How Many Rounds a Year Should a We Shoot?

This is a discussion on How Many Rounds a Year Should a We Shoot? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shoot between 400 and 600 rounds per month. I shoot a monthly IPSC match and a couple of IDPA indoor matches each month. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Rounds a Year Should a We Shoot?

How many rounds per year??

I shoot between 400 and 600 rounds per month. I shoot a monthly IPSC match and a couple of IDPA indoor matches each month. I also go to the range every other week or so and shoot a hundred or so rounds of 9MM and .40S&W. I reload all the time. In the 1990's I shot 6-7000 rounds each year for several years, mostly .45ACP and mostly in a Glock 21 with a factory barrel. I shot a training course in March and shot 800 rounds of New Factory ammo in 2 days. It took 3 months to get the ammo at Wally World. There is no substitute for practice at the range and in competetion, read that as pressure under the clock. Reloading is the thing that keeps me able to shoot the quantity that I do and still afford it.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is not really a set amount but I see what you mean in relation to budget concerns. It is not the quanity but the quality of the shooting you do.
    If you shoot 500 rounds with a bad draw stroke, improper sight alignment, bad grip and get bad hits you have not accomplished anything but teaching yourself bad habits.
    There are no experts, but there are people that have the fundamentals of shooting mastered and that is what you need to work on. Good draw, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through. With practice you will find you are a faster more accurate shooter.
    As was stated get or rent a .22, cheap to shoot and get the basics down with. I have a .22 conversions for 1911 and .22 copies of my Sig 556 and MP5. This also allows me to train my wife and kids on the same weapons systems at a tenth of the price.
    Take some of that budgeted training ammo and you and your wife go shoot an IDPA match. Entry fees are cheap and you will be getting experience of shooting under pressure at multiple sometimes moving targets. It will also show you if your equipment works the way you want it to or not. You will be able to see firearms and equipment that you have maybe thought about getting but have only seen in a catalog. It might not be all that you thought it was.
    Bottom line is you can shoot with a small amount of ammo and get better training, if you train the right way and commit to the basics each and every pull of the trigger. Good luck.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I am also a novice shooter and find that putting even 50 rounds down range a payday I have improved my skills. I would love to put alot more time on the range but the budget sometimes does not allow it.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    That's what I am thinking. Do you think that loading mags with one round and just shooting, reloading, etc. is a good practice? What about building marksmanship? Is that obtained by more dry-firing and shooting snap caps than actual lead downrange?
    Yes! Lookup and read what you can on trigger control and apply what you can to your next range trip.

If possiable, find a class and see about budgeting funds for, lets say a two day class/siminar.

The reloading drill is practiced a little every range day for me. Everyone with an autoloader need this skill.

Many, if not most, of these drills can be practiced at home with a cleared and safe weapon. Then take it to the range.

Quality not quanity is key to devoloping certin, specific skill sets.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Whatever you can afford....dry firing doesn't use up a thing...when you go to the range, have a plan of what you want to practice. Break it up a little. If allowed, try shooting from a sitting position as if you fell backwards one week...shoot weak handed also...be practical with what you have and what you might need...we all practice for the big game, hoping we never get called in...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Whatever you can afford....dry firing doesn't use up a thing...when you go to the range, have a plan of what you want to practice.
    Dang...I was just drafting my response in my head when I saw this...exactly what I was thinking...

It was easier to shoot what I could afford when I was single...with a family it's tough. I would say for marksmanship, a .22 works fine. When you get your sight picture squared away, dry fire with your EDC.

A suggestion that was passed to me (and I'm sure we've heard it a time or two)--put a quarter just behind the front sight and dry fire. If the quarter falls off, your pulling/pushing/flinching....will save you many rounds from deviating from your target during live fire. I can say I've shot more dry than live...because in the end, it's breathing and muscle memory.

Also, don't forget mag changes!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I am a novice marksman and am trying to estimate (for budgeting purposes) how many rounds a year I should expect to shoot w/my wife.

Thanks!
    As many as you can reasonably afford both monetarily and temporally, shoot as much as you can afford and have time too. My biggest limitation to my shooting is free time, but if I had free time then I wouldn’t have money.

My wife and I try to shoot between 200-500 rds each a Quarter.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Dang...I was just drafting my response in my head when I saw this...exactly what I was thinking...

It was easier to shoot what I could afford when I was single...with a family it's tough. I would say for marksmanship, a .22 works fine. When you get your sight picture squared away, dry fire with your EDC.

A suggestion that was passed to me (and I'm sure we've heard it a time or two)--put a quarter just behind the front sight and dry fire. If the quarter falls off, your pulling/pushing/flinching....will save you many rounds from deviating from your target during live fire. I can say I've shot more dry than live...because in the end, it's breathing and muscle memory.

Also, don't forget mag changes!
    That's it, right there. There is a significant amount of training you can accomplish dry firing. I would recommend shooting live rounds a minimum of once a month, if for no other reason than maintaining confidence with your EDC.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Rounds don't count, rounds with a purpose do. - George

Well, recently:

03/05/10 100 rounds of 40 Just purchased SA XD40 SC
    03/06/10 100 rounds of 40
    04/02/10 50 rounds of 40
    04/02/10 50 rounds of 38
    04/10/10 100 rounds of 38
    04/10/10 150 rounds of 40
    04/18/10 100 rounds of 40
    04/18/10 100 rounds of 45
    05/01/10 100 rounds of 40
    05/02/10 50 rounds of 45
    05/02/10 100 rounds of 40
    05/02/10 100 rounds of 38
    05/07/10 50 rounds of 40
    05/07/10 50 rounds of 38
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    There are several good responses already in this thread, this is what I'll add.

For MOST shooters (no matter the level: beginner, novice, intermediate, expert, sniper), dry fire is more valuable practice than live rounds (in large quantities).

I dry fire everyday, without exception. I do 20 minutes daily. On average around 500-600 repetitions. During this, I practice trigger reset drills, and trigger break drills.

I fire live rounds twice a week in practice, which always includes the use of snap-caps/dummy rounds, re-loads, malfunction clearances and draw strokes.

I would recommend to everyone to practice all these thing on a regular basis. It is more valuable than round count.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 10th, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    funny but nobody has mentioned training...

i dont care if you throw 3000 rounds a month down range and you can drill a target center at 25 yards...that doesnt mean youre going to be a good shot under pressure or when it counts (your life is on the line)...if all you want is to be a marksman then thats a great goal...if you want to learn how to defend yourself and shoot in different situations and positions with speed you might want to spend some of that ammo money on training with a self defense instructor...

its not about how many rounds you put down range...you may be developing bad self defense habits but good range habits...the idpa idea is a good one...i found quite a few weaknesses in my shooting when i started that....then training found some more and i'm working on others...its a work in progress and dont fool yourself into thinking just sending em downrange is gonna make you what you need to be...

read...dry fire practice...training...scenarios with movement and different position shooting...and training...lots of training....

stop counting rounds...the number of miles you drive doesnt make you a good driver...

There are several CCWs that you can get 22 conversion kits for. Change barrel and magazine and you're shooting inexpensive 22 rounds from your CCW for practice. I'm sure you can do a search and find threads that list the ones that are available. I'm not familiar with them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    A "benchmark" number for the average Joe would be 50 rounds/week, EVERY week.

As others have pointed out, the quality and frequency of your training will make all the difference.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

No wonder I have difficulty finding ammo on the shelf... LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links