cross carry verses strong side carry

This is a discussion on cross carry verses strong side carry within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not looking to start an argument or convert any one. However you carry is the best way as long as it works for you. In ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not looking to start an argument or convert any one. However you carry is the best way as long as it works for you.

In my training, I discussed concepts of cross draw and strong side carry. I came to the conclusion that cross draw has several disadvantages. (It think this info is beneficial to any one who carries or wants to do so)

1) more unsafe than strong side: when drawing you sweep the muzzle perpendicular to your body pointing the firearm at anyone in that direction. An unnecessary safety risk.

2) disadvantage for you: most encounters occur from 0-21 feet or less (arms length) When crossing your body you exposing yourself to being physically engaged and prevented from drawing. That hand is useless if it is crossing your body. Make sense?

3) time: if the sights of your firearm are crossing in front of your body it takes longer to acquire your sight picture even if it is just your front sight

4) drawing distance: your hand must come from one side of your body to the other side. Then back to center. It takes too much time to draw the pistol so it can be used.

Now I understand that certain configurations (clothing) require cross carry. I for one will carry strong side always if available. You are welcome to disagree

hbc
    For some of the reasons you've mentioned, I'd like to be able to strong side-carry. But because of some physical limitations (short torso-long arms), I have a hard time drawing my handgun when carried as such. Crossdraw works for me, though. It really is a very individualistic thing, how we carry. Do what best works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hbc View Post
    For some of the reasons you've mentioned, I'd like to be able to strong side-carry. But because of some physical limitations (short torso-long arms), I have a hard time drawing my handgun when carried as such. Crossdraw works for me, though. It really is a very individualistic thing, how we carry. Do what best works for you.
    I definitely am not trying to convert you hbc. I respect whatever you choose. But I think you understand some of the drawbacks. Which is what I was aiming for.

Cross draw is a good option to have in my opinion. When I carry cross draw, it's usually OWB. I can actually draw very effectively with my weak hand. Can't say that for strong side. I still fail to see this sweeping motion thing folks talk about when drawing from the weak side with strong hand just the same as I have difficulty with the same sentiments on drawing from SOB palm out. Maybe it's all in the technique. Maybe I just need to see some videos and figure out what I'm doing different just sweeping the ground instead of myself or the audience. Maybe I just need to go consult the mirror.

VIP Member
    Crossdraw is also very effective when seated. US Air Marshals can or do carry in this manner.
    As Ram mentioned very effective because if you have to you can draw with either hand if needed.
    I will carry cross draw in the field if I have a slung rifle while say hunting. If the handgun is OWB on my strong side it may have a tendency to scratch up the stock on a rifle, worn cross draw it is out of the way.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have never encountered this "sweeping" problem that everyone seems to mention about crossdraw....? Where is this "sweeping problem" ?

Take up the proper martial arts stance: rear leg and belt buckle facing nearly 90 degrees to right of the assailant. Front foot either straight ahead or if you have a bad knee like me at about 30 degrees off to right of assailant. Your left shoulder is facing the assailant and your head to turned to face the assailant over that shoulder. You with me ? The crossdraw holster is at 11 o'clock, or 10:30 at the absolute furthest. Left hand is above the waistline, elbow bent (martial art stance)in front of your left shoulder..... and right hand begins draw from the waist line in front of belly button. Still with me ? The right hand grasps the gun, pulls back ( a necessary cant of about 30 degrees on the holster) and slightly up ... and once clearing the holster simply pushes the gun over the holster and onto the left hand. Both hands now raise the gun to eye level. The barrel of the gun has been pointed at the assailant the entire time from draw to eye level.

No sweeping. No where.

Two things: 1. You are not presenting your whole body mass to the assailant as a target, just your left (hopefully narrow) side, shoulder and arm with a proper crossdraw stance and 2. bet I can get a shot off before you can from 3 o'clock.
    Last edited by Horsetrader; May 12th, 2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: further description of stance
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    with a proper elbow up elbow down strong side draw from strong side the first shot would be approximately .5 seconds or less from the decision to draw and taken from half hip with great accuracy facing the target...

facing 90 degrees to the right, drawing and raising the gun to sight level you have already lost at the draw...

i am not saying that crossdraw is ineffective and does not have its advantages in certain situations....but it does not beat strong side draw...

one other issue with it is it is more difficult to index a pistol and aim it when firing to the side as opposed to forward....facing the threat allows you complete focus on the threat and good body position for rapid target aquisition and follow up shots...your arm is in a strong position...if you need to move off the x to get off line you are in a stable postion to move in either direction and still maintain directional control of your firearm...moving while maintaining aim and facing away from the target is more difficult than facing the target....

and your awareness should have you facing the threat and ready for what they have to offer as opposed to facing 90 degrees off threat and having a long way to go to react to one direction of movement...the threat isnt necessarily going to stand still and wait for you to shoot them...

The stance I am suggesting is the same one used in Karate. Movement is easy front-rear or side to side. I suggested it more to debunk the whole "sweeping problem". Do as you will, I know what works for me.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by Horsetrader View Post
    The stance I am suggesting is the same one used in Karate. Movement is easy front-rear or side to side. I suggested it more to debunk the whole "sweeping problem". Do as you will, I know what works for me.
    and where does your hand have to come from to reach for the cross draw?...or do you keep it across your body all the time?...

i understand you suggested and refered to the sweeping problem but you followed it up with how quick it is....

i may be out of line but dont you normally have to move into a self defense stance in karate or do you walk around sideways all the time?...

Every single one of your assumptions for dismissing Cross carry preludes that the person must be using a conventional shooting technique!
    What if the person is using a stance such as the C.A.R. Stance,which would not make him have to draw across his body? Your entire claim is out the window! I carry Cross Draw,I use the C.A.R. stance I'm not new to shooting,I'm a Vet,Don't under estimate certain ways of carry unless you are able to evaluate what other forms and techniques can be implemented to enhance it to make it a superior method in the right hands of someone who actually tries to improve it!

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Every single one of your assumptions for dismissing Cross carry preludes that the person must be using a conventional shooting technique!
    What if the person is using a stance such as the C.A.R. Stance,which would not make him have to draw across his body? Your entire claim is out the window! I carry Cross Draw,I use the C.A.R. stance I'm not new to shooting,I'm a Vet,Don't under estimate certain ways of carry unless you are able to evaluate what other forms and techniques can be implemented to enhance it to make it a superior method in the right hands of someone who actually tries to improve it!
    Very well said +1
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    i apologize if my posts were not specific...i was not concerned with cross draw and muzzling...i was concerned with the time to draw from a cross draw position without having your hand already across your body...and your stance already 90 degrees from your threat...

the c.a.r. system is effective for gun control, retention and even close quarters hand to hand...but i feel althought the draw as fast as it is not as fast as a strong side draw...dont take that as an insult..it has to do with the mechanics of reaching across your body to draw and then raising the gun to level and shooting as opposed to a half hip shot from a strong side draw...someone mentioned economy of motion previously and the economy of motion from strong side is more efficient than cross draw...either shooting system is accurate and each have their place and advantages...i wont fault that...

as a matter of fact youve made me more interested in working on the technique....

I cross draw when riding a 4 wheeler in the Ozark or Ouachita mountains.
    I like it. The gun is right there if you need it. It doesn't stick into the seat and get banged around so much and its actually more protected.

You can carry a big gun very comfortably this way and it doesn't seem to throw your back out of alignment as easy.

In a vehicle, it can be accessed much easier. If you are driving and some thug walks up to your window you can use your left hand to block while drawing with the right..and the gun is for the most part on target with little movement.When the seat belt is fouling your draw, its easier to get out of the holster than a regular draw...try it and see.

One of our Sheriffs many years ago carried his service revolver in a cross draw. He wore plain clothes, a cowboy hat, boots and wore his star on whatever shirt he was wearing, he looked like something right out of the old west. You always saw that gun right there and it got everyones attention. Several bad-guys that he dealt with mentioned the fact that it was intimidating to them because they always knew it was with in close reach. He was fast on the draw too...very fast.

About the only disadvantage that I can see with a cross draw is that it is harder to conceal. Since most of us have to hide our stuff, it is something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Cross draw is a good option to have in my opinion. When I carry cross draw, it's usually OWB. I can actually draw very effectively with my weak hand. Can't say that for strong side. I still fail to see this sweeping motion thing folks talk about when drawing from the weak side with strong hand just the same as I have difficulty with the same sentiments on drawing from SOB palm out. Maybe it's all in the technique. Maybe I just need to see some videos and figure out what I'm doing different just sweeping the ground instead of myself or the audience. Maybe I just need to go consult the mirror.
    I couldn't agree more...besides, it's a 'finger' thing anyway.
    Each draw has its advantages and disadvantages...
    Cross-draw is perfect for long distance travel in cars, or just plain comfort for some.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links