New member need advice FAST

This is a discussion on New member need advice FAST within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now. Thanks for sharing your information. Here is my situation. The wife and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member need advice FAST

New member need advice FAST

I have been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now. Thanks for sharing your information. Here is my situation. The wife and I just took a concealed weapons class and are applying for our concealed permits. We stopped by the gun store the other day and she came home with a 3" Kimber .45 with laser sights. She has little experience with handguns but wants to learn, and safety is a priority. I plan on some discussion and pointers with some gun familiarity at home ( unloaded of course) before we go to the range on Tuesday night. Her only purpose of a handgun is personal defense. Here is my question. Because it has the laser grips should I teach her ususal sight techniques and then add the laser or just start with the laser from the get go. I believe if/when a weapon is discharged for self defense it will proably happen so fast, and the distance so short that extensive practice with sight picture, squeeze will be of little value. Any experience regarding teaching a non-shooter is appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Ads

You need to give her the whole experience. She must know how to use the sights effectively (laser could go dead when she needs it). Also as you say, if you should ever need to use the weapon for SD it is more than likely you will be up close and personal and will not have time to use either the sights or the laser. Good luck. It is also nice that shooting will be something you can share for life, some real quality time.

Dave M.

Has she fired a .45 before?

VIP Member
    The fundamentals should be the basis of any shooting regimen. Without these, a laser is an expensive distraction. If she is willing to undergo training, get her enough training to make it useful, and always start (and continue, and finish) with the fundamentals.

Yes, there may not be time for a perfect stance, grip, alignment, sight picture, etc, but if she doesn't know them at all then we are guaranteeing failure before we even start. Imagine trying to teach a basketball player a 3-point jump shot before you taught him to dribble...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, my advice is yes, laser on.

More importantly emphasis should be on the proper handling of a 1911, which can be a tough handgun to master if one is not familiar with it's operation. It is made to carry loaded with a round in the chamber, cocked and locked. You did not state your familiarity of the 1911 and I'm not second guessing your decision but, I for one would not buy my wife, (who does not share the same passion for the shooting sport as me) a compact 1911. A .45 ACP has a fairly stout recoil and if limp wristed it can fail to feed. Also, unless she plans to carry it, a 4" or 5" would make a better home defense gun, better yet something like a Glock 19, S&W M&P or Springfield XD in 9mm.

This maybe more opinion than you asked for, but heck it was free! At least your wife is willing to learn how to shoot.
    Proud NRA member

Lead Moderator
    As orangevol sated, a 1911 is not a beginner gun. Unless your wife is really willing to invest time and effort to master the 1911 I would also suggest a different gun.
    If grip size is an issue , consider a single stack compact such as a Walther PPS or Kahr pistol.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The fundamentals should be the basis of any shooting regimen. Without these, a laser is an expensive distraction. If she is willing to undergo training, get her enough training to make it useful, and always start (and continue, and finish) with the fundamentals.
    Always start with the basics. Let her develop proper habits/techniques this way. It will increase her competence/confidence with the weapon, and prevent her learning bad habits that will have to be un-trained later. Then, you can worry about the laser, and the actual SD-type shooting.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    First, she surely started off with a Cadillac. Nice. I'm in favor of forgetting that there's a laser option for some time. Just leave it alone. Learn to shoot with sights first. Many benefits, no downside. And that little button thingy can be a safety issue while learning the proper, safe handling of a weapon. Safety first w/minimal distractions. The process of the learning experience is large enough.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

A laser is of no use without learning proper trigger control. Jerking the trigger is a missed shot regardless of aiming system, and I dare anyone to show me that they can activate, line up and steady that red dot faster than I can aquire my front sight.

No she has not shot the .45 before but I feel confident she can handle that. I'll turn off the laser and start her with the basics. The 1911 is not too hard to master. I just donlt want her to learn any bad habits. I'll keep you posted. Thanks to all.

Good idea keeping the laser of. They look neat but form my limited experience before I moved the best thing about them is they allow more accurate fire from inaccurate firing positions
    Last edited by AlexHassin; April 19th, 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: s.p.

Definitely needs to be dedicated for the 1911. Sounds like she is enthusiastic. That helps. I agree with those who say forget the laser, teach her to shoot then let her learn the laser as a tool much much later.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    My wife is a 120 lb Ballet Dancer and she handels a 1911 quite well.
    That said, a 3 inch verson will have a heck of a oomph to it. You MUSY start with the basic s, Use Ayoob's Crush Grip as a start.
    Go to kathy Jackson's site corneredcat.com for great female advice.
    You are in the N W so call Marty Hayes at the Firearms Academy of Seattle and get a couple of classes from the female instructors, Kathy Jackson and Dianne Walls.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    That said, a 3 inch verson will have a heck of a oomph to it.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    That said, a 3 inch verson will have a heck of a oomph to it.
    I would be worried about possible jamming with the shorter 1911s, esp. due to limp wristing.

Also, I would be especially concerned about grip / upper body strength required to rack the slide easily and perform remedial drills (i.e. tap, rack / bang).

But I sure hope she likes it. I've been mildly surprised by how many women I've heard choose a 1911 for the ease of shooting -- I think it's related to that wonderful single action trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links