Voice commands. Do you practice them?

This is a discussion on Voice commands. Do you practice them? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Giving verbal commands can do a couple of things to help the situation. First by speaking in a loud and firm voice it forces you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Voice commands. Do you practice them?

VIP Member
    Giving verbal commands can do a couple of things to help the situation.
    First by speaking in a loud and firm voice it forces you to breath during a period of stress and helps you deal with the tremendous chemical dump your body has just placed upon you, aka the fight or flight syndrome.
    You would be amazed at the number of tactical operators and foreign troops that I have trained that had to be reminded to breathe during an training operation.
    Their response to stress was either to hold their breath or breathe so shallow that they were not getting enough oxygen. It is the same as when running in military formations, not only does it motivate the troops, keep you in step but also forces you to breathe in extra oxygen.
    Secondly the verbal command draws attention to yourself and the situation. BG has a knife and is advancing you draw and fire, witnesses turn to the sound of the shot and their statement is "I didnt see a knife he just shot him".
    You give verbal commands such as "DROP THE KNIFE" "STOP, DONT COME ANY CLOSER" the witnesses now turn and look at you and the situation and the statement can be "He told the guy with the knife to put it down and dont come any closer until that guy was forced to shoot him".
    This would also work if the witness was out of sight but not earshot. "I heard him tell the guy to drop the knife and back off but I guess he didnt listen and he had to shoot him".
    Whether the command is a simple "NO" or "STOP" or whatever you choose to you it may help in different ways when the time comes.
    Just an opinion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    voice commands...... nope can't say I practice that.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yes, I practice my voice commands.
    While I am in my clown suit, wearing a sam brown, in front of full length mirror.

Seriously now,

Shouting commands as tacman said is a very good idea.

Wittiness's Witness's Witnesses. You can't get enough of them.

Next, yelling at the perp, telling him/her to STOP, or just say NO, while you are holding your weapon, in its holster, or leveled at their COM, may snap him/her out of their intent to do you harm. Hopefully, everyone goes home that night.

Lastly, as tacman said, it will allow you to focus at the situation at hand.

One needs to also remember what to say. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
    Doing the dirty Harry routine, sounds great, but is a bad idea. Saying something, like "take one step closer, and I will kill you is a bad idea".
    Remember folks, its not about killing, its making the dirt bag stop his/her attack.
    Perhaps the perp is a new comer to the USA. He/she does not speak the language. That is why keep it simple will work.
    Yelling STOP, or NO, is the only way to go, IMO.

Voice commands At the range,(RangeHOT)(Range cold)
    Reckon thats about it, Other than at the Kid,Wife & Freinds ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    "DROP THE KNIFE" "STOP, DONT COME ANY CLOSER"
    Yeah like "DROP THE" bang! "KNIFE" bang! bang! "STOP, DONT COME ANY CLOSER"

Quote Originally Posted by POGOTHECLOWN View Post
    Shouting commands as tacman said is a very good idea.

Wittiness's Witness's Witnesses. You can't get enough of them.

<...>

One needs to also remember what to say. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
    Doing the dirty Harry routine, sounds great, but is a bad idea. Saying something, like "take one step closer, and I will kill you is a bad idea".
    Remember folks, its not about killing, its making the dirt bag stop his/her attack.
    Exactly my thoughts. I'd rather pull a weapon and start yelling "Get the eff away from me!" at the top of my lungs at somebody than having to shoot them - only if they aren't about to attack of course.

I have 2 kids, I practice voice commands all day

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    SHTF situations happen so fast what makes you think you'll have time to say anything?

More than likely the BG will already be using his "command voice" on you.
    NRA Life Member

If I'm pulling a deadly weapon out of its holster, "words" are the last thing on my mind. So, no.
    Lot's of variables here though, liiiiike: If he has a knife and is walking towards me from far away then perhaps that is a "yes", but if he has a knife and is busy stabbing someone over and over again then, that is a nooooooo to ANY verbal mouthing that needs to happen.

I have a commanding voice as well, and can easily be transformed into something along the lines of the drill instructor in the movie "Full Metal Jacket", but I don't "practice" voice commands. It is something I'm just not focusing on doing, at that moment.

Now after the initial BANG BANG BANG....(Up to 14 times/reload/if needed to cease the threat(s)/whatever....), then my smartass would probably, knowing me, at that point, belt out an R Lee Ermey, "How's that feel now, Shitbird!?! Looks ta' me, like that's gonna' leave a friggin' mark huh?!?"

Yes, I amuse myself. Those "prior/active", will get this....

I think the most important "words" to "practice" come AFTERWARDS.....Including, "I felt like he was going to kill me and my family", et cetera.
    1) I was scared for my life
    2) Is he going to be ok? (Really? I have to say this? Damn...)
    3) I will make a statement as soon as I speak with legal representation.

Or, more like this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=16359316001
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

I practice, "PUT DOWN THE WEAPON" or "STOP". In my CHL class it was highly recommended that we give a verbal warning, something to that effect -- first you have a higher chance of having a witness you are defending yourself; second, you have a higher chance of having a witness you attempted to deescalate the situation.
    Knowing is half the battle.

VIP Member
    Not saying you will have time to do anything but draw and fire. If you practice using the commands now they will become habit when you have to use them for real.
    Although I know you were kidding comments yelled or stated at those times can come back and bite you in the ass on occasion. Witnessess will probably remember that one smartass comment and nothing else.
    As I stated yelling a command forces you to breathe which helps relieve the stress of the situation and helps you focus. Remember you will be dealing with tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, dry mouth, the overwhelming urge to urinate, loss of fine motor skills among other things.
    Anything that I am able to do to help me get through these things I will do if I possibly can.
    But just an opinion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Not saying you will have time to do anything but draw and fire. If you practice using the commands now they will become habit when you have to use them for real.
    Although I know you were kidding comments yelled or stated at those times can come back and bite you in the ass on occasion. Witnessess will probably remember that one smartass comment and nothing else.
    As I stated yelling a command forces you to breathe which helps relieve the stress of the situation and helps you focus. Remember you will be dealing with tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, dry mouth, the overwhelming urge to urinate, loss of fine motor skills among other things.
    Anything that I am able to do to help me get through these things I will do if I possibly can.
    But just an opinion.

Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I practice them when I dry-fire at home and when behind closed doors/windows of my car when driving.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I also do my war cry when I punch the bag or lift weights too (LOL).

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I did Military Training, yes I have a loud commanding voice, I don't intend to use it on anyone except to yell medic when it's over with.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links