Defensive Carry banner

Voice commands. Do you practice them?

5K views 54 replies 39 participants last post by  Geronimo45 
#1 ·
Do you practice voice commands at the range or during dry fire when you are home? Coming out of the holster and shouting commands?

My voice is one of my best weapons. My voice can become very intimidating. I have made a lot of people think twice about their actions more than once using just my voice.

If I ever have to draw I'm pretty damn confident that what I will say will be very loud and said with confidence but even with knowing that I will continue to practice my voice commands when I'm drawing.

#2 ·
Not for a long time now.
Tip: While volume and confidence are good, IMO the number one thing is earnest in what you say. A quality that causes anyone who hears, to believe what you say without a doubt.

#3 ·
I believe that my voice has saved my bacon a few times. Everytime I come home with a new gun I practice "I'm sorry it was on sale" "no honey, I did t already have one just like it" and so forth.

In all seriousness it is a great thing to do. I haven't worked on it in quite some time and I need to get back into the practice.

#4 ·
What kinds of "commands"?

I'm not a cop...I don't pretend to be one...

Who am I "commanding"? What do I want them to do? Again, I'm not a cop....I'm not trying to arrest, detain, or otherwise control.

If I'm drawing...it's beyond voice commands....

The only thing I'm saying in a command voice is after it is all said and done and that is: "call 911......he/she tried to kill me/my wife/my children...." etc...

#5 ·
The only voice commands I might be giving would be to family/friends who (would be) caught up in the same 'incident' requiring me to draw.

I worked with Base Security for a little while and the training was invalueable. I've often wondered if I'd revert 'back' to 'that' part of my training during a fight......using vox. commands?

I certinally do not 'practice' that anymore.

#6 ·
Not regularly - occasionally at a practical club that is primarily oriented towards defensive practice rather than competition. I've seen some IDPA guys do it.

I do believe it can be a sound tactical doctrine. A loud "LEAVE ME ALONE!", "I'M ARMED!", "DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!" etc. might not only have the desired effect; causing an assailant to de-escalate - it can also serve to draw attention to the confrontation and alert bystanders to take cover/call 911 etc. In the aftermath, witness testimony that you loudly warned your attacker before engaging lethal force should be a good thing. You never know, however.

Joe

#7 ·
Ya know, I hear ya should, but I don't.

I'm concerned for the "combat squeak"--when adrenalin is running high and your voice breaks under stress--but I don't think you can practice getting around that.

The brain can't do 2 things at once. I can run the gun or give commands. I think I'll run the gun...LOL...And give commands later.

"Is everyone okay? Don't go closer, he still has a weapon! You--go check to see that everyone is okay. YOU! call the police and an ambulance. When you get the police let me talk to them..." etc

#8 ·
Yes I do!

Back OFF!
STOP!
Leave me ALONE!

are my primary commands.

But! My "practice" commands are always followed up with: BANG! BANG! and sometimes: another BANG!! (Unless I'm shooting at two targets.)

The last instance where I felt threatened, NO words were exchanged. It was a couple of minutes of stare down and me moving behind my vehicle to cover. (The three gentleman decided against any further action and the cars that had blocked my path sped off into the night.)

#10 ·
They taught us voice commands at Front Sight. But, I don't practice them at home.

I'm not sure how I feel about them, where they fit in tactically...

#11 ·
No. I've never practiced voice commands. #1 I'm not a LEO. #2 this may give away any tactical advantage I might have. I have a good, deep, confident voice BTW from what others have told me. I don't wish to startle anyone nor assert a canine dominance over another human being. I may have questions to ask in a simple tone while looking through my sights once they are in my sights as to their disposition at the time though. If voice commands worked as intended, we wouldn't need to carry a firearm now would we? Just like bullets against a drug induced homicidal maniac....what good would words do? Voice commands await a response. How many seconds are you willing to wait for a response while you contemplate the response that's necessary? It's only seconds that count. Many have lost their lives in the blink of an eye. How many seconds is a blink of an eye anyway? Less than one. Voice commands are out of my book. When in imminent danger, just simply respond.

They taught us voice commands at Front Sight. But, I don't practice them at home.

I'm not sure how I feel about them, where they fit in tactically...
Exactly. I don't either.

#12 ·
Ram Rod make some good points.

I see them as a method of possibly avoiding the use of lethal force, depending on your inclination. The proviso being that they are used from a position of sufficient advantage that they will not effect the outcome if they are ignored. The Roadside thread was an example of insufficient advantage and I would not have used them in that situation. How do you determine if sufficient advantage exists? Experience, instinct, and an honest evaluation of your own abilities.
For non LE I think that their use would be minimal, other than situations that have not reached a level of lethality.

#13 ·
If you have the opportunity to do so you need to make it very clear that should someone continue pursuing an altercation they will have big big problems.

You have to know how to defuse a situation. Can't just sit there or simply walk away every time or whip out your weapon when you're getting scared.

But if there is an immediate danger and you need to decide whether to pull your weapon or say one last thing to hopefully get them to stop, then you should just be pulling your weapon most likely. The sight of the barrel is their last chance IMO.

#14 ·
I get to practice mine everyday when I'm at work :yup:

#15 · (Edited)
I raised teenagers, I work with teenagers...yes, I have had a lot of practice with my 'command voice'.:image035:

And yes again, I have taken SD pistol classes where commands were part of the training.:ticking:

That said, I'm not a cop, so I doubt that I will be using my 'command voice'...I'm just defending myself:ziplip: and calling 911:smileys21:.

#16 ·
Giving verbal commands can do a couple of things to help the situation.
First by speaking in a loud and firm voice it forces you to breath during a period of stress and helps you deal with the tremendous chemical dump your body has just placed upon you, aka the fight or flight syndrome.
You would be amazed at the number of tactical operators and foreign troops that I have trained that had to be reminded to breathe during an training operation.
Their response to stress was either to hold their breath or breathe so shallow that they were not getting enough oxygen. It is the same as when running in military formations, not only does it motivate the troops, keep you in step but also forces you to breathe in extra oxygen.
Secondly the verbal command draws attention to yourself and the situation. BG has a knife and is advancing you draw and fire, witnesses turn to the sound of the shot and their statement is "I didnt see a knife he just shot him".
You give verbal commands such as "DROP THE KNIFE" "STOP, DONT COME ANY CLOSER" the witnesses now turn and look at you and the situation and the statement can be "He told the guy with the knife to put it down and dont come any closer until that guy was forced to shoot him".
This would also work if the witness was out of sight but not earshot. "I heard him tell the guy to drop the knife and back off but I guess he didnt listen and he had to shoot him".
Whether the command is a simple "NO" or "STOP" or whatever you choose to you it may help in different ways when the time comes.
Just an opinion.

#18 ·
Yes, I practice my voice commands.
While I am in my clown suit, wearing a sam brown, in front of full length mirror.

Seriously now,

Shouting commands as tacman said is a very good idea.

Wittiness's Witness's Witnesses. You can't get enough of them.

Next, yelling at the perp, telling him/her to STOP, or just say NO, while you are holding your weapon, in its holster, or leveled at their COM, may snap him/her out of their intent to do you harm. Hopefully, everyone goes home that night.

Lastly, as tacman said, it will allow you to focus at the situation at hand.

One needs to also remember what to say. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
Doing the dirty Harry routine, sounds great, but is a bad idea. Saying something, like "take one step closer, and I will kill you is a bad idea".
Remember folks, its not about killing, its making the dirt bag stop his/her attack.
Perhaps the perp is a new comer to the USA. He/she does not speak the language. That is why keep it simple will work.
Yelling STOP, or NO, is the only way to go, IMO.

#21 ·
Shouting commands as tacman said is a very good idea.

Wittiness's Witness's Witnesses. You can't get enough of them.

<...>

One needs to also remember what to say. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
Doing the dirty Harry routine, sounds great, but is a bad idea. Saying something, like "take one step closer, and I will kill you is a bad idea".
Remember folks, its not about killing, its making the dirt bag stop his/her attack.
Exactly my thoughts. I'd rather pull a weapon and start yelling "Get the eff away from me!" at the top of my lungs at somebody than having to shoot them - only if they aren't about to attack of course.

#34 ·
Me too,

STOP, DON'T TOUCH THAT, PUT THAT DOWN, DON'T HIT YOUR BROTHER, DON'T SIT ON THE CAT............

#24 ·
If I'm pulling a deadly weapon out of its holster, "words" are the last thing on my mind. So, no.
Lot's of variables here though, liiiiike: If he has a knife and is walking towards me from far away then perhaps that is a "yes", but if he has a knife and is busy stabbing someone over and over again then, that is a nooooooo to ANY verbal mouthing that needs to happen.

I have a commanding voice as well, and can easily be transformed into something along the lines of the drill instructor in the movie "Full Metal Jacket", but I don't "practice" voice commands. It is something I'm just not focusing on doing, at that moment.

Now after the initial BANG BANG BANG....(Up to 14 times/reload/if needed to cease the threat(s)/whatever....), then my smartass would probably, knowing me, at that point, belt out an R Lee Ermey, "How's that feel now, Shitbird!?! Looks ta' me, like that's gonna' leave a friggin' mark huh?!?"

Yes, I amuse myself. Those "prior/active", will get this....:wave:

I think the most important "words" to "practice" come AFTERWARDS.....Including, "I felt like he was going to kill me and my family", et cetera.
1) I was scared for my life
2) Is he going to be ok? (Really? I have to say this? Damn...)
3) I will make a statement as soon as I speak with legal representation.

Or, more like this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1541138791?bclid=1527680698&bctid=16359316001

#25 ·
I practice, "PUT DOWN THE WEAPON" or "STOP". In my CHL class it was highly recommended that we give a verbal warning, something to that effect -- first you have a higher chance of having a witness you are defending yourself; second, you have a higher chance of having a witness you attempted to deescalate the situation.

#26 ·
Not saying you will have time to do anything but draw and fire. If you practice using the commands now they will become habit when you have to use them for real.
Although I know you were kidding comments yelled or stated at those times can come back and bite you in the ass on occasion. Witnessess will probably remember that one smartass comment and nothing else.
As I stated yelling a command forces you to breathe which helps relieve the stress of the situation and helps you focus. Remember you will be dealing with tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, dry mouth, the overwhelming urge to urinate, loss of fine motor skills among other things.
Anything that I am able to do to help me get through these things I will do if I possibly can.
But just an opinion.

#30 ·
I did Military Training, yes I have a loud commanding voice, I don't intend to use it on anyone except to yell medic when it's over with.:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.