adrenaline

adrenaline

This is a discussion on adrenaline within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife will be getting her ccw license soon. She asked me, "OK, I know what gun to shot, ammo to use, how to shoot; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adrenaline

adrenaline

My wife will be getting her ccw license soon. She asked me, "OK, I know what gun to shot, ammo to use, how to shoot; but, when I am approached inside the house, in the car, or on the street, how do I control my adrenaline? What do I do to take control before it's to late?" I didn't have an answer for her because I never was faced with the situation, Thank God. But she's right, what is her control mechanism? Thanks

Training, Training, and MORE Training.

You two should go take a defensive pistol course. They can be expensive but are both fun and informative. They also build confidence in one's ability.

Now, I doubt highly that every single person will be calm and collected in a situation where it becomes necessary to draw your weapon. Even highly trained individuals get the jitters at times. To paraphrase a quote I've heard... "Anyone who says they aint scared is either a liar or dead."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    some competition shooting like idpa raises the excitement and tests the nerves a little also...it might be helpful to get into a local idpa match...its not as competitive as everyone thinks and youll learn a lot from the shooters there...its a good way to help your thinking while shooting and get you out of the square box shooting range thing...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    some competition shooting like idpa raises the excitement and tests the nerves a little also...it might be helpful to get into a local idpa match...its not as competitive as everyone thinks and youll learn a lot from the shooters there...its a good way to help your thinking while shooting and get you out of the square box shooting range thing...
    This!!!

I've also heard people suggest setting the gun on the shooting bench or what ever, move back about a 100 yards then run towards the bench, next pick up the gun and fire. The idea is to get the adrenaline flowing.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I agree re training. There are many suggested methods, such as remembering to breath. Experience definitely helps. What I believe has helped me the most, beside experience, is focus. Focus on what is happening and what you must do. While not easy, try to eliminate thoughts of what might happen to you or others, focus on what you must do. If you can focus enough, it will push these other thoughts out, allowing you to operate at your best.

VIP Member
    As others have said training is the key, when the adrenaline rush of a firefight kicks in then muscle memory takes over.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

it's called "stress innoculation" - you expose yourself to stressful, gun-related situations (hopefully under carefully controlled and safe training scenarios), and learn from your responses.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

really, you dont...nothing is going to replicate your bodily function during a event/attack. You just train the best you can and hope when the moment comes your body responds well enough to keep you alive. Training will help some but each person is different "under fire".

Quote Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
    My wife will be getting her ccw license soon. She asked me, "OK, I know what gun to shot, ammo to use, how to shoot; but, when I am approached inside the house, in the car, or on the street, how do I control my adrenaline? What do I do to take control before it's to late?" I didn't have an answer for her because I never was faced with the situation, Thank God. But she's right, what is her control mechanism? Thanks
    If Adrenaline is funneled to panic, emotions, and uncertainty, there's more of a chance you or someone with you can get hurt/killed.

Having Adrenaline funneled to tactics, discipline, and confidence, your chances of NOT getting killed/hurt increase. Train babe train

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, training! Start sneaking up behind her or jumping n her whaile she's asleep. When she shoves the gun up your nose, she's got it under control!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, training! Start sneaking up behind her or jumping n her whaile she's asleep. When she shoves the gun up your nose, she's got it under control!
    Just make sure you hide her bullets first.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Training, Training, and MORE Training.

You two should go take a defensive pistol course. They can be expensive but are both fun and informative. They also build confidence in one's ability.

Now, I doubt highly that every single person will be calm and collected in a situation where it becomes necessary to draw your weapon. Even highly trained individuals get the jitters at times. To paraphrase a quote I've heard... "Anyone who says they aint scared is either a liar or dead."
    Definitely. Constant training is the only way to deal with it. From my experiences in some fights, close calls, and 1 self-defense shooting, this is what I have experienced in an adrenalized state:
    -auditory exclusion (.40 caliber gunfire sounded like a firecracker
    -loss of fine motor skills (only what you have trained with remains)
    -little or no feeling of pain when hit (got kicked in the head and it felt more like a slap)
    -rapid heartbeat
    -events seem in slow motion although I am going fast
    -tunnel vision (never had it since training prevented it)
    -loss of bowel control (never had that either but depends on the person's ability to deal with it)

cj
    As others mention, training is a good start. I just watched Magpul's "Art of the Dynamic Handgun"...it's not a substitute for a good class, but they do discuss exactly what you're describing (how to handle stressful situations), and I believe it really shows how the class participants shown there evolve in that area with training.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    it's called "stress innoculation" - you expose yourself to stressful, gun-related situations (hopefully under carefully controlled and safe training scenarios), and learn from your responses.
    While training in general, competitive shooting and other things can help, one of the best examples was IIRC by South Narc. Get on the line with a holstered weapon prepared to react on a given signal to draw and fire at a target. Then have 1-3 people behind you yelling at you, MFing you, threatening you, making vile comments about your wife, etc. Then on the signal, draw and fire and hit the target. WHile only a drill it is amazing how effective it is.

A very wise man put it this way:

Build the desire for victory. Eliminate uncertainty. Develop Situational Awareness. Have a willingness to act.

Gabe Suarez, Combative Perspective. I read it after my own little "See the elephant" moment, and the man NAILED it. He spoke directly to me.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links