Do you have what it takes or Bad Guys have mindset to?

This is a discussion on Do you have what it takes or Bad Guys have mindset to? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 Absolutely have to shift gears when out of the hot zone no arguement there. The mere possession of a weapon can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have what it takes or Bad Guys have mindset to?

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Absolutely have to shift gears when out of the hot zone no arguement there. The mere possession of a weapon can give the illusion or misguided sense of security but if you do not know how to use it or have the willingness to use it, it is merely a chunk of metal.
    A bad guy confronts you and sees a that you are armed and are confident in your abilities yes he will take the better part of valor and leave most times but depending on what is influencing his mind at the moment may just as easily draw his own weapon and force you to engage or test your resolve...
    It is a fine balance. You can be complacent and overly confident because of the firearm, but at the same time it is important to be confident while armed and with what you are armed with.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Being armed is no cure for a sucker punch......one must develope a perimeter that most are not permitted to enter. Sure your surroundings may dictate who can or can't get close but one must visually size up an individual and either let him pass or you make a detour..........sometimes this requires a split second decision on your part depending on the location.

And a group naturally is never permitted close enough to engage, always walk around to pass. Likewise, the unsuspecting person with a question, "Hey, you got a light", "Can I get some directions" upon approaching should be told to "Hold it right there.....don't come any closer" and don't be embarrassed to say that. You don't have to be nose to nose to speak with someone and give up your perimeter.

And I also never allow people getting out of cars to approach.......never.

I'm out of there first.

You have to be like the Rat that can't be cornered......but if cornered......it's on.

VIP Member
    Outstanding posts and opinions wish they could all be like this.

Thanis great statement there is a balance that has to be acheived and each balance if different for each person.

XXX you are right your personal space is yours and should no one should be allowed in it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Do I have what it takes? The USMC showed me plenty of ways of neutralizing the enemy.
    If you are like me, the USMC also taught you something that was captured by Yoda and has become the stuff on popular imagination, "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."

Or to quote the DI, "Quit is not an option."

Now in my seventies (as xXx said) the predator most likely eat my lunch.

But I'd rather go out on my feet fighting than on my knees -- and I might just still have enough left to surprise him a tad in the process.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Dave he may eat your lunch but I bet you will cause him a hell of a lot of indigestion in the process. Keep in mind sometimes all it takes is simple resolve with people like this. Yeah give them the advantage or surprise and they are all over it.
    Stand up cause them pain and they may lose interest long enough for you to draw and fire if it warrants it.
    I am not talking about gripping your firearm and yell out in your best shaky voice "I have a gun, dont make me use it" in that case people like this will eat your lunch, dinner and take your dessert, I am talking about taking the advantage away from them and being prepared to do whatever is needed at the time.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

An example:
    I remember once my Dad who was then in his mid 70's was in our parking lot putting his stuff in his car getting ready to leave about 5:00 early evening. I'm comming out of one of the building on our facility. As I get to the door, out of habit I always stop and look to make sure my exit is clear. As I peak out the door I see this guy hiding behind a fenced area by the street watching my my Dad. He is lurking in the shadows, moving slowly from one spot to another but never not watching the old man......the BG never sees me.

As he's moving closer I decided to make my move. I came at him like a charging lion yelling.........."Hey you son of a *****...get over here you rotten MF, get over here....well he started to run and kept runnin'. The unfortunate thing is my Dad had no clue of what was going on or that he was going to be mugged......

They (BG's) don't like dealing with people that are crazier than they are........it scares them.
    Last edited by xXxplosive; May 11th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

VIP Member
    They (BG's) don't like dealing with people that are crazier than they are........it scares them.

Hot damn if this is the case I am the safest SOB around. Good point

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links