the draw

the draw

This is a discussion on the draw within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was taught a specific way to draw. I like it. It has some very good advantages. It may seem like this has been overthunked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the draw

the draw

I was taught a specific way to draw. I like it. It has some very good advantages. It may seem like this has been overthunked but check this out anyway

Best way to explain: it is a normal strong side carry draw except when the pistol comes out of the holster it comes all the way and is pointed toward the target. Then it is extended in front of the shooters eye or if the threat is extremely close the pistol is canted outward and fired. Make sense?

The purpose is faster sight acquisition and it allows for the same type of draw every time whether the target is close or far.

Let me know what you think.
    Bill

Get training, practice...after that, whatever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the pistol would only be canted outward in a retention position close to the body...if you are looking for sight aquisition you may be taking too much time for the first shot... and you would not cant the gun...

retsup is right on...get trained, practice and do what works for you...

It's hard to know exactly what you're describing, but it sounds about right. Think about the following principles in your draw stroke:

1) Economy of motion (not just your gun and hands either)

2) Muzzle pointed at the target/threat throughout

3) Smooth is fast

4) Get a good grab by seating your hand down onto the weapon

5) Perfect Repetition develops skill you can perform under stress

Good luck!

D.S. www.smtfirearms.com

Let me try again. Normal strong side draw until you clear the holster. I come up high and index the muzzle THEN drive the pistol out in front of my body. The only difference is the indexing action which serves two purpses:

1) faster sight acquisition
    2) if target is within arms reach instead of driving the pistol out it is retained close to the body and fired. A semi auto is canted out (rotated 45 degrees) to avoid catching clothing in the slide.

At bad breath ranges I shoot from retention out to around 7 yards,at 10+ yards I'm using sights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I got my training at Rangemaster in Memphis, Tom Givens. His instruction taught get a high combat grip on the weapon, draw the weapon, point the muzzle at the intended target, THEN extend into a modified Weaver stance as you're able. His technique sounds like what you're describing, and in the initial stage you can open fire because your weak side arm is tucked to your chest, your firearm is on target and can be canted and fired close in to your body. It's the only way I have been taught to draw...

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by bsrman36 View Post
    Let me try again. Normal strong side draw until you clear the holster. I come up high and index the muzzle THEN drive the pistol out in front of my body. The only difference is the indexing action which serves two purpses:

1) faster sight acquisition
    2) if target is within arms reach instead of driving the pistol out it is retained close to the body and fired. A semi auto is canted out (rotated 45 degrees) to avoid catching clothing in the slide.
    You look at your gun when firing? What you've described is near the classic Modern Technique 4 count draw stroke.

There are draw skills that beat the 4 count handily in many situations for speed of presentation from the holster, getting the muzzle on threat to be able to then fire, etc.

Learn the "scoop draw", it's faster than any modern technique 4 count draw stroke for all but the very best at it.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    Watch this VIDClip - It will really help you out.

YouTube - Inside the Crucible Volume 1

My boy JG AKA K. McCann

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quite a few of us are proponents of this type of draw, which allows you to get bullets into the bad guy ASAP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58eMK...eature=related
    Which can then lead into this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcc8DVRO_TU
    All of these methods--and much more--are shown in my new DVD, available at:
    http://www.paladin-press.com/product...round/Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    You look at your gun when firing? What you've described is near the classic Modern Technique 4 count draw stroke.

There are draw skills that beat the 4 count handily in many situations for speed of presentation from the holster, getting the muzzle on threat to be able to then fire, etc.

Learn the "scoop draw", it's faster than any modern technique 4 count draw stroke for all but the very best at it.
    +1 Could not agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

I NEVER look at my pistol (well I try anyway). But as I drive the pistol and the front sight comes into my vision I start to focus my eye on the sight and off the threat's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bsrman36 View Post
    I was taught a specific way to draw. I like it. It has some very good advantages. It may seem like this has been overthunked but check this out anyway

Best way to explain: it is a normal strong side carry draw except when the pistol comes out of the holster it comes all the way and is pointed toward the target. Then it is extended in front of the shooters eye or if the threat is extremely close the pistol is canted outward and fired. Make sense?

The purpose is faster sight acquisition and it allows for the same type of draw every time whether the target is close or far.

Let me know what you think.
    Bill
    I think I see what you're saying. I believe the wrist should be locked and stay straight with the fore arm and pistol all in a straight line and once clear of the holster, the rotation starts with the shoulder as the elbow drops naturally, and when the upper arm is parallel to the body, then the elbow. Once the upper arm and fore arm are perpendicular (or at the 90į angle), the push or 'punch out' starts. IMO....if you're rotating your wrist once the pistol clears the holster, and the muzzle is pointing toward the target, and you're going for a two hand hold....you'll more than likely end up sweeping your off hand coming up, and a bent wrist is weak anyway over a locked wrist. If you are drawing from concealment by bending the wrist to rotate the muzzle forward just as you clear the holster, you may hit some snags such as clothing, or the grip catching on the holster itself during forward movement.
    Not saying you're doing anything wrong now exactly, just the information I gathered out of your explanation tells me I think you could do better for yourself, and you'll see why later. With firearms, there's rules to follow about safety and handling. With one's technique there are few hard and fast rules because everyone's different. Thing is some of the physics involved while keeping safety and stability in mind pretty much narrow down the variety of techniques into a smaller category where it's easier to focus on the basics, and reasons why.
    I actually DQ'd (disqualified) my wife on the range today during an informal practice session for unsafe gun handling. I told her what she did wrong. I don't ever want another RO to DQ her in a match.
    My best to you in everything you do.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Watch this VIDClip - It will really help you out.

YouTube - Inside the Crucible Volume 1

My boy JG AKA K. McCann

He brings the pistol up to chest level before he rocks the weapon forward. I rock the gun up out of the holster and point toward the target, then bring it to chest level before pushing it out. This gets the weapon pointed at the target at the first possible moment after clearing leather. In other words, he can't fire until it's chest level. I CAN shoot from the hip at this point. You have to be able to hit COM from the hip, but it is faster. (Off hand against chest, of course).

That CAR stance or training whatever its called looks very interesting. I'd definitely be willing to try that.

I know very little of that "system" but it looks and feels strange to move with my body bladed. If this training requires the conceal carry individual to blade their body before drawing, I'm not sure what to think of that as of yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links