cross carry verses strong side carry

This is a discussion on cross carry verses strong side carry within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ECHOONE Every single one of your assumptions for dismissing Cross carry preludes that the person must be using a conventional shooting technique! ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cross carry verses strong side carry

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Every single one of your assumptions for dismissing Cross carry preludes that the person must be using a conventional shooting technique!
    What if the person is using a stance such as the C.A.R. Stance,which would not make him have to draw across his body? Your entire claim is out the window! I carry Cross Draw,I use the C.A.R. stance I'm not new to shooting,I'm a Vet,Don't under estimate certain ways of carry unless you are able to evaluate what other forms and techniques can be implemented to enhance it to make it a superior method in the right hands of someone who actually tries to improve it!
    I am unaware of the CAR stance and I am looking to be shown exactly what it is. I don't see with a cross carry how one doesn't cross draw? I'm not being sarcastic I am genuinely interested.

I never underestimated cross carry I merely sighted disadvantages for people to read, draw their own conclusions and make a decision. That's why I posted in the training forum.

When I think about cross carry, when drawing unless you point the muzzle directly at the ground or in the air after clearing the holster, how do you not point the muzzle to the right or left of you? The only way I can think of is if you stand perpendicular to the threat and shoot across your body or turn as you draw. I really am interested and would like someone to please explain.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    in the c.a.r. stance you draw and position your gun across your body toward the side of the draw so the gun never sweeps forward...if you are right handed your left shoulder would face the target and your body would face right...therefore the gun never sweeps anywhere but toward the target after it leaves the holster...the gun is held close to the body and is good for retention type shooting in close quarters...it looks very much like a tactical room clearing type stance with your support shoulder leading...

Once again I will have to disagree with you,it is a well know fact without using the technique that I use,using conventional stances the fastest draw is the is from a holster at the appendix carry,the second fastest draw is that from cross draw,I did not make this up this is what is stated from places on internet.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I use both cross-draw carry (only with shoulder holsters) and strong-side carry depending on the outfit I wear. Since I am short and compact, strong-side carry is more suited for me. Cross draw is also good for me if the gun is holstered in a horizontal instead of a vertical shoulder holster.

I have been a believer in appendix carry for years now and agree with Echoone in regards to the speed in which the weapon can be accessed. Appendix can be defended in close quarters situations much better as the butt of the weapon carried in the cross draw mode is facing your advisary. Florida Highway Patrol Troopers as late as the 1970's carried in cross draw posistion as a precaution when transporting prisoners in the front seat of their patrol vehicles. Now security partitions and Level III holsters eliminate the need for that. Good debate though. Just my .02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Once again I will have to disagree with you,it is a well know fact without using the technique that I use,using conventional stances the fastest draw is the is from a holster at the appendix carry,the second fastest draw is that from cross draw,I did not make this up this is what is stated from places on internet.
    ECHO,

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Appendix carry is quite fast, but just changing the position of carry from strong side to appendix doesn't automatically make you faster either.

Don't fall into the trap that as soon as you move to appendix from strong side it's going to make you faster. It takes practice, like anything else to "get there".

I'm not sure where you read cross draw was the second fastest draw stroke, but I'd question that myself as well. Of course it might be faster than strong side for some, but it's not an absolute given anymore than appendix is faster than strong side.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links