CCW Instructor

CCW Instructor

This is a discussion on CCW Instructor within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm putting some thought into becoming a CCW instructor. I live in Vegas, NV and am wondering what courses I would have to take ...

Thread: CCW Instructor

CCW Instructor

So I'm putting some thought into becoming a CCW instructor. I live in Vegas, NV and am wondering what courses I would have to take or paperwork I would have to fill out in order to give the class/qualification that we all took for our permits. I'm guessing it would go thru the NRA and be recognized by the state some how? Does anyone know where I can look to find this information? How expensive is it?

I would just do it on the side for now and maybe later roll it into some kind of firearms training instructor. I think I'm a good teacher and love educating people (with the facts) on how to SMARTLY protect themselves.

There has to be atleast a handful of you out there who do exactly this. How do I get started?
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Take the three fundamental NRA courses. Basic Instructor, Pistol Instructor, Defense of the Home.
    We had a Las Vegas attorney inthese classe with Jim Neff at Rio Salado in Phoenix. last year.
    Then you have to get into the intensive training crowd.
    If you can possibly get into one of Mas Ayoob classes that should take priority. massadayoobgroup.com.
    Then get on the Firearms Academy of Seattle website and take classes from marty hayes. Look at Gunsite and see when Ed Stock is training, lok at when Brownie and Matt T are teaiing.
    These folks will give you the whole gamut of technique.
    If James Yeager is in your area take his courses.
    You must join the Armed citizens Legal defense Network if you want any legal peace of mind, it brings Ayoob and Hayes to your side.

Administrator
    All you have to do is take a weekend class from the NRA. If you want to be a professional and set yourself apart from all the other fly by night "instructors" who read the material out of another mans book, you need to gain experience in the real world and be able to speak from experience, not just regurgitate what you have read or what others have told you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Just recently got all my credentials back from the NRA and I am very excited about it. You still may have to check state regulations as some of them vary. For example in some states you may have to be a Range safety Officer also(RSO). Here in LA you mail a true Copy of your credentials to State Police and they mail you a letter with a instructor number . I m Looking forwaRD TO IT.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Advice

My best is advice is this; never fish in a swimming pool. Never fish in ariver where there are more fishermen than fish. never h unt in a woodlot where you can see fifteen hunters in tree stands five on the ground, and two or three more watching the woods from their pick up truck. In short, check out the competition before you get involved in ANY business. Rockefeller himself said competition ewas ruinous.
    Second, seven feet tall ain't but a foot taller than six foot tall. Two eighty aint but 60 pounds heavier than two twenty. An I.Q. of 120 is 20 points more than an I. q. of 100. So you are above average? Do you want to do what it takes to compete against twenty people some smarter, some better, than you?
    Concealed carry has exploded around my area. I am the best qualified instructor, as far as NRA cert.s Several LEOs are now getting into training, and cutting prices IN HALF. IN HALF.... Did you get that IN HALF. If you want to do somethng good fore the world, put a few extra dollars in the offering plate at church, don't put some body else out of business by dabbling in somnethng you don't know anything about. Those retired LEOs have just as much right to instruct CCw classes as I do, and they can do it for free, if they so choose, nothing illegal, or even imoral about it. If you have a job now, the same applies to you.
    On the other hand, if you are really serious, get every cert you can. Get certified to do pepper spray and TASER classes, too. Maybe Kubaton.Talk to the rotarians, the lions, the recent high school graduates, the ladies auxilliary at every church that will let you in. Talk to them to sell them REFUSE tO Be a Victim seminar.
    Get in with a good gun store whose owner is not a tobbacco chewing, slobbering gun show comando, or a cammo wearing, tattooed butthole with a name like "Fox 21" or "BTK TANGO". ( good luck). And Work like a dog to get your name out amoung non gun people ( tobacco chewing slobering gunshow comandos already know the value of a colt such and sunch a year with a gold trigger, they also already know how to shoot. too bad they are lacking knowledge of basic personal hygene. all they want is the cheapest cert.) .
    If you are Clean cut, energetic, well spoken, and you truly love to teach, and are good at it, and we have another really good fifty percent growth year, I say go for it.If you are in it for the money, or because you want to demonstrate the latest internet gun school skill you learned on a dvd, for get it. What if you are a micheal Jordan in the defensive pistol world? Ever notice how MJ can't reproduce himself, i.e. coach a team? If all the conditionms above apply, you might make around thirty K next year. Other wise, you are just making it hard on the poor other guys who really are trying to make a living, and also taking the fun out of it for yourself.
    CCW training has been a God send for me. It has given me back my self respect, my dignity. i am abbel to do something for the comunity, and make a living, bairly. I AM a good comunicator, and I do work like a dog, at everything i do. It has almost taken the fun out of the shooting sports. I nevr get to compete anymore. But it has made me dispise dabblers even more than i ever did.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

Las Vegas, NV - June 25-27, 2010

NRA Instructor Training - Las Vegas, NV - Final Course Payment - $300.00

NRA Instructor Courses

NRA Instructor Training - Las Vegas, NV - Final Course Payment
    $300.00
    NRA Certified Instructor Course - Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home

This 26 hour course is designed to provide the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to allow students who successfully complete the training to be certified as NRA Instructors for Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home.

Topics discussed will include:

•The Instructor and NRA Basic Firearms Training
    •Use of Training Materials and Training Aids
    •Organizing your NRA Basic Course
    •Preparing to Teach
    •Pistol Knowledge and Safe Handling
    •Ammunition Knowledge
    •Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
    •Evaluating and Improving Performance of Beginning Pistol Shooters
    •Introduction to Defensive Shooting
    •Basic Defensive Handgun Skills
    •Firearms and the Law
    •Strategies for Home Safety
    •Responding to a Violent Confrontation
    •Selecting a Handgun for Self-Defense
    •Use of Deadly Force in Self-Defense
    All instructor canditates are required to undergo a pre-course assessment which will include a written test and live fire qualification. A score of 80% or higher on the written test and is required to be accepted into the course. Live fire pre-qualification requires that the instructor candidate demonstrate basic safe handling and unloading procedures, all basic shooting positions and shooting fundamentals. All shots must be on target and at least one target must have a minimum group size of 5.5 inches at a range of 50 feet.

Course completion does NOT automatically result in certification. Instructor candidates must demostrate mastery of teaching skills, safety procedures, firearms skills and personal marksmanship ability prior to certification.

After registering for this course, you will receive a written confirmation from APDI via email approximately 10 days prior to the course date. The confirmation will include class times, directions to the class location and a list of items you will need to bring for the class. Please contact APDI at 480-607-5144 with any questions.

Las Vegas, NV - June 25-27, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
    My best is advice is this; never fish in a swimming pool. Never fish in ariver where there are more fishermen than fish. never h unt in a woodlot where you can see fifteen hunters in tree stands five on the ground, and two or three more watching the woods from their pick up truck. In short, check out the competition before you get involved in ANY business. Rockefeller himself said competition ewas ruinous.
    Second, seven feet tall ain't but a foot taller than six foot tall. Two eighty aint but 60 pounds heavier than two twenty. An I.Q. of 120 is 20 points more than an I. q. of 100. So you are above average? Do you want to do what it takes to compete against twenty people some smarter, some better, than you?
    Concealed carry has exploded around my area. I am the best qualified instructor, as far as NRA cert.s Several LEOs are now getting into training, and cutting prices IN HALF. IN HALF.... Did you get that IN HALF. If you want to do somethng good fore the world, put a few extra dollars in the offering plate at church, don't put some body else out of business by dabbling in somnethng you don't know anything about. Those retired LEOs have just as much right to instruct CCw classes as I do, and they can do it for free, if they so choose, nothing illegal, or even imoral about it. If you have a job now, the same applies to you.
    On the other hand, if you are really serious, get every cert you can. Get certified to do pepper spray and TASER classes, too. Maybe Kubaton.Talk to the rotarians, the lions, the recent high school graduates, the ladies auxilliary at every church that will let you in. Talk to them to sell them REFUSE tO Be a Victim seminar.
    Get in with a good gun store whose owner is not a tobbacco chewing, slobbering gun show comando, or a cammo wearing, tattooed butthole with a name like "Fox 21" or "BTK TANGO". ( good luck). And Work like a dog to get your name out amoung non gun people ( tobacco chewing slobering gunshow comandos already know the value of a colt such and sunch a year with a gold trigger, they also already know how to shoot. too bad they are lacking knowledge of basic personal hygene. all they want is the cheapest cert.) .
    If you are Clean cut, energetic, well spoken, and you truly love to teach, and are good at it, and we have another really good fifty percent growth year, I say go for it.If you are in it for the money, or because you want to demonstrate the latest internet gun school skill you learned on a dvd, for get it. What if you are a micheal Jordan in the defensive pistol world? Ever notice how MJ can't reproduce himself, i.e. coach a team? If all the conditionms above apply, you might make around thirty K next year. Other wise, you are just making it hard on the poor other guys who really are trying to make a living, and also taking the fun out of it for yourself.
    CCW training has been a God send for me. It has given me back my self respect, my dignity. i am abbel to do something for the comunity, and make a living, bairly. I AM a good comunicator, and I do work like a dog, at everything i do. It has almost taken the fun out of the shooting sports. I nevr get to compete anymore. But it has made me dispise dabblers even more than i ever did.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    I am an ex LEO, former Marine retired, Shot the second highest score shot at the Missouri Highway Patrol academy in 1976, Police pistol teams, Military pistol team, IDPA, SASS since 1988, NRA instructor, rifle, pistol, shotgun, since 1978, NRA certified instructor CCW, Personal defense, home defese. NRS certified RSO, local range master, Have tattoos, sometimes wear cammo cargo pants, shaved head and a beard. Hunter safety instructor. I taught the largest Hunter safety course ever taught in the Las Vegas area, 109 students in one class. ETC ETC ETC

I occasionlly will help teach a local NRA class. At 66 years old It is not a vocation.

I wonder where I fit in??

FWIW ON 7/1/2010 Az will no longer require a permit to carry CCW in the state

VIP Member
    Beans you have slipped through the cracks and need to shave the beard, get rid of the cammo, remove the tats and start over. You did not mention tobacco chewing but you need to stop that to.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

QUOTE=tacman605;1666958]Beans you have slipped through the cracks and need to shave the beard, get rid of the cammo, remove the tats and start over. You did not mention tobacco chewing but you need to stop that to.[/QUOTE]

My grandfather and uncle chewed REDMAN when I was growing up.
    I was about 11 years old when they talked me into trying the chew. Then they told me that I had worns like the livestock we had just wormed and if I swallowed instead of spitting, it would get rid of the worms.

They swore it worked for them and that was the reason they didn't have any stomach worms.

I swallowed. I don't remember if it got rid of any worms or not. But I do remember it got rid of everything else I had in my stomach that day.

FWIW they did find this humorous.

ON Smoking
    Around the same time I found a pack of Camels in the hayloft that had been there some time. I took several out of the package before I found one that didn't fall apart when it came out.

Finally got it lit. sucked all the smoke I could into my lungs and then I couldn't breath for what seemed like years. When I got my breath back that ended smoking for me.

I haven't chewed or smoked since.

I have watched the Washoe County list grow from 25 when I started to 50+ instructors. There is now such a saturation of them the pie is cut so slim that most of the decent ones can't make a buck at it. The NRA basic pistol was all that was required now it's protection in and out plus basic pistol. For the courses up here they want about $500 total for all takes about 3 weekends to complete then it's business licenses and insurance time of which there are about 2 companies that will insure NV instructors. The cost is reasonable for liability. Then you have to find a place to teach. Sure the local Round Table Pizza has a party room for free and some actually did that here, but for a real classroom proffesionally set up the rent can eat your profit. One guy travels around doing different states just to pay for his office/ classroom here.
    The gun crowd wants cheap the average person doesn't know dick about CCW and anyone can be charmed into class by a good salesperson on the phone. Once they have paid and are there maybe they figure out it wasn't worth it but oh well they still get the permit and move on. Imagine for the most part being a speedbump on the way to the sheriffs office. That is a NV CCW instructor. Of course you can always go high end after Front Sights clientel. Now sure how that would work as even they have cash flow problems.
    Some say that all the training you have will make a difference. I say you will be working off your training costs long after. Most even after having been educated on the phone by someone as to what it really means to be trained will never sign up at the $100 rate. Theres always another guy for $50. This brings us to the credit card issue. You WILL have to take them. Why because you will soon learn about nonrefundable deposits for class because guaranteed you will schedule 10 and have 5 show up unless they have a monetary investment. This is especially true if they are coming to town and are scheduling early. The customer will sign up for the guaranteed course and then shop it till they find the cheapest and go to them. I had rearranged my schedule for a private class on a holiday weekend for a guy. Prepped the classroom had everything ready for 9am. The phone rings about 8:30 to cancel. Now I have to fight the backcharge from the CC company. Yes they take the money out of your account right away even drawing it into the negative leaving you to fight for it and pay the negative balance charges or overdrafts.
    Yes I have a negative opinion of it all but if you want to do it go for it. I just wish I had not invested in it as much as I have. I highly doubt we will be like AZ anytime soon but with open carry gaining traction and the idea of Constitutional Carry being looked at NV CCW instructors may go the way of the dinosaurs. You can find out more about it from the NV sheriffs and chiefs assoc. they are the governing body so to speak.
    Good luck.

Sponsored Links