New member need advice FAST

This is a discussion on New member need advice FAST within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OPFOR is dead on! I could not agree more. So much so that I have nothing more to add to that. This past weekend I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member need advice FAST

OPFOR is dead on! I could not agree more.

So much so that I have nothing more to add to that.

This past weekend I was a student in an 18 hr. NRA 'Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor' course for Smith & Wesson associated instructors (I passed with a 90/96) and this exact same discussion point came up.
    All of us in the group being experienced shooters and instructors as well as both the master instructor (certified in all classifications) as well as the 'Training Counselor' lead instructor agreed unanimously that use of conventional sighting methods ala front & rear sight aiming is and should be a mandatory primary skill to _MASTER_ as before transitioning to use of laser,or flash sight picture or pointshooting which are all advanced methods of aimed fire.

The OP and his wife both would be well served to get themself into a proper introduction to basic pistol course be it offered via the NRA or some other group.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx > 'NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course'

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I love the 1911 and contrary to popular opinion it's a great gun to teach women on because the size is right (my opinion). That being said, full size is a lot easier to handle (usually a much heavier spring in the small ones for one), has less recoil and as mentioned above, is usually a bit more reliable. They also take more training to operate effectively under stress than say a Glock because of the necessary safety manipulation. They are also the king of feedway stoppages and require relatively more maintenance.

Ditto on the laser sights. Learn to shoot with the real sights AND learn how much sight and fundamental application you really need to shoot at different ranges for different applications.

The best thing about lasers is their deterrent value. I never had much use for lasers until I was on the recieving end of about 20 of them.....

Best advice is to find some high level instruction that can teach you not just the fundamentals of shooting, but the gunhandling and mindset necessary to perform under high stress before, during and after the fight. Keep in mind that avoiding and deterring should be your primary objectives for any defensive purpose.

Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    OPFOR is dead on! I could not agree more.

So much so that I have nothing more to add to that.

This past weekend I was a student in an 18 hr. NRA 'Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor' course for Smith & Wesson associated instructors (I passed with a 90/96) and this exact same discussion point came up.
    All of us in the group being experienced shooters and instructors as well as both the master instructor (certified in all classifications) as well as the 'Training Counselor' lead instructor agreed unanimously that use of conventional sighting methods ala front & rear sight aiming is and should be a mandatory primary skill to _MASTER_ as before transitioning to use of laser,or flash sight picture or pointshooting which are all advanced methods of aimed fire.

The OP and his wife both would be well served to get themself into a proper introduction to basic pistol course be it offered via the NRA or some other group.

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training > 'NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course'

- Janq
    As usual, good advice jang,OPFOR
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The fundamentals should be the basis of any shooting regimen. Without these, a laser is an expensive distraction. If she is willing to undergo training, get her enough training to make it useful, and always start (and continue, and finish) with the fundamentals.

Yes, there may not be time for a perfect stance, grip, alignment, sight picture, etc, but if she doesn't know them at all then we are guaranteeing failure before we even start. Imagine trying to teach a basketball player a 3-point jump shot before you taught him to dribble...
    +1

I have the 9mm of that gun. I find it wonderful. There is nothing to 'master' about a 1911. Like any SA gun that you carry cocked and locked, she needs to practice drawing and fliping of the safety. Id doesn't take long to learn but is very imprtant. This can be done at home with an empty gun.
    As a small woman, I dont find the 45 hard to shoot, but a 3" light weight 45 does have a good amount of kick. She will need to get used to it if it isn't steel. If it is steel it wont kick more than my AL frame 9mm.
    I also have the laser grips on my kimber. I highly suggest starting her off with sights. Remind her. front sight front sight front sight. thats all she needs to worry about starting off. When you get into problems like flinching, doing some ball and dummy drills with the laser on can be very helpful. This way she can SEE how far off her bullet will go when she flinches.
    I think lasers can be very useful and have their place (obviously, since I have one). But you need to realize the huge difference between using a laser and using sights. When you use sights, you need to look at the front sight, and only the front sight, and aquire it quickly. When you use a laser you look at your target. So this is what I suggest and what I practice:
    For longer distances (10'), use your sights. dont use the laser, and do a normal 2 handed grip in a good stance.
    For shorter distances (5'), practice shooting one handed, from the hip, using the laser. Practice in strange positions- laying down, shooting around a barrel, etc. Lasers are GREAT for those times that you dont have the time or dont have room to get both hands on the gun and shoot 'properly'.
    I also suggest making sure she knows the basics well enough before doing this kind of defensive practice shooting. Start her off my normal two handed grip and the sights. Eventually teach her what to do in the close up and awkward attack situtations, b/c this will most likely be the way she would have to use the gun.
    Also, you mentioned she will only use the gun for defence. Make SURE she keeps going to the range and practicing. Obviously for most of us guns have become a big hobby, and we enjoy just 'target shooting' as well, but don't let her think that just b/c it isnt a hobby, doesnt mean she shouldnt be going to the range just as often as those for whom it is.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Kinda old thread, but what the heck. First mag or two should only have one round in it. Then two, then five, then load 'em up. Give a new shooter the opportunity to experience the recoil w/o then having a loaded gun in hand. Then get used to the joys of a semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Kinda old thread, but what the heck. First mag or two should only have one round in it. Then two, then five, then load 'em up. Give a new shooter the opportunity to experience the recoil w/o then having a loaded gun in hand. Then get used to the joys of a semi-auto.
    Good point, those unexpected 'double taps' can be dangerous and a bit intimidating...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links