If you can't get to the range - LaserLyte dryfire practice?

This is a discussion on If you can't get to the range - LaserLyte dryfire practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If circumstances prevented regular range trips, would you recommend dry fire practicing as a next-best for the months between range trips? If so, what do ...

Thread: If you can't get to the range - LaserLyte dryfire practice?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

If circumstances prevented regular range trips, would you recommend dry fire practicing as a next-best for the months between range trips?

If so, what do you think of the LaserLyte LT-PRO bore-laser training tool?

It fits inside the barrel and throws a dot on the wall when one pulls the trigger. This would permit quiet and frequent training episodes in the comfort of one's home, and would also show effectiveness in thread-focused / point shooting. Mfcmb reviewed the unit positively here, but I would like the perspective of you all on how to best allocate my resources if limited range time is assumed.

The cost is not trivial ($93 shipped), else I would just go out and get one. But it may be a wise purchase if one cannot make it to the range regularly.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I suppose it would be useful in that you'd be able to see where your first shot will end up. Although, I guess you won't really be able to verify how accurate the laser is in the first place. Yes its going down the barrel, but if it's just a few degrees off.... It wouldn't be of much use for follow up shots.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

I dry fire about 90 to 95 % of my practice. The same was true when I was involved in competitive shooting with a yearly average of 60,000 rounds.

Laser could be utilized as an excellent training tool. It helps to determine how your trigger pulls works as well as grip, draw and point shooting. The steadier the red monkey at the target, the better for you.

I love lasers as tools.

Go for it.

Pass.

I use a coin balanced on the front sight for trigger control drills.

I hold the weapon close, balance the coin, slowly and carefully thrust the weapon out without dropping the coin, and press the trigger without dropping the coin.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

$90...That's a lot of money for something you can do on your own if you are willing to work at it.

90 % of my training is drawing from the holster and dry firing. I do try to shoot once a week. I may put 20 to as much as 150 rounds through depending upon how I feel.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I want one -- I have done a LOT of dry fire (draw and fire) practice using a jerry rigged laser for this purpose and it helped me quite a bit.

Purpose build lasers were way too expensive, and I ended up spending about half the cost of this product on crap stuff that worked but was forever needing adjustment and was difficult to get on and off the firearm.

I will probably buy one of these unless I hear they break a lot or something.

Found it for $84 shipped at opticsplanet.com and they take PayPal (which I prefer so as to avoid giving out credit card info.) This is the "pro" model; the regular model is about $20 cheaper but sticks out of the barrel much farther so I would go for the "pro".
    Last edited by HerbM; June 3rd, 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add price/source

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Pass.

I use a coin balanced on the front sight for trigger control drills.

I hold the weapon close, balance the coin, slowly and carefully thrust the weapon out without dropping the coin, and press the trigger without dropping the coin.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

$90...That's a lot of money for something you can do on your own if you are willing to work at it.
    +1 Pass...I also dry fire with a washer on my gun.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I would like one myself and it would be useful since I also dry-fire on a human shaped target taped to the wall inside my closet door with snapcaps. I dry-fire only w/ pistol dryfiring drills for techniques that, for safety reasons, I am not allowed to use in the outdoor range, such as CQC shooting (high tactical ready/speed rock/angle forward/elbow technique/shove and shoot) and shooting while lying on my back. I do those dry-fire drills the night before I go to the outdoor range.

I don't know any other way to accomplish the purpose of the dry fire laser.

The main purpose of the laser training for me is to practice a draw to bring the muzzle on target rapidly, usually without any conscious acquisition of the sights, i.e., target focused and point shooting practice.

The coin method is not even very close to the same purpose, and certainly doesn't let you draw etc.

Probably the closest thing is airsoft, but it's not nearly as convenient, nor obvious (did it strike center of your target), nor does it use exactly the same gun etc.

My longest 'range' indoors at my home is 16 yards (through two bedrooms and long connecting hallway). Outside, I can get about 27 yards and stay within the (back)yard (usually a dusk or night to see the laser clearly).

Even if you don't want to 'point shoot' without use of the sights, being able to get the gun on target, sights aligned, in front of your eyes, and fired without disturbing the sights is a good skill to practice dry fire.

This practices not just trigger press, but also getting the gun pointed on the target smoothly and rapidly.

--
    HerbM
    Last edited by HerbM; June 3rd, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Ordered one today, I gotta stop looking at this forum I keep finding things I have to have!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links