiths. I feel that, while not a professional, I know a bit about weapons, shooting, and training. I have attended 13 Front Sight classes and have found the training to be excellent, consistent, safe, and essentially of the same content and principles taught by other training organizations, both government and civilian. Over the years, the facilities have improved and are very adequate for the purpose they serve.

I don't know Piazza (although I certainly receive enough E-mails from him), but he has built a pretty large, well put together, and very well run firearms training facility which regularly trains large numbers of people. His basic handgun course is organized to take someone, male of female, young or old, physically adept or handicapped, who never before has fired a handgun, and within two days have them prepared to safely handle and fire their weapon. The next two days of the four-day course has them finishing with basic skills better than many who think of themselves as gun people. I see it happen during every four-day course I take. The two-day skill builder courses skip all the lectures and basic safety and gun handling stuff and after a quick refresher of range protocol gets right into shooting.

I have seen some instructors over time and others apparently leave. Every instructor, new or old, however, knows the curriculum and follows the script to a T. No one can say continuity is lacking, although different range masters and different instructors insert their own personalities. The curriculum has adjusted in small ways over time, but remains basically Jeff Cooper. Experienced shooters are asked to try out the techniques thought correct by Front Sight, but are not forced into changing anything that is not unsafe on the range. For active military or LE people, FS now says for them to not change anything from agency policy or standard procedure, so as not to disrupt their required way of doing things. I don't shoot handguns exactly like FS teaches, but pretty much do shotguns. The instructors never hassle me as long as I am safe and am getting good hits. Being a range, safety is a big thing, of course, and they will insist on certain protocol, such as, not muzzling anyone, keeping the finger off the trigger until on target, and holstering slowly (for good reason, too, I might add). They work individually with anyone having problems of any kind.

Piazza may have his personal issues; he might have stiffed someone at some time; he might be associated in some with with Scientology; he apparently has been sued and he has sued others; I know nothing about any of this stuff other than what I have read. I don't care. The weapons training is good. The facility is as good as any, and way better than many others, maybe even most. The people I have met while training there have been good, productive, out-front, honest hard-working people of seemingly high moral and ethical character, the kind of people most of us see ourselves as being and the type we want as family, friends, neighbors, and associates. Lifetime memberships can be had for rather cheap prices if one is careful and selective and no one is forced to listen to any sales pitch of any kind while at FS for training. Sales pitches received by E-mail can be deleted and you even can get removed from the FS mailing list. The same with phone calls; you can opt out. I have no idea what will happen with FS over the next several years, but it is thriving now and appears to have an excellent chance of being there and still training over the next several years, at any rate. Picking up a lifetime membership for less than $1000 is a steal, as taking only the four-day handgun, shotgun, and rifle courses alone would be worth well over any reasonable amount you spent on a membership. Checked out the prices at any other of the well-known training facilities lately?

I am speaking here from personal and recent experience at FS, having taken 13 classes there, my last one this very month, December 2013. I will be going there as long as it remains open, continues to provided the level of training I have come to expect, and I remain on my feet.

I have taken the time to write this long-winded missive for one reason only, to counter those Internet Experts who jabber on about a place where they never have been or against which they have some grievance and nothing better to do other than continually bray to the world about it. I wonder what other training they ever have participated in. I wonder how many rounds they fire each year. I wonder how may guns they own and how well they maintain the ones they have, if any. I wonder many things about them and the validity of their opinions, but I question the validity of opinions offered by people who never have participated in that of which they opine. I finish by noting that nearly every person I have read on this forum or other locations who has attended FS training speaks well of the training they received, regardless of their level of previous experience. That says something to me.
    K7lvo likes this.

Well stated, Jon. While I don't have your background or experience, for what it's worth, I agree!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think Jon's post was very well stated. I will add to it that while fairly experienced myself, the training I received at FS was far superior to what I got in the Police academy.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I just checked out their site for the first time in a long time (their whole "quiz" really irks the crap out of me - the hubris of this jackwagon to say what is the "best" handgun, the "best" caliber, the "best" HD weapon, the "best" everything else just makes me hate him, deep in my heart) to check on something. According to their site, the "Ambassador" membership costs TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS, not the $500 rearnold mentioned or the $1k JonSE mentioned. Am I missing something?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links