Help with judging distance

This is a discussion on Help with judging distance within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am the world's worst at judging distance and given that this is an essential skill at being able to make effective shots, are there ...

Thread: Help with judging distance

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Help with judging distance

I am the world's worst at judging distance and given that this is an essential skill at being able to make effective shots, are there any tips or exercises I can work on to develop this skill so that I will be able to instinctively judge distance and aim accordingly? I'm assuming that ALOT of time at the range will eventually develop this skill over time but is there anything that will decrease the amount of time it takes to learn this skill? At the risk of sounding foolish, I have considered the possibility of getting a range finder and taking it everywhere with me and use it until I can naturally decide distance for myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Grace & Peace.

2. Remove Ads

The range finder is a great way to practice. I picked one up on eBay a few years ago and carried it with me everywhere for a while. Its fun to test yourself and you'll be surprised at how quickly you get the hang of it.

Are you trying to judge distance based on Self Defense needs or based on competitive needs or perhaps hunting needs?

JMO...if it's for self defense purposes, most bad things happen within 21 feet or less. You need to worry less about whether it is a certain amount of feet and worry more on trigger control, and/or seeing the front site, or point shooting drills...Take a professional defensive handgun course taught by a professional or known school...Then, train train train...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Are you trying to judge distance based on Self Defense needs or based on competitive needs or perhaps hunting needs?

JMO...if it's for self defense purposes, most bad things happen within 21 feet or less. You need to worry less about whether it is a certain amount of feet and worry more on trigger control, and/or seeing the front site, or point shooting drills...Take a professional defensive handgun course taught by a professional or known school...Then, train train train...JMO
    My concern is for self defense. Thanks for the advice, I will look into taking classes and training.

Thanks.

Links