Voice commands. Do you practice them? - Page 4

Voice commands. Do you practice them?

This is a discussion on Voice commands. Do you practice them? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sh00tn Butt i was taught to yell "freeze please" which when said a little slurred, sounds like "freeze police" .. now that ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Voice commands. Do you practice them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh00tn Butt View Post
    i was taught to yell "freeze please" which when said a little slurred, sounds like "freeze police" .. now that can go one of two ways .. either the BG freeze's because he heard "police" instead of please and the situation is defused, or he doesn't care that it may be a LEO and the situation remains the same .. or worse .. i have never had a situation where that was called for, but sounds like it might diffuse a situation, without impersonating a LEO .. any LEO's out there care to comment? .. any down side to this verbal command? ..
    I'm not a LEO....but I would think people (witnesses) would believe they heard you say "stop police".....and now you are looking at possible charges of impersonating a LEO....You say "please"...2-4 witnesses say you said "police"--what will be believed?

If you're going to say anything....it's going to be something you want the BG to do...."stop" "go away" "leave me alone"...and the like. By hedging what you are saying, you are putting doubt in those around you...."did he say police?"...."maybe he's acting like a cop"..."maybe he's out to shoot someone".....

see what I mean??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In addition to what S229 said, "Freeze" being part of the vernacular common between cops and bgs, I suspect that any bonified bg will at least suspect that you are the law. That may be a good or bad thing depending on the situation. Some fear armed citizens more than they do the law.

Yes I certainly do! Whenever I go to the range I yell "STOP!" as I draw my weapon. This serves several purposes:

1. Yelling stop everytime I draw my pistol makes that part of my draw. It becomes second nature to say stop. In a real fight, I don't have to worry about what I am going to say.

2. The bad guy might actually stop. If I can protect myself without firing a round, that is ideal. Yelling a verbal command like stop might be enough to de-escalate that situation.

3. Although I am not a cop, it is important for people around me to hear something good like "STOP!" as opposed to "DIE SCUMBAG". In stressful situations, you will most likely say something. It should be something clear, concise, and meaningful that lets others know you are not the attacker.

I may give up a slight tactical advantage, but shooting someone without warning is not necessarily the right answer either. Part of carrying a weapon is assessing the situation and applying the correct response. Sometimes that may require stealth, but more often then not a commanding "STOP!" will help to either defuse the situation or alert everyone around you that their is a problem.

I often get looks at the range when I yell "STOP!" before a draw, but it's an important skill that many people don't practice. Train like you fight!
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

VIP Member
    Good for you Jenson. Keep it up.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

In stressful situations, you will most likely say something. It should be something clear, concise, and meaningful that lets others know you are not the attacker.
    I like the way you think, Jensen. Great comment.

Also, at times it may be necessary to address not the BG in question, but other people in the area. For example, say that you and Mr Belligerent are exchanging words in public. Might have drawn a few onlookers - you know, people get curious, they want to see what's going on.

Now you've got a few people standing around and you don't know if any of them are pals of the BG. Clarify the situation: "All you people here, if you aren't part of this I need you to leave, now!"

No personal opinion on talking to the BG directly, but in general the idea of "witness management" is too abstract for me. If you have time, "Stop or I'll shoot" is fair warning, but I suspect I'd be too excited and overwhelmed to predict what I would say. Your policy of training and including the command is a very good one.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I couldn't agree more with directing the crowd as well. Chances are that you will definately draw a crowd. I might also add "Call 911" if I am still in the fight.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Yes, I have a set of voice commands that I practice. There are several good reasons to have some simple, clear, voice commands that you practice. Not only can they help you legally, they can save you from being shot by somebody else. I've been in several simulations when I've been shot by other concealed carriers who misinterpreted a situation. In many situations people around you are not aware of what's going on until you have a gun in your hand (shooting or not). It is very easy for people to assume you are the bad guy.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh00tn Butt View Post
    i was taught to yell "freeze please" which when said a little slurred, sounds like "freeze police" .. now that can go one of two ways .. either the BG freeze's because he heard "police" instead of please and the situation is defused, or he doesn't care that it may be a LEO and the situation remains the same .. or worse .. i have never had a situation where that was called for, but sounds like it might diffuse a situation, without impersonating a LEO .. any LEO's out there care to comment? .. any down side to this verbal command? ..
    I need to practice my voice commands. "BANG BANG Freeze"
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

how about the famous "Stick around..." What's that from?

I have made a lot of people think twice about their actions more than once using just my voice.
    You sure it wasn't the socks?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links