Slow weapons

This is a discussion on Slow weapons within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may have mentioned before but a friend of mine who is kind of anti gun (he is just afraid of them really, not against ...

Thread: Slow weapons

Slow weapons

I may have mentioned before but a friend of mine who is kind of anti gun (he is just afraid of them really, not against them) knows I carry.

we were talking draw time etc and about defense, and he was standing close to me. I told him at that range I wouldn't even have time to react and draw and I would probably just try and go hand to hand instead. He thought he was clever and said "yeah but can you defense against THIS?"

At this point he quickly pulled up a folded metal chair and prepared to feign a swing, by time he had it shoulder level I was already on top of him and he wasn't nearly ready to swing.

This was a lesson I told him. if someone is going to attack you with something "slow" (A heavy pipe, chair, bat) don't run away from them, run TO them. their weapon will be ineffective and they will be vulnerable. this has become very instinctual for me and I charged him without even thinking of a response.

Now when you are in a life or death situation you have two choices. do you back away to give yourself to draw on a charger with a large weapon? or do you run in and get the jump on them?

Your decision will probably be based on how confident you are in your close quarter hand to hand ability.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think putting space between you and your attacker is the best idea. Getting close not only allows them to continue their attack, but gives then the chance to disarm you.
    A chair or pipe has very limited range and your drawn gun is a great deterrent.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I think putting space between you and your attacker is the best idea. Getting close not only allows them to continue their attack, but gives then the chance to disarm you.
    A chair or pipe has very limited range and your drawn gun is a great deterrent.
    if they have a two hand grip on their weapon and you move in YOU have the advantage. mid swing you will have ample time to strike the nose, throat, collar bone, solar plexus , or groin or all of the above.

if you want to go the route of getting distance between you, backing up is slow so be careful. if you turn the other way to make some space, make sure you can outrun your attacker or else you will be hit in the back. but, in either case it will still give you more time to draw.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

It depends on the attacker...the situation...and your self-defense abilities. If you are trained/don't mind CQB up close and personal or if getting in close with an adversary allows time for your family to get away/get to another weapon (or draw theirs), that may work for you. If you are looking to get away and get distance..running away is also an option.

Meanwhile your demonstration shows your friend that self-defense isn't by gun alone. Try the demo again with a red gun--while your friend has both hands on the chair, get up in close and personal, backing him up, draw and "bang bang"....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If I cannot be a mile away I want to be on top of them. Like a plastic bag on their face. Stop it before it begins.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    If I cannot be a mile away I want to be on top of them. Like a plastic bag on their face. Stop it before it begins.- George

mercop I like your style
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

If the assailant has a knife, I will put some distance between us before I do anything else. Disregard the movie theatrics.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

a chair? run toward
    a knife? run back and draw
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    If the assailant has a knife, I will put some distance between us before I do anything else. Disregard the movie theatrics.
    well this was mainly against slower weapons, I def would not put a knife in that category.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    +1 Agreed. Like a tornado, I want to be able to suck them in to my playing field, chew them up, and spit them out in a billion pieces.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would rather be out of their contact range with a firearm than in a hand to hand confrontation if I can. If I can't get out, then the only other choice is to go in. So it depends on my ability to get away enough to draw.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Watch Marc Denny's "Die Less Often". Be ready, there are graphic pictures of guys who tried to put distance between the knife attacker and themselves. Don't worry, they were autopsy photos and they weren't in any pain at that point.

Denny refers to it as "Bringing a gun to a knife fight". If you haven't tried drawing against a knife armed attacker, I don't blame ya--you don't know. If you had, you'd be scared silly and take some training (I was and I did).

DLO is an eye opener. It was my "Oh crap" moment, and it saved me once already. If you're a gun guy who thinks "just shoot 'em" is the answer, you don't get how dangerous a knife can be.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Moderator
    I like to close and engage. It does two things. It reduces the leverage in which your attacker can hit you with.

Think of it like this...
    When you swing a bat, the ball that you hit will travel the furthest when you hit the "sweet spot" near the end of the bat. If you hit the ball on the handle, it usually wont make it past the infield.

When swinging a pipe,bat, chair or whatever, closing the distance and getting up close will negate a lot of force. Stepping back and away could put you in the "sweet spot".

Another thing that it does is put the attacker on the defense. This is where I personally believe that an overwhelming offense it better than defense. It takes the initiative away from the attacker and if done in a forceful manner can surprise the attacker to the point of being ineffective. In hand to hand battle where there are no rules, biting,kicking, kneeing,elbowing,hard jabs, palm heel strikes to the nose...what ever it will be, often the first striking blow can determine the winner or the loser. Knowing this up front and trying to achieve it can be the difference between going to the house when its over or going to the morgue.

Most people don't have the hand to hand skills and most people are not skilled in fighting because they don't have to do it much. While there are some real baddasses out there they are few and far between. Some one getting stupid can usually be dealt with if you have any skills at all.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links