Where to train in AZ?

Where to train in AZ?

This is a discussion on Where to train in AZ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I have been looking around at a few different handgun training courses here in AZ and as I am not from here and havent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to train in AZ?

Where to train in AZ?

Well I have been looking around at a few different handgun training courses here in AZ and as I am not from here and havent been here all that long I have no idea who is good and who is an idiot. Looks to be a few of both. I have been around guns my whole life and am looking at starting to expand my skill set for a defensive scenario so im not looking to take a beginners handgun course. So anybody taken and classes in AZ? Where have you heard good things about? Im in Chandler and would like to stay in the Phoenix metro area. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    Well I have been looking around at a few different handgun training courses here in AZ and as I am not from here and havent been here all that long I have no idea who is good and who is an idiot. Looks to be a few of both. I have been around guns my whole life and am looking at starting to expand my skill set for a defensive scenario so im not looking to take a beginners handgun course. So anybody taken and classes in AZ? Where have you heard good things about? Im in Chandler and would like to stay in the Phoenix metro area. Thanks!
    Check out Scottsdale Gun Club's training options.

If you are interested, I'm trying to a get a few people to go out to Cali on a weekend June for an IPD (Immediate Personal Defense) "Live Fire" training session. SGC definitely offers some good options, though. They do all the IPDA stuff there, and they were actually holding an IPDA competition today. It was interesting to say the least.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    SGC is okay, though personally I have had some abrasion there from guys who are cocky. I prefer Shooter's World (Home Page) at 28th Ave and Indian School.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I have never taken any classes from Caswells but I have heard nothing but good things about an instructor by the name of Robie. My ccw instructors mentioned him as being one of the best in the valley, Caswells is located at Stapley and the 60 freeway in Mesa. Caswells .:. Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    SGC is okay, though personally I have had some abrasion there from guys who are cocky.
    I have had this same experience with a few guys, but most of them are pretty cool. I use my "ignore talent" with the know-it-all's.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Look up Member AzQkr (Brownies) Homepage!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Living in Arizona, you've really got a cornucopia of firearm self defense trainers to choose from. I really wish I hadn't waited until moving away from AZ before becoming seriously interested in shooting.

The one Arizona trainer I've taken some classes from is Gabe Suarez (suarezinternational.com). In fact, I'm going to be flying out there twice this summer to train with him.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Yavapai Firearms Academy=Louis Awerbuck, is another one to check out in AZ. Got some training videos on him and he got great material. He also knows his stuff.

Shots Ranch for the win...thats if you wanna get serious!!1

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

Thanks everyone for the responses, I had looked into the SGC but I dont like the fact that they have prerequisite classes to get into the intermediate pistol classes (good for them of course) I dont know why I didnt know that Gabe Saurez was headquartered here in AZ. Caswells is one that I have been considering but I dont know anyone that has trained there. AZ Hawk what are the specifics on the California training? I have wanted to take a class on C.A.R. but the wife just finished grad school at ASU and it may be a lil much for now.

I think that I am leaning towards Gabe Saurez, Caswells or Threatfocused. I'll look around and we will have to see. If anyone else in the area is looking to take a course let me know and maybe we can get a few of us from the site in a class together.

AZ Hawk what are the specifics on the California training? I have wanted to take a class on C.A.R. but the wife just finished grad school at ASU and it may be a lil much for now.

I think that I am leaning towards Gabe Saurez, Caswells or Threatfocused. I'll look around and we will have to see. If anyone else in the area is looking to take a course let me know and maybe we can get a few of us from the site in a class together.
    June 19th and 20th out in Chino, CA, which is a little east of L.A. It's the civilian "IPD" version of C.A.R., but I think these guys may teach the whole system. The weekend costs $240 total for both days, and the hours are 8am - 5pm, so it's ALL day. (I believe Paul Castle is supposed to be the there that weekend, too). So, you are paying about $15 an hour minus lunch hour which is pretty reasonable IMO.

Immediate Personal Defense (IPD) Systems

EDIT: You learn C.A.R., they just don't go over the LE / Military specific stuff like breaching, etc. And if you have any questions, you can always PM me or write them here. It's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I have never taken any classes from Caswells but I have heard nothing but good things about an instructor by the name of Robie. My ccw instructors mentioned him as being one of the best in the valley, Caswells is located at Stapley and the 60 freeway in Mesa. Caswells .:. Home Page
    If you're already a veteran of the likes of GunSite, Thunder Ranch, EAG, Gabe Suarez, or Larry Vickers, then Caswell's is probably less than what you need. But if your training has been at a less stellar level, then I urge you to give them a call. "JR" Robie is a great teacher, and their prices are quite reasonable. You won't go wrong spending time training there.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Suarez International, hands down.

Contact Derby Guns.

They will be bringing Massad Ayoob to Phoenix later in the year. Also, I believe they do some training of their own as well. Brownie, a member of the forum is in your area as well, and does training.
    Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links