Defensive Carry banner

the draw

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ECHOONE 
#1 ·
I was taught a specific way to draw. I like it. It has some very good advantages. It may seem like this has been overthunked but check this out anyway

Best way to explain: it is a normal strong side carry draw except when the pistol comes out of the holster it comes all the way and is pointed toward the target. Then it is extended in front of the shooters eye or if the threat is extremely close the pistol is canted outward and fired. Make sense?

The purpose is faster sight acquisition and it allows for the same type of draw every time whether the target is close or far.

Let me know what you think.
Bill

#2 ·
Get training, practice...after that, whatever works for ya'...:comeandgetsome::image035:

#3 ·
the pistol would only be canted outward in a retention position close to the body...if you are looking for sight aquisition you may be taking too much time for the first shot... and you would not cant the gun...

retsup is right on...get trained, practice and do what works for you...

#4 ·
It's hard to know exactly what you're describing, but it sounds about right. Think about the following principles in your draw stroke:

1) Economy of motion (not just your gun and hands either)

2) Muzzle pointed at the target/threat throughout

3) Smooth is fast

4) Get a good grab by seating your hand down onto the weapon

5) Perfect Repetition develops skill you can perform under stress

Good luck!

D.S. www.smtfirearms.com

#5 ·
Let me try again. Normal strong side draw until you clear the holster. I come up high and index the muzzle THEN drive the pistol out in front of my body. The only difference is the indexing action which serves two purpses:

1) faster sight acquisition
2) if target is within arms reach instead of driving the pistol out it is retained close to the body and fired. A semi auto is canted out (rotated 45 degrees) to avoid catching clothing in the slide.

#8 ·
Let me try again. Normal strong side draw until you clear the holster. I come up high and index the muzzle THEN drive the pistol out in front of my body. The only difference is the indexing action which serves two purpses:

1) faster sight acquisition
2) if target is within arms reach instead of driving the pistol out it is retained close to the body and fired. A semi auto is canted out (rotated 45 degrees) to avoid catching clothing in the slide.
You look at your gun when firing? What you've described is near the classic Modern Technique 4 count draw stroke.

There are draw skills that beat the 4 count handily in many situations for speed of presentation from the holster, getting the muzzle on threat to be able to then fire, etc.

Learn the "scoop draw", it's faster than any modern technique 4 count draw stroke for all but the very best at it.

#7 ·
I got my training at Rangemaster in Memphis, Tom Givens. His instruction taught get a high combat grip on the weapon, draw the weapon, point the muzzle at the intended target, THEN extend into a modified Weaver stance as you're able. His technique sounds like what you're describing, and in the initial stage you can open fire because your weak side arm is tucked to your chest, your firearm is on target and can be canted and fired close in to your body. It's the only way I have been taught to draw...

#14 ·
He brings the pistol up to chest level before he rocks the weapon forward. I rock the gun up out of the holster and point toward the target, then bring it to chest level before pushing it out. This gets the weapon pointed at the target at the first possible moment after clearing leather. In other words, he can't fire until it's chest level. I CAN shoot from the hip at this point. You have to be able to hit COM from the hip, but it is faster. (Off hand against chest, of course).

#10 ·
#13 ·
I think I see what you're saying. I believe the wrist should be locked and stay straight with the fore arm and pistol all in a straight line and once clear of the holster, the rotation starts with the shoulder as the elbow drops naturally, and when the upper arm is parallel to the body, then the elbow. Once the upper arm and fore arm are perpendicular (or at the 90° angle), the push or 'punch out' starts. IMO....if you're rotating your wrist once the pistol clears the holster, and the muzzle is pointing toward the target, and you're going for a two hand hold....you'll more than likely end up sweeping your off hand coming up, and a bent wrist is weak anyway over a locked wrist. If you are drawing from concealment by bending the wrist to rotate the muzzle forward just as you clear the holster, you may hit some snags such as clothing, or the grip catching on the holster itself during forward movement.
Not saying you're doing anything wrong now exactly, just the information I gathered out of your explanation tells me I think you could do better for yourself, and you'll see why later. With firearms, there's rules to follow about safety and handling. With one's technique there are few hard and fast rules because everyone's different. Thing is some of the physics involved while keeping safety and stability in mind pretty much narrow down the variety of techniques into a smaller category where it's easier to focus on the basics, and reasons why.
I actually DQ'd (disqualified) my wife on the range today during an informal practice session for unsafe gun handling. I told her what she did wrong. I don't ever want another RO to DQ her in a match.
My best to you in everything you do.

#15 ·
That CAR stance or training whatever its called looks very interesting. I'd definitely be willing to try that.

I know very little of that "system" but it looks and feels strange to move with my body bladed. If this training requires the conceal carry individual to blade their body before drawing, I'm not sure what to think of that as of yet.

#17 ·
A default, two handed, high pectoral draw stroke is a very good place to start. It leads to outstanding accuracy at a very nice rate of speed.

IMHO, the elbow up/elbow down draw stoke (as seen in the clips of me that Matt Temkin posted) needs to be added to facilitate more speed inside of the retention concept.

Adding on a completely versatile draw stroke is the only way to be the very best that you can be.

The Completely Versatile Draw Stroke

There is no doubt in my mind on the importance of the "default" two handed, linear, drawstroke. I have spent thousands and thousands or hours on this skill.....with every minute being well worth the time.

As I have progressed in my skill sets and knowledge base, I have also seen the importance of something more “well rounded” and completely versatile. In my observations on FOF encounters it has become clear to me that people may not be able to get to their default draw stroke. As a matter of fact, that it may be a very bad idea using the default draw stroke in some situations. The reason for this is that there is a need to square up to the threat. By squaring up you may have had to adjust the direction of your movement. In a reactive situation, adjusting the direction of your movement could be a very bad idea. Your displacement off of the line of attack is negatively affected by this adjustment for squaring up.

In my observations, it is my opinion that accepting your momentum and continuing in the general direction of your movement, in an explosive manner, and drawing directly to the threat is a much more efficient and effective tactic. This is very much like what Gabe sets down while drawing directly to the threat, while seated in a car. We all know that this will cover our legs.....but in a reactive situation your body will choose the fastest way to align your firearm onto the threat. The very same concept should be applied to your draw stroke and the corresponding direction of movement while we engage.

It is my opinion that a completely versatile draw stroke should be added to a well ingrained default draw stroke. One should be able to draw directly to the threat no matter what "clock position" the adversary is at, without squaring up or dramatically adjusting the direction of your movement. As we break away from the default draw stroke, we begin to see the absolute need for the one handed draw stroke. My two handed "frontal" draw stroke (righty) covers my 8:00 all the way around to my approximate 2:00. My one handed drawstroke covers the rest. That is six directions apiece, which puts this at virtually equal importance.

As we add the completely versatile drawstroke, we will immediately see the benefits to this in regards to getting off of the X. The fastest way possible to get off the X is by exploding forward, the general direction that the toes are pointed (from the 10:00 to the 2:00.) If you have "walked" into a bad situation, this is even more obvious. The continuation of your forward movement makes the explosive move out of the kill zone even more effective and efficient. To not use that momentum to your advantage could be a very bad idea.

As I have said before, the height and the extension of the gun will depend on a number of factors, proximity of the threat, urgency of the shot, position in the reactionary curve, need for retention properties, chaos of the encounter, type of terrain, user’s skill level, and tactical considerations (zippering.) The completely versatile draw stroke also takes in the consideration of these factors. Not only should you be able to engage to every clock position, you should be able to do it through out the extension of your completely versatile draw stroke....one handed and two.

You have all seen me preach about "being able to make solid hits, from any position, from any angle, anywhere throughout your draw stroke, with what ever movement that is necessary." The completely versatile drawstroke is part of that concept. And from what I have seen in FOF.... a very important part of that concept.

The completely versatile drawstroke is just one part of the “Dynamic Movement Draw Stroke.”

While working with the concept, it is nice to notice that the square range training of it is actually the best way to do it in the real world. This does not happen often, but it is so here.

As we look at drawing directly to the threat on a firing line, we need to understand that "directly" cuts out any sort of swinging of the arm horizontally that may cover somebody that is on the firing line or outside of the direct path to the targeted area. What we do and what is best for the square range and the real world is draw directly to the threat in a direct vertical and linear manner.

If we look at drawing directly to your 9:00, that means that the gun is pointed at the ground as it comes across your body and then is lifted vertically to the 9:00 and then punched out in a linear manner. The orientation of the gun is never off of the 9:00 path, and that path is from the area around your feet directly up to the threat. With dynamic movement this may cover your legs, but that is the reality of the situation whenever you draw directly to the threat (especially with dynamic movement and when you are seated.) While this is not optimal, it is better than the alternatives. As long as you have good trigger finger discipline, this should not be a problem.

So, we obviously see that this is very good on the firing line. The question is why is it good in the real world?

Horizontal swinging of a firearm under stress is always a risky maneuver. Under stress you have the obvious risk of over travel and you also have the problem with the "tuning fork" effect as you try to stop the momentum of your swing. If we use our completely versatile drawstroke in the same "linear" manner as our default draw stroke, we are much more likely to hit what we are aiming at.

#18 ·
I probably would not last 2 seconds in a sanctioned Gun Match as I am a fond advocate of the C.A.R Technique since learning Paul's Technique and having him Tutor me himself,but I will say,I'm confident enough that I can get my sidearm drawn and fired lethally,faster then the majority in this forum using the C.A.R Technique. P.S. Canting ones pistol aligns the wrist and forearm making for a natural lockup and stronger grip of the pistol,if you know anything about human biology you would realize this.Old ways are hard to put behind us,we want to believe what were best at is the right way,instead of looking at new evidence that works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.