Clearing buildings and rooms... - Page 2

Clearing buildings and rooms...

This is a discussion on Clearing buildings and rooms... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 120mm 1. If a break in is obvious, I do what you suggest. I consolidate my family and call 911. This is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Clearing buildings and rooms...

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    1. If a break in is obvious, I do what you suggest. I consolidate my family and call 911.
    This is my point. The self-defense related objective of being armed as a civilian should be to protect yourself and your family. Given your location you're obviously familiar with the two way range...always something to be avoided if possible as a civilian.

As you point out, pulling out your weapon and hunting down an intruder in your house is less likely to succesfully accomplish the objective of protecting yourself and your family than consolidating and calling the cavalry or (if outside) just walking/driving away and calling them.

Wow you guys really go all out. In the Air Force we just stick our head in a room and ask if anyone's there. If they say "No" we leave.

And DS99, not to be rude, but while you're right, while building clearing should normally be done by a team of trained professionals there will be times when a private individual may need to.
    DRM likes this.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Wow you guys really go all out. In the Air Force we just stick our head in a room and ask if anyone's there. If they say "No" we leave.

And DS99, not to be rude, but while you're right, while building clearing should normally be done by a team of trained professionals there will be times when a private individual may need to.
    Those times are very few and far between and should be undertaken with a full recognition of the challenges and difficulties to be faced. A one-man clear is a very dangerous, tedious (and exhausting) procedure and should be avoided at all costs. If you don't know how to do it properly...DON'T DO IT. I do think this is where dogs can play a role in an HD scenario.
    jace33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post

Yes there will be times and we should train for them. Please seek professional training for this type of situation. Gutshot makes some valid points. Just because you know how, doesnt mean you should. That being said, if my littles ones are inside and I come home, Im going in....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    That being said, if my littles ones are inside and I come home, Im going in....
    This...

If you have a loved one that may be in danger, or someone whose life means more to you than your own, a decision to hold fast becomes obsolete. This is where proper training and a recognition of the risks involved yield significant benefit and may mean all the difference in the world. You won't do that person any good at all if you end up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by GutshotJohn View Post
    This...

If you have a loved one that may be in danger, or someone whose life means more to you than your own, a decision to hold fast becomes obsolete. This is where proper training and a recognition of the risks involved yield significant benefit and may mean all the difference in the world. You won't do that person any good at all if you end up dead.
    Agreed, only one thing, I would rather me be dead than them. I have enough in place to take care of them.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Agreed, my point was that if you do it wrong, you won't get that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GutshotJohn View Post
    Agreed, my point was that if you do it wrong, you won't get that choice.
    I understood....

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I won't even start to explain how I conduct myself at my place of work.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    THIS is an awesome idea I'd not before considered!
    You gotta be kidding me?
    No offense, but thats taught at the basic mout training for marines.
    you sure you just didn't forget?

Lightbulb The times they are a changin'!

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    You gotta be kidding me?
    No offense, but thats taught at the basic mout training for marines.
    you sure you just didn't forget?
    Well, lookee here, I was taught those techniques in 1980 and the bottom line was: Kill the enemy! So, NEVER USE A DOOR if you can blow a hole in the wall. Well, that was before collateral damage became such an issue. Remember I was training to fight WWIII against the USSR. Not small urban ops in tight confines where anybody that gets killed BESIDES the specific targets often just spawns more bad guys! If you can't blow a hole in a wall, toss in one or more 'nades and the result is the same. Always clear buildings from the top down to avoid "ALAMO SYNDROME." But that's not possible in today's environment is it? Yeah, it's possible that it was taught to me and I forgot. That happens more and more as I get older. But it's nice to be "reminded" if I did forget.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

SamRudolph pretty much summed it up. There are many variations on how to do it and every new place you go will throw in something you havent heard before. I have nine years of Infantry experience and have had the opportunity to train with Global Tactical on SWAT entry and clearance techniques. The MOUT Homepage has both Marine and Army tactical manuals as well as many other references.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

And here we are civilians living in a civilian world discussing military operations. For the purpose of gaming I'd have no problem with doing it. I cant see anyone outside some few SWAT teams, or HSLD security teams performing military premis clearing. I personally believe these tactics should be limited to the Military that is trained practiced, and equipped to do it properly, and safely.

I do believe that civilian's, and armed citizens should have some idea of how to make safe their own home in extreme situations. But I dont think military tactics is the answer. I'd like to see some school develop a program to teach just this. Police Officers search, and clear all kind of places alone, or with one other officer every day.

This conversation should also cover the difference between a military premis search, and a police search. Two completely different skill set's.
    Well thats just my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Well, lookee here, I was taught those techniques in 1980 and the bottom line was: Kill the enemy! So, NEVER USE A DOOR if you can blow a hole in the wall. Well, that was before collateral damage became such an issue. Remember I was training to fight WWIII against the USSR. Not small urban ops in tight confines where anybody that gets killed BESIDES the specific targets often just spawns more bad guys! If you can't blow a hole in a wall, toss in one or more 'nades and the result is the same. Always clear buildings from the top down to avoid "ALAMO SYNDROME." But that's not possible in today's environment is it? Yeah, it's possible that it was taught to me and I forgot. That happens more and more as I get older. But it's nice to be "reminded" if I did forget.
    I appologize, i did see some of the tactics change from 1990 to 2005. I just always remember that door pinning tactic for some reason. One time i forgot to pin it and an instructor painted the back of my head with sims.

I know i know you guys had the miles gear. hehe j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    And here we are civilians living in a civilian world discussing military operations. For the purpose of gaming I'd have no problem with doing it. I cant see anyone outside some few SWAT teams, or HSLD security teams performing military premis clearing. I personally believe these tactics should be limited to the Military that is trained practiced, and equipped to do it properly, and safely.

I do believe that civilian's, and armed citizens should have some idea of how to make safe their own home in extreme situations. But I dont think military tactics is the answer. I'd like to see some school develop a program to teach just this. Police Officers search, and clear all kind of places alone, or with one other officer every day.

This conversation should also cover the difference between a military premis search, and a police search. Two completely different skill set's.
    Well thats just my opinion anyway.
    I agree. nothing to knock swat but my last trip to Iraq we had to retrain some reservist that never had any cqb schooling when they got there. these guys were stacking like it was a camera shoot. all 6 guys focused on the door, muzzles pointed at the door.
    No one was holding security in the typical 360 degree battle field 6 man stack.
    we found out that their unit couldnt get any mount or cqb classes schduled and paid a charlotte swat agency some thing like 1400$ a marine for a 3 day course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links