Shooting Ranges

This is a discussion on Shooting Ranges within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can some one tell me why a lot of ranges do not allow rapid firing. Now that most states have some kind of carry concealment, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Ranges

VIP Member

Shooting Ranges

Can some one tell me why a lot of ranges do not allow rapid firing. Now that most states have some kind of carry concealment, I feel learning to rapid fire your weapon is a must. The outdoor range by me requires 3 seconds between rounds. This is fine learning to hit your target but in a situation with a BG I'm sure we are, at least I am going to throw quite a few rounds at the BG. Which brings up another situation. I know of nowhere unless you own land in the country where you can practice shooting on the run. I feel this is also training everyone needs to protect themself. How do the rest of you feel?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Ben, welcome to the forum!

Regrettably, what you are finding are ranges that are setup for target shooters ONLY!

Most in MA are somewhat like that, although not as restrictive about rate of fire or number of rounds in gun, they don't allow shooting on the move.

Keep looking, I just joined a club that allows shooting on the move, so they do exist, just difficult to find.

As one of the international trainers taught us in a defensive tactics course . . . "if you are still standing in the same place you shot from when you finish shooting, you WILL get shot by the BG!"

ALL 19 years of my police qualification courses were fired from a stationary position, with no movement allowed!!

Assistant Administrator
    Hello Ben and welcome.

I call this syndrome - appeasing the lowest common denominator. Meaning - there are a great many folks - the majority perhaps, who visit the range for little else but plinking - no real serious practice such as we CCW's wish to perform.

There are of course some logistical probs to being able to shoot on the move and there I think IDPA competition is one answer that can help. But rapid fire - well, seems the regular Joe plinker just makes a fuss when he gets all the noise and will whine about distractions - and maybe brass hitting him!

It is needed tho and hard sometimes for a range to effect a good compromize. You get folks who only want to empty mags quick as they can for the hell of it - not practice as we would rate it - then too another example is the AK owner who wants purely to burn up ammo. I like some rapid with any gun but can see that there are limits for some folk's tastes.

So hard to please everyone. I am so lucky that I have two small local ranges where I can go during week and all but guarantee no one around and so - I can practice any old which way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Liability there's your answer there.. Since i know the owners well they will let me shoot rapid if i ask them and range isn't to full they will let me and put me away from everyone else

VIP Member
    Thank you guys for replying back. But this is my thought on this. Part of my responsibilities of having a CCW is knowing when not to draw my weapon but that is only half of it, the other shoud be knowing what to do if I have to draw it. After I took CCW course for Missouri, I also signed up for an urban tactical course given by a LEO. It was a great course but not cheap. We rapid fired, we ran and rapid fire and we went through a lot of ammo. I can go to an indoor range and rapid fire but that does not help train me if I happen to get into a gun battle, which is something I hope never happens. I'm just saying there should be some place us city people could practice to make us more responsible CCW owners and that does not cost us an arm and a leg. Thanks again guys for the nice welcome and letting me put my two cents in.

Our indoor range doesn't allow rapid firing because of the few who tear up the target hangers, shoot the ceiling, etc. I have been there when they do. Just as Bud said, if no one is there, they will usually let you practice rapid fire if they know you won't kill the lights.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i caught a peice of jacket in the end of my nose at the indoor from a guy that didnt have any buisness shooting a gun that he rented shot gangst style and waved around shooting the celing the target hangers and one point the floor i went out asked if i could shoot in the ccw class range and im know there they let me rapid fire i.e. trippl taps think they dont alow the avrage guy to rapid fire because they will rent a gun to any one that walks in and face it some folks shouldnt shoot

VIP Member
    When I ran an outdoor range the limitation on rapid and full-auto firing was to do a little something to appease the neighbors. The range was established as a "sight-in" range, but had evolved over the years. If the neighbors heard what they thought was full-auto or rapid firing they were on the phone lickity-split. So that was the reason for the limitation on our range.

Other ranges limit it because every yahoo watching a movie or "The Unit" is going to show up and want to start blasting as fast as they can. That is how your range gets tore up. It costs the operator money to repair that damage and the yahoos that do most of the damage shoot once or twice, so they don't pay, the regulars wind up paying. Along with the lack of control that results in the range being all tore up,there is the danger to other shooters. So that enters into the equation as well.

Having run a range I have seen some of the dumbest, most ignorant things done with firearms. Just when I thought I had seen it all, someone dumber would come along and do something else. I used to be a 2nd Amendment absolutist that anyone not in prison should be able to own a firearm. Now I have to say there are some folks that shouldn't own guns. It was a sad day for me when I first said that.

-Scott-

I agree with you Ben that there should be places we city people can get 'real world' experience. I dont know of any places here in Ga that offer that.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The thing I find as odd is the ranges that teach CCW classes and allow IDPA matches that won't let you draw from a holster!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy
    The outdoor range by me requires 3 seconds between rounds.
    That is strange, that means you can't fire a standard National Match Course.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Ben, go to www.uspsa.org. You can find a club that shoots USPSA matches. It's a great way to practice and great fun.
    Dave

VIP Member
    Thank you Airedale. I added that site to my favorites. I wish my comunication skills were better so that I could make my point more clear. Let me try it this way. I want to be a responsible CCW holder as I'm sure all of us do. Part of being a responsible CCW holder is being comfortible with your self in a conflict or out of one. I'm very comfortible with myself out of a conflict But putting myself in one, my skills are only inmaginary. I have in my mind what I will do but my only training is a four hour course I took two years ago. Doing the wrong thing can land you in jail or financailly broke for the rest of your life or both. Lets face it you can get a CCW permit without any real life training. And where do you get these real life training? Well that leaves you searching for something hard to find. Like I said I took a fiur hour course about two years ago given by a LEO. It would be great if I ciuld find an urban tactical course for about an hour that I would take once a month. RANGE owners there is a big demand for this and as for as liablity have a qulified instructor there and make your patron sign waivers. I'm sure your classes will be filled. Well let me stop before I start sounding like I'm whinning. Thank You people for listening.

Assistant Administrator
    Ben - I'll bet there are folks like me around that could help - tho of course having a suitable range is important.

Tho I teach NRA stuff I am available also to do one on one practice tuition drills locally - as I have access to two ranges that are ideal.

Problem is getting folks to know about it - and tho I have left some cards in local gun shop - still no takers. I don't want to advertise/promote this big time and I am not the king of tac' training but - know well I can sharpen most regular CCW folk's skills with ease, given the chance to get them to the range.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

most ranges don't because of the "nuts" that will shoot up everything in sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links