Center Axis Relock (C.A.R.) Combat Stance

This is a discussion on Center Axis Relock (C.A.R.) Combat Stance within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm interested in doing some training with a C.A.R. and/or IDP instructor. I think this "style" makes much more sense than the traditional Isosceles ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Center Axis Relock (C.A.R.) Combat Stance

So, I'm interested in doing some training with a C.A.R. and/or IDP instructor. I think this "style" makes much more sense than the traditional Isosceles and Weaver point and shoots.

I was shooting in what my understanding after taking the online course is the "Extended" position, but I was made a fool of by an instructor/ranger supervisor because I'm newer to shooting and couldn't really explain myself while he had very good reasons for shooting Isosceles style. I don't like to be made a fool of, and I very much understand how people are VERY uptight about the "traditional" shooting stances, but I want to be able to shoot using this style as well as someone shooting traditionally!

What is the best option for me training wise, living in Arizona?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Oh, how the old timers hate CAR. It is totally based on harmonious muscle placement and the way the eye works. Here is an example-

For most people the natural focal distance is 11-13 inches (as if you are reading a magazine or book), I know we have some old salts here who need longer arms:) but try to follow me. Using either the Weaver or Isosceles the front site (about the size of a capital O) is about twice your natural focal distance. Using CAR it is at your natural focal distance. Try it, take your unloaded pistol and punch it out towards a target and look at the front site, it will be fuzzy, now bring it in until it is clear.- George

I'm a Old Vet that became disabled and had a rough time holding any type of traditional stance due to the injuries that I aquired.after much searching I came upon Sabre Tactical and Paul Castle, and I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the C.A.R. System I don't think I would be a fraction as proficient in my shooting or technique as I am now thanks to Paul.
    Some people who are set in there ways will say it doesn't work,well it's like anything else "Mindset" if you don't put your mind to something while learning it,it just doesn't click!!! This is by far the best System,with a stance and techniques that are far superior then anything that I have ever been taught by the government in my time of training.Reading everything on the sites is good but to really get a good grasp and total insight on everything you have to get the hands on training from Paul or one of his instructors.The training is well worth the price,If you ever get to meet Paul you'll be amazed at how much this man has put into developing this,he is not only a wealth of knowledge,you'll walk away with a new found best friend.He a hero to me for helping me to be able to find a platform that enables me to be able to defend myself in a proficient manner again. I no longer have to worry that I can't protect myself or my wife when were out and about.
    Take his course you won't be sorry,as far as I'm concerned it should be taught to every grunt and every LEO it would save lives!I don't think I have come across one person that has actually had Paul or one of his instructors who gave hands on instruction say his system didn't work!!!
    Last edited by ECHOONE; May 24th, 2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    I'm a Old Vet that became disabled and had a rough time holding any type of traditional stance due to the injuries that I aquired.after much searching I came upon Sabre Tactical and Paul Castle, and I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the C.A.R. System I don't think I would be a fraction as proficient in my shooting or technique as I am now thanks to Paul.
    Some people who are set in there ways will say it doesn't work,well it's like anything else "Mindset" if you don't put your mind to something while learning it,it just doesn't click!!! This is by far the best System,with a stance and techniques that are far superior then anything that I have ever been taught by the government in my time of training.Reading everything on the sites is good but to really get a good grasp and total insight on everything you have to get the hands on training from Paul or one of his instructors.The training is well worth the price,If you ever get to meet Paul you'll be amazed at how much this man has put into developing this,he is not only a wealth of knowledge,you'll walk away with a new found best friend.He a hero to me for helping me to be able to find a platform that enables me to be able to defend myself in a proficient manner again. I no longer have to worry that I can't protect myself or my wife when were out and about.
    Take his course you won't be sorry,as far as I'm concerned it should be taught to every grunt and every LEO it would save lives!I don't think I have come across one person that has actually had Paul or one of his instructors who gave hands on instruction say his system didn't work!!!

Paul is a good man and a hell of a brother. I have been to around 50 or so specialized schools over the years. When he did our basic CAR course it was for SWAT only. It was one of the most physically demanding schools I have ever been through. Paul did not ask us to do anything he did not do himself. During one drill we wore full kit and sat on picnic benches and hooked our feet under the table. As we did crunches we had to disassemble and assemble our pistols. It was about 95 degrees. - George

I find myself reverting to CAR when shearing off the line of fire to my support side. I do spend time training to transition my pistol to my "live hand" but it seems that any time I'm doing FOF with airsoft and I get off the X forward and to the left, (I'm a southpaw) my body just instinctively goes to CAR. I've found it to be a sound concept, but thats just me. Always seems to work sans sights.
    Last edited by Threadbare; May 29th, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: public edumacation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links