How Many Rounds a Year Should a We Shoot?

This is a discussion on How Many Rounds a Year Should a We Shoot? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it varies based on current skill level, but shooting a gun is a perishable skill. I am a novice marksman and am trying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Rounds a Year Should a We Shoot?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I know it varies based on current skill level, but shooting a gun is a perishable skill. I am a novice marksman and am trying to estimate (for budgeting purposes) how many rounds a year I should expect to shoot w/my wife.

I have a reloading kit but am open to selling it & buying factory/re-manufactured ammo instead. Just trying to figure out what is reasonable.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Maybe 4-7K per year so far.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

My numbers vary with my budget. What you can afford is a good start.

I was putting better than 15k a year downrange up until my granddaughter was born. :)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    My numbers vary with my budget. What you can afford is a good start
    I'm going to carve out the space in the budget for what I need to be a responsible, accurate shooter. I just am trying to figure out if I need to buy 1,000... 3,000.... 5,000 rounds of my primary practice ammo. Or if there is no need to burn through thousands of rounds of FMJ to be a very good shooter.

However much your wife will let you buy.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

I try to shoot every payday. The amount of rounds I send down range depends on how many bills are due at the time. I pray for a raise so that way I can shoot more rounds.

Rather than merely considering the quantity, perhaps emphasis should be placed upon consistency and frequency. It is my opinion that 50 rounds per week accomplishes more than one who shoots 2,000 rounds in his only range visit in a year.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I'm averaging about 5,000 rounds per year. I could get by with less, but I enjoy it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

how many rounds?

I also consider myself a novice/amateur shooter. Last year was my first year reloading, and I had a blast doing it. It gave me less excuses not to go practice. I'm guessing I shot around 2800 rounds. Before winter arrived(outdoor range), I felt that I had drastically improved my marksmanship. This spring I've got 450 or so rds in. I definitely felt "rusty" but it also came back quickly. Still have a ways to go...
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Rather than merely considering the quantity, perhaps emphasis should be placed upon consistency and frequency. It is my opinion that 50 rounds per week accomplishes more than one who shoots 2,000 rounds in his only range visit in a year.
    That's what I am thinking. Do you think that loading mags with one round and just shooting, reloading, etc. is a good practice? What about building marksmanship? Is that obtained by more dry-firing and shooting snap caps than actual lead downrange?

Quote Originally Posted by funwitHK View Post
    I also consider myself a novice/amateur shooter. Last year was my first year reloading, and I had a blast doing it.
    Did it take you a while to load all that ammo? Or was it no big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I know it varies based on current skill level, but shooting a gun is a perishable skill. I am a novice marksman and am trying to estimate (for budgeting purposes) how many rounds a year I should expect to shoot w/my wife.

I have a reloading kit but am open to selling it & buying factory/re-manufactured ammo instead. Just trying to figure out what is reasonable.

Thanks!

So....you're actually asking about what it will take to maintain your current level or improve it? Indeed, it is a perishable skill....use it or loose it pretty much. Practice is a necessity. You need to be proficient with your chosen defensive weapon first off. Depending on what you have chosen, this could amount to a little or a lot concerning range time and ammo. I'd like to think that practice in the past and frequency rides through those times when practice is improbable. The more experience you have in the past takes you further into the future, but dry fire practice may well keep your edge when live fire isn't possible. Lots to consider, and we're all at different levels, and specifically all at different means thinking economically. Best we can do is make the most of what we can at the time, and get the most out of it for our time and money spent. It's actually difficult for me to think of these things in terms of affordability. Practice should be frequent until you get to a certain level. All the while thinking about gasoline prices, range fees, the time to do it, and how the government is bending us over the couch. What does it take you to keep in shape physically? What percentage would you guess that has an impact on your life? How important is it to you that you stay in good physical condition? It all relates. You want to be healthy and eat cheaply? Same thing. What you will dedicate to your practice and saving your life is going to be what you feel is right at the time. The price is going to be confidence in yourself that you can do what is necessary, and getting your wife to at least the same level as you. It's peace of mind that you seek, and a price can't be placed on that by others. My recommendation..........shoot at least once a month, and 100 rounds with your carry piece. Practice the draw and weak hand shooting 50%. The other 50% accuracy with whatever you'd like. Depending on caliber, this might well cost you a bottom dollar average of $200 per month until you both become proficient.
    My wife and I will likely consume 800 rounds of any given ammo in a month's time over a year's span, at an average of $30 per hundred rounds. Figure around $3k a year. This is what I feel it takes to keep us where we are with a little bit of improvement.

I don't think I've seen any one say this yet but practicing with a .22 pistol is just as effective as practicing with center fire. Weight and hand gun differences have gone away in recent years with the popularity of conversion kits and .22 pistol model equivalents.

Buy a .22! You can shoot so much more and get the same practice. With all the extra practice you will become a better shooter and when you go to pick up your center fire you'll be just as good!

As much as you possibly can, but I can only afford 300-400 rounds a month.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

McPatrickClan - When reloading, I usually do 3-400 at a time (2-3 hrs of work), depending on what's going on. When I go to range, i shoot 70-200 rds, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish or work on.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links