Where to train in AZ? - Page 2

Where to train in AZ?

This is a discussion on Where to train in AZ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BikerRN Contact Derby Guns. They will be bringing Massad Ayoob to Phoenix later in the year. Also, I believe they do some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to train in AZ?

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Contact Derby Guns.

They will be bringing Massad Ayoob to Phoenix later in the year. Also, I believe they do some training of their own as well. Brownie, a member of the forum is in your area as well, and does training.

Biker
    I recommend Brownie because not only is he teaching lifesaving skills but teaches a lot in the typical weekend.
    No fluff, no filler, and no, as is a common term in law enforcement, "Bitchin' range drills.
    designed to waste time and ammo.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Gabe Suarez has an instructor in the Phoenix area named Doug Little. He works out of the Ben Avery Shooting Park and has been established in the area for a very long time.

APDI Arizona - Armed Personal Defense Institute

He covers the basics all the way up to the advanced stuff.
    Roger Phillips Owner of Fight Focused Concepts

http://fightfocusedconcepts.wordpress.com/

Situations dictate strategies, strategies dictate tactics, and tactics dictate techniques.....techniques should not dictate anything.

Mr. Matthew and Mr. Roger,

Sorry for the confusion, and getting my wires crossed. I was thinking of Doug Little, but got the name wrong. I was also thinking of Brownie too. In short, if you look, you will find a lot of instruction in the Phoenix area. The trick is determining which will meet your needs.

No disrespect intented.

Biker

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Mr. Matthew and Mr. Roger,

Sorry for the confusion, and getting my wires crossed. I was thinking of Doug Little, but got the name wrong. I was also thinking of Brownie too. In short, if you look, you will find a lot of instruction in the Phoenix area. The trick is determining which will meet your needs.

No disrespect intented.

Biker
    One of these days I plan to retire to AZ where I can avoid NY winters and NY gun laws.
    There are a lot of good instructors in AZ.
    Find one who you like and who teaches what you want to learn.

Sponsor
    Well I have been looking around at a few different handgun training courses here in AZ and as I am not from here and havent been here all that long I have no idea who is good and who is an idiot. Looks to be a few of both. I have been around guns my whole life and am looking at starting to expand my skill set for a defensive scenario so im not looking to take a beginners handgun course. So anybody taken and classes in AZ? Where have you heard good things about? Im in Chandler and would like to stay in the Phoenix metro area. Thanks!

yankeeman,

Welcome to Az.

I'm Brownie, mentioned here a few times in the above posts. If you want to contact me relative training, PM me and we can discuss what you're looking for in training. I'm 40 miles east of Phoenix.

I've just returned from two training classes back to back on the east coast. Next class I'm holding is with a Texas swat team June 13th and then back to the east coast for another weekend of training July 2-5, but we can discuss your schedule and requirements if you would like anytime.

BikerRN; Matt; hogdaddy,

Thanks for the mention, hope all of you have a great summer.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have taken about 5 or 6 classes at Caswells....they are very good and informative, and JR Robie is an excellent instructor. If you like snubs, he has an excellent snubbie class. Lately I prefer the classes of APDI at Ben Avery. The only down side to Caswells, is the more advanced classes are given on two-back to back nights....I would rather take my classes in one long day....like APDI does.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Well I have been looking around at a few different handgun training courses here in AZ and as I am not from here and havent been here all that long I have no idea who is good and who is an idiot. Looks to be a few of both. I have been around guns my whole life and am looking at starting to expand my skill set for a defensive scenario so im not looking to take a beginners handgun course. So anybody taken and classes in AZ? Where have you heard good things about? Im in Chandler and would like to stay in the Phoenix metro area. Thanks!

yankeeman,

Welcome to Az.

I'm Brownie, mentioned here a few times in the above posts. If you want to contact me relative training, PM me and we can discuss what you're looking for in training. I'm 40 miles east of Phoenix.

I've just returned from two training classes back to back on the east coast. Next class I'm holding is with a Texas swat team June 13th and then back to the east coast for another weekend of training July 2-5, but we can discuss your schedule and requirements if you would like anytime.

BikerRN; Matt; hogdaddy,

Thanks for the mention, hope all of you have a great summer.
    I would add that in February we will hold our annual Sightless class.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 7677 View Post
    I would add that in February we will hold our annual Sightless class.
    Please PM me the details when they become available...
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Hi, all of you non-military are welcome to the Civilian class at Ft. Huachuca.
    Military/LEO are certainly welcome to attend the class for free. But, at this point the Mil/LEO can't mix with civilians. It is the same base course.
    This week 4 members of a Phoenix area Tactical team will join 2 Federal agents,2 San Diego officers, 1 retired Austin,4 U S Army and 2 Air Force folks in the advanced class.

The base class will have folks from nearly all Cochise County Police agencies and an equal number of military.

The civilian class on the 30th is the same as the military base class.

I'm looking for a personal trainer somewhere in the phoenix metro area.

I'm a relatively new shooter (my one and only gun is a G26).

I'm not very good. I've got nearly 800 rounds through the gun and I still can't hit the spot I'm aiming at. I do, however, group pretty much the same spot, just not the spot I'm trying to hit. I'm tired of building muscle memory for bad habits.

I'm looking for someone who can spend a couple of hours with me to evaluate my grip, stance, trigger control et cetera.

I'm not interested in a drill instructor type who'll yell at me. I want someone with the skill to shoot, the ability to teach and the patience to correct my errors.

Has anyone worked with the folks at the Scottsdale Gun Club (Joe Bridgman & Jon Antrim)?

Does anyone have any name/links for me?

I have neither the free time nor the extra bucks to go to a place like Gunsite.

I'd appreciate your help.

Simeon

P.S. I live up by Carefree Hwy so I'd prefer someone towards the North Valley.
    P.P.S. If it makes a difference I don't care what the gender of the instructor is. If they can teach me what I need to know that's all I want.

Simeon,

Email sent re: training in north Phoenix.

dvc45

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Look up Member AzQkr (Brownies) Homepage!!
    H/D
    Top notch training...

...and he'll buy you breakfast, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links