Tap, Rack, KABOOM!!!

This is a discussion on Tap, Rack, KABOOM!!! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Squib loads... something we all have faced or may face one day... This is something that has had me thinking about adding something to the ...

Thread: Tap, Rack, KABOOM!!!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

Tap, Rack, KABOOM!!!

Squib loads... something we all have faced or may face one day... This is something that has had me thinking about adding something to the traditional "failures" training...

Here is the scenario.

Like a responsible CHL holder you have practiced with drawing, re-holstering and dry firing as well as live fire; in fact you are a crack shot and confident in your abilities. You also prepare just in case Murphy whacks you upside the head by practicing the famous Tap Rack Boom procedure.
    (For those not familiar in a failure to fire the technique dictates to "Tap" the bottom of the magazine to be sure it is seated, "Rack" the slide to chamber a new round and actuate the trigger "Boom".)
    One day you are out and (insert time, place, and circumstances...) the worst happens... you must defend your life against an attacker... you are threatened and unable to retreat, you draw, acquire target and actuate the trigger... you get a pop not bang... (it could have been a false ignition or having faulty powder you get a squib load). In the heat of the moment you TRB only instead of boom... you get KABOOM!

Adding snap caps or spent brass in random places within a loaded mag when you practice is pretty standard... what about adding something that goes "pop" instead of click like primed brass without bullet ? This would be training the mind to go for a backup weapon instead of attempting a TRB? I would imagine this training could save someone's hand, face and arm or even their life. Or do you think this would be too much for the brain to process in the heat of the moment?

Something to think about
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Remove Ads

wow 75 views and nobody has anything to say?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The training would be great, however, in the actual heat of the moment when your life is in danger, your probably going to pull the trigger as many times as needed, if that is possible, in a very short period of time.

If the gun goes KABOOM, you won't realize it until it happens.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    wow 75 views and nobody has anything to say?

If you combine the odds of having to use your CCW with the odds of having a squib in that very same instant, I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about. I think you probably have a better chance of getting attacked and killed by a rabid panda in downtown Butte, Montana.

In other words, I am going to spend more time planning on my personal defense stategy for encountering trunk monkeys with Uzis than I am worrying about a squib during a SD situation.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

VIP Member
    Yes you could add this type of training to your schedule but what actions would it entail except throw it at bad guy as you go for backup if you are carrying one.
    If you are unlucky enough to be in a SD encounter and have your primary go down with a barrel obstruction God is looking down on you saying to the angels "Oh this is gonna be good".
    I honestly had never thought of those two things together though now got me thinking. As the saying goes one is none and two is one.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If you have a barrel obstruction from a sqiub load, [chances are you will] the best drill would be to practice running up to the BG, with a new round chambered. sticking the gun by his head and pulling the trigger, because now you have a handgrenade.

Most modern, well made combat handguns can actually be fired with a bullet in the barrel and not blow up. I've seen it happen in person with a M9 and the weapon kept functioning. Your weapon is toast afterwards and will probably have to be sawed in half to be taken apart because of the barrel bulge, but it probably won't actually blow up.

I certainly wouldn't want to try it for fun but if you're in a gunfight and your life is on the line either way, clear it and keep shooting. If you carry a weapon that you know will blow up if this happens, recognize it as a limitation and vulnerability you're accepting with your chosen equipment.

Dusty Salomon, SMT Director of Training, www.smtfirearms.com

The drill would still be the same...Tap, Rack, Bang...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    If you combine the odds of having to use your CCW with the odds of having a squib in that very same instant, I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about. I think you probably have a better chance of getting attacked and killed by a rabid panda in downtown Butte, Montana.

In other words, I am going to spend more time planning on my personal defense stategy for encountering trunk monkeys with Uzis than I am worrying about a squib during a SD situation.
    yep it could never happen. Lets just write it off as an impossibility and move on to more "there are too many variables" scenarios.

Failures happen no matter if your gun cost you a couple hundred or a couple thousand and if your ammo cost you .30c per round or $3.00 per round. Simulating a Fail To Fire, FTF, FTE, and Stovepipes I though it would be good to simulate a worst case scenario. If not for normal training maybe just a PSA. You gun can be completely reliable but even so it isn't the only thing that can fail. If your gun or ammo fails to maybe have a backup plan?

Kind of like a car. You rely on it every day but one day you go to a station and pump in stagnant fuel or water because they didn't maintain their tanks... it's not the car's fault, the station didn't look bad or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    The training would be great, however, in the actual heat of the moment when your life is in danger, your probably going to pull the trigger as many times as needed, if that is possible, in a very short period of time.

If the gun goes KABOOM, you won't realize it until it happens.
    I'm going with Hiram on this issue. In the heat of the moment, when it's up close and personal (bad breath distance), I think you are going to keep pulling the trigger, you may rack the slide and pull the trigger. Either way, I don't believe you will even recognize a squib load.

You have to understand what happens to the human body when you are in full body alarm mode! Natural phenomenon occurs with the body in which you have absolutely no control over. It's basically a matter of hit or miss as to which of the phenomenon is going to strike you.

For example, one of the most common occurrences is auditory exclusion. Several tests have been done as well as interview with eye witness accounts of gunfights.

Frequently the shooter them self hear absolutely no gunshots what so ever.

They have then interviewed witnesses who were within mere feet of the shooter at the time. Close enough to the action where they were jazzed up and amped up who report hearing "soft pops" of the gunfire.

Witnesses interviewed far removed from the incident, either across the street or at the end of the block and in a relative area of safety are the ones who report hearing the loud unabated report of the gunshots.

There seems to be a direct correlation to the closer you are to the danger, the more profound the "auditory exclusion" affects the hearing.

It has been explained that scientists believe during a threat to your life, you brain is focusing on visual cues since you have to see what is going to kill you in order to defend against it. Therefore the brain shuts down a lot of the other senses in order to focus all its attention directly on seeing the threat.

To my knowledge, Massad Ayoob is the only one who really speaks of this routinely in training and it is incorporated in his LFI-1 program.

You can also get this information by purchasing his DVD Physio-Psychological Aspects of Violent Encounters.

I would say greater than 90% of all gun owners are totally oblivious to this critical information which may save their life.

I frequently discuss these issues with people and LEO's who are absolutely certain they will know everything which will happen to them in a gunfight because the adrenaline will make them more aware.

So, I ask them about such things as amaurosis fugax, cognitive dissonance, auditory exclusion and tachypsychia and they go, "what?" "huh?" I have to say, "but you said you know all about the effects of adrenaline on the body."

Remember, what you don't know can get you killed. The kicker is, if you don't know something exists, you don't even know that you don't know that there's information out there that you should know.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links