videos I did related to the forum

This is a discussion on videos I did related to the forum within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; pistol grip YouTube - How to grip a pistol reloads/tap n rack YouTube - Defensive shooting tactics I just remembered is this advertising?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: videos I did related to the forum

videos I did related to the forum

pistol grip

YouTube - How to grip a pistol

reloads/tap n rack

YouTube - Defensive shooting tactics

I just remembered is this advertising?

2. Remove Ads

enjoyed the tack and rack video. insteresting you chose a .22 though.

thanks for checking out my video! i chose the .22 because that's what was available.

Any critique?

For a lefty, your reload technique is the best, maybe the only way.

For right handed people, it's not a fine motor skill to hit the slide release, because the support thumb usually rests on the slide release, anyway. Of course it varies from person to person, and pistol to pistol.

I always enjoy posts with pictures and videos. It takes a lot of work to put it together, thanks
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Consider that there may be a time when you are fighting for your life and your adrenaline is pumping, it may be cold and/or wet. Not only can the conditions make it difficult to hit the slide lock, but stress/nervousness can also make it difficult. The bottom line is, no matter the conditions reloads and malfunction drills have a better chance of going smoothly when using a gross motor skill.

The added plus of tap n rack on a reload is its exactly the same motion as clearing a malfunction.

I learned from training (multiple sources) the benefits of "slingshotting" the slide instead of pressing the slide release. One other advantage is that slingshotting works without thought on all semiautos that I know of. The slide release location varies from gun to gun.

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    I learned from training (multiple sources) the benefits of "slingshotting" the slide instead of pressing the slide release. One other advantage is that slingshotting works without thought on all semiautos that I know of. The slide release location varies from gun to gun.
    Exactly. Slide locks also vary in size. Glock SLs I believe are all flush with the receiver. Sig 226 has more of a "ledge"

Tap rack for the win... Its good common sense training for reloading and malfunction. Nice video
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    Except Kahr pistols. Their manual states to use the slide release lever to minimize the chance of getting a failure to chamber the round upon inserting a fresh mag.

This is one reason I got rid of my Kahr.

Nice video! You can use snap caps so you can safety do the drill indoors, and get the slide to close when you "load."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    nice videos...

you might want to take a look at shooting coach's gripping a handgun video as it discusses some of the same fundementals with more detail and explanation...it might also be helpful to mention that the support hand should have good contact with the support side of the grip for good control...

good tap and rack video...i would also argue the sligshotting method as it is possible to ride the slide under stress and cause a failure to go into battery...whereas the slide release is a positive disengagement of the slide and a ful power rack home everytime...i understand the fine motor skill portion of your explanation but it is one that is easily overcome by using the release a great deal...in different positions and while moving and firing/loading i have found my fingers go instictively to the slide release and trip it very reliably...it can also be performed with either hand quite easily depending on your stiuation...good demos....and well spoken...well done...

What is depicted in the video is not the slingshot method.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    nice videos...

you might want to take a look at shooting coach's gripping a handgun video as it discusses some of the same fundementals with more detail and explanation...it might also be helpful to mention that the support hand should have good contact with the support side of the grip for good control...

good tap and rack video...i would also argue the sligshotting method as it is possible to ride the slide under stress and cause a failure to go into battery...whereas the slide release is a positive disengagement of the slide and a ful power rack home everytime...i understand the fine motor skill portion of your explanation but it is one that is easily overcome by using the release a great deal...in different positions and while moving and firing/loading i have found my fingers go instictively to the slide release and trip it very reliably...it can also be performed with either hand quite easily depending on your stiuation...good demos....and well spoken...well done...
    This is a good reason to stick with firearms that are similar (so the release is roughly the same shape/size and in the same relative location). Otherwise, you better make sure to train, train, train.

Added: One should always train, train, train anyway.. if at all possible.
    Last edited by xeero; July 29th, 2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Add note

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    What is depicted in the video is not the slingshot method.
    regardless of whether the handler uses only 2 fingers to "slingshot" the slide or grasps it from above they are still "slingshotting" the slide and run the same potential of riding the slide forward and preventing the slide from going into battery....slingshotting does not require the slide to only be handled with 2 fingers from behind...the action of pulling the slide back and releasing it is slingshotting as its the same action required to operate a slingshot...

the videos were well done...another good place to look on youtube is todd jarrets videos as he has some great advice on gripping the handgun along with some other very informative shooting videos....

when tap n rack was first introduced to me, my instructor required me to tap myself in the shoulder as I racked to prevent me from forming a bad habit. So I was letting go completely.

I have been shooting/training for defense for three years now I have never once had an issue with "riding the slide."

I think your more likely to encounter difficulty hitting the slide release than you are of riding the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    For a lefty, your reload technique is the best, maybe the only way.

For right handed people, it's not a fine motor skill to hit the slide release, because the support thumb usually rests on the slide release, anyway. Of course it varies from person to person, and pistol to pistol.

I always enjoy posts with pictures and videos. It takes a lot of work to put it together, thanks
    Lefties should not own firearms anyway! they are evil!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links