Voice commands. Do you practice them? - Page 3

Voice commands. Do you practice them?

This is a discussion on Voice commands. Do you practice them? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; voice commands have their place and are probably most useful before a situation calls for deadly force...during escalation...something to think about...part of your objective is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    voice commands have their place and are probably most useful before a situation calls for deadly force...during escalation...something to think about...part of your objective is to avoid a situation...verbal skills can be a big help here...

as far as the sarcastic remarks afterward like "hows that feel now, shitbird?"...thats gonna follow you to court...and i know the programmed response is "i dont care because i'm alive" sounds good....you can avoid a great deal of unnecessary financial and legal burden by curtailing your celebration of victory until youre in a private place...witnesses are gonna remember high fives and smartass remarks and theyre not gonna be a help to you....you didnt just take a hill...you shot someone in public during peacetime...keep your tongue...

We have run a defensive pistol league off and on during the last 15 years (and are looking to start one up again later this year).

We have a drill where we call out "CHALLENGE", the shooter draws and steps behind cover, covering down on the suspect target and they issue a verbal command such as "STOP" or "DON'T MOVE".

If the "GUN" command is given, then they shoot. (If I had access to turning targets, this would work even better - but you make do.)

We feel that it is important to practice this from time to time.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I practice it all the time....but it seems I shoot faster than I can speak

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    I have 2 kids, I practice voice commands all day
    Me too,

STOP, DON'T TOUCH THAT, PUT THAT DOWN, DON'T HIT YOUR BROTHER, DON'T SIT ON THE CAT............
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    voice commands have their place and are probably most useful before a situation calls for deadly force...during escalation...something to think about...part of your objective is to avoid a situation...verbal skills can be a big help here...

as far as the sarcastic remarks afterward like "hows that feel now, shitbird?"...thats gonna follow you to court...and i know the programmed response is "i dont care because i'm alive" sounds good....you can avoid a great deal of unnecessary financial and legal burden by curtailing your celebration of victory until youre in a private place...witnesses are gonna remember high fives and smartass remarks and theyre not gonna be a help to you....you didnt just take a hill...you shot someone in public during peacetime...keep your tongue...
    I agree here with Blade... No problem with a civilian issuing a verbal command if it avoids a shooting! I would also recommend to refrain from cursing as that often inflames the situation and escalates it further. Show restraint and act professional.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I sing in the shower.

If a BG is coming at me or mine, I have no doubts at all that I'll be hollering for him/her to "back the @*(#*!@$ away from me" at the top of my lungs so that anyone within the boundaries of the Milky Way know what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post

I don't really CARE....if it "follows me to court". Witnesses are going to remember that the PERP initiated the situation and someone stopped it.

I didn't shoot them during "peacetime", I shot them during a situation of life and death. If I want to call them a crapbird for initiating a DEADLY situation, and then ceasing that DEADLY situation, then I'll do so.

Look, I fully understand "witnesses" and "perceptions" and all the other aspects that go along with a situation such as this, but by God we need to stop thinking like WE are the problem here.

If I've gotten to the POINT where I have to actually use deadly force to render an idiot DEAD, then I've gotten to the point where me calling them a fricken idiot afterwards really matters very little to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I agree here with Blade... No problem with a civilian issuing a verbal command if it avoids a shooting! I would also recommend to refrain from cursing as that often inflames the situation and escalates it further. Show restraint and act professional

I respectfully disagree. PRECISE HARD COMMANDS to an idiot that is a threat is what's often needed to show said idiot that you mean business, and that you will drop him on his shadow, without hesitation or a second thought. These people don't care about you....
    TELL them, that they are but a whisper in the wind, and if they have a problem with it, today is the day they see God. They do NOT care about you, and we need to stop being so "PC" about this.
    Hard issued commands come beforehand. My "smartalec" remarks afterwards (if they THEN decide they want to proceed with idiocy, and end up face down), was joking around a bit, but you know what? 1) I'm alive, and I've then met FORCE....with ULTIMATE FORCE, and 2) I could care less if the DEAD "perps" last words from me were...."Uh, You shouldn't have tried that, idiot...."

=Having to kill someone requires no restraint, and it never should, once committed.......and the only "professionalism" needed, is aim true, and finish it like you've trained. SCREW these people who would dare think they can take your life for the heck of it.

I don't care about the lives or feeeelings of people, that don't care about MY life.

Again "Witnesses" are going to remember the BG being told to PUT DOWN THE WEAPON! ( or any other catchphrase anyone wants to remember for "witnesses") but at the end of the day, "witnesses" are going to remember the BG "going for it" and those that are willing to end it, ENDING it.
    For clarification, again:
    I think the most important "words" to "practice" come AFTERWARDS.....Including, "I felt like he was going to kill me and my family", et cetera.
    1) I was scared for my life
    2) Is he going to be ok? (Really? I have to say this? Damn...)
    3) I will make a statement as soon as I speak with legal representation.

Or, more like this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=16359316001
    Last edited by TheoryRealm; June 15th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    I respectfully disagree. PRECISE HARD COMMANDS to an idiot that is a threat is what's often needed to show said idiot that you mean business, and that you will drop him on his shadow, without hesitation or a second thought. These people don't care about you....TELL them, they are but a whisper in the wind, and if they have a problem with it, today is the day they see God. They do NOT care about you, and we need to stop being so "PC" about this.
    Hard issued commands come beforehand. My "smartalec" remarks afterwards were a joke, but you know what? 1) I'm alive, and I've then met FORCE....with ULTIMATE FORCE, and 2) I could care less if the DEAD "perps" last words from me were...."Uh, You shouldn't have tried that, idiot...."
    I have to conditionally agree with this. There are situations, especially dealing with certain people do not respond to ordinary commands. Without a certain element of profanity and iron in the commands, they simply do not take them seriously. It is the ability to communicate with the individual on a level that they can understand and relate to. Is it always the best policy, no, but there are times that it is. If a little profanity will reduce/eliminate the need for me to kill someone, I am not above it. Determining if a situation calls for it, I leave up to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I have to conditionally agree with this. There are situations, especially dealing with certain people do not respond to ordinary commands. Without a certain element of profanity and iron in the commands, they simply do not take them seriously. It is the ability to communicate with the individual on a level that they can understand and relate to. Is it always the best policy, no, but there are times that it is. If a little profanity will reduce/eliminate the need for me to kill someone, I am not above it. Determining if a situation calls for it, I leave up to the individual.
    Thank you, THAT is what I meant to say...
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I agree with you 100%. Of course, you and I have actually had to issue strong verbal commands to people in reality. Not in theory.

VIP Member
    Verbal commands no matter what is said to a point can help in a situation. Of course in the perfect world you would not have to use profanity or slang to get your point across but I have yet to find that perfect world.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

How about the command, "If you even blink, you'll die in the dark!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    How about the command, "If you even blink, you'll die in the dark!"
    Hey, that's catchy.

Say what you think is best . There have been some good suggestions and some sage advice given here. Just remember it is almost impossible to talk and shoot at the same time.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

i was taught to yell "freeze please" which when said a little slurred, sounds like "freeze police" .. now that can go one of two ways .. either the BG freeze's because he heard "police" instead of please and the situation is defused, or he doesn't care that it may be a LEO and the situation remains the same .. or worse .. i have never had a situation where that was called for, but sounds like it might diffuse a situation, without impersonating a LEO .. any LEO's out there care to comment? .. any down side to this verbal command? ..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links