Rifle Gunfighting Weekend July 9-11 Chattanooga Tn

This is a discussion on Rifle Gunfighting Weekend July 9-11 Chattanooga Tn within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be teaching the Rifle Gunfighting Class on July 10-11 along with a refresher on Friday July 9 for the guys who have never ...

I will be teaching the Rifle Gunfighting Class on July 10-11 along with a refresher on Friday July 9 for the guys who have never had a rifle class before or are a bit rusty.

July 9, 2010
    RIFLE GUNFIGHTING REFRESHER

Chattanooga, Tennessee

This One Day Class will bring students who need a tune up, back up a high level of skill and get them ready for more advanced training. This will include many repetitions and little lecture or discussion. You will spend the day drilling gunhandling and shooting skills with your rifle. This one day seminar will also get guys without prior rifle experience able to attend the Intermediate level classes as long as they have been exposed to tactical shooting with a pistol.
    DURATION: 1 day

PREREQUISITES: NONE

AMMUNITION: Approximately 200 rounds (minimum)

YOU NEED TO BRING: Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellant, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (bandaids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape)

REQUIREMENTS: Any kind of rifle, (3) magazines and any ancillary rifle gear. Pistol, Holster, Pistol Magazines. Eye and Ear Protection.

NOTE: Chest Rig/Tactical Vests are not allowed with CCW Holsters. If you wish to use a Chest Rig or a Tactical Vest, use a vest mounted holster or a thigh holster.

INSTRUCTOR: Randy Harris

To enroll...http://www.suarezinternationalstore....tanoogatn.aspx

And on July 10-11...............

July 10-11, 2010
    RIFLE GUNFIGHTING
    Chattanooga, Tennessee

Rifle confrontations worldwide rarely exceed 25 yards. Rather than a long range marksman's weapon, our research shows the rifle will most likely be used just outside the reach of more conventional weapons, as well as within these closer intervals of confrontation.

This course will take the student quickly through the basics and impart the techniques necessary to deploy the Tactical Rifle, Civilian Carbine, or Submachinegun in a close interval emergency.This course is highly recommended for civilian defenders, military personnel, or police operators (we make no distinction in the material presented).

DURATION: 2 days

PREREQUISITES: NONE

AMMUNITION: Approximately 400 rounds (minimum) and 50 rounds of pistol ammunition YOU NEED TO BRING: Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellant, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (bandaids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape)

ESSENTIAL GEAR: Rifle (Any action or caliber suitable for use within 50 yards), all weapons must be equipped with a sling, also bring a pistol with at least (2) magazines, belt, holster, magazine pouches, rifle ammo pouches,Ear & Eye protection (knee and elbow pads are strongly suggested)

INSTRUCTOR: Randy Harris

To enroll....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....tanoogatn.aspx
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

This one is just a couple of weeks away! Hope to see you there!
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

Still have spots available for both Friday and the Sat/ Sun classes!

Come on out and learn how to use that rifle!
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Hand Luke View Post
    NOTE: Chest Rig/Tactical Vests are not allowed with CCW Holsters. If you wish to use a Chest Rig or a Tactical Vest, use a vest mounted holster or a thigh holster.
    This struck me as being interesting. Care to comment on the thought process here?

Sure. It is about safety.

The issue stems from folks with chest rigs and belt holsters getting into a tug of war with their gear while transitioning from rifle to pistol. If your pistol is on your belt and your chest rig full of pouches is sitting above the holster, you have a pretty good chance of coming into conflict with the chest rig as you draw the pistol. Problem is when people do it quickly and are not careful about trigger finger discipline it opens the door for all kinds of disaster to occur.

So in an effort to eliminate as much drama as possible we require you to either use a drop leg holster with the chest rig or mount the pistol ON the rig so your draw stroke is not impeded by your gear.

There is a reason the drop leg holsters exist. When you are armored up and in full battle rattle it is not easy to draw from a belt holster for most folks. The drop leg (like the safariland 6004) holster gives you an option and mounting it on your vest/chest rig gives you another that do not require you to have to pull the pistol through your gear to get it out.

If you use a bag to carry mags (or pockets or a vest) then the CCW holster is fine. Nothing is impeding the progress of the drawstroke. But we just cannot in good conscience let folks use a set up in class that we know is potentially dangerous for everyone on the line.

In a class full of Delta guys ...sure. But in a class with no real prerequisites that ANYONE can take....not so much.
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Makes sense to me. Now add that most of these folks will use the tacti-cool gear probably...for the class...and that's about it...so, yeah...I can see your point.
    I was just thinking about the guys like me who would be wearing a "shoot me first" vest as it's their daily cover garment and still using their CCW rig as it's their daily carry rig for ease of use and training as they would potentially fight when the training suddenly, and quite unfortunately, became handy.

We have guys show up with their regular CCW gear (IWB holster and untucked shirt) with a spare rifle mag in their back pocket or the 5.11 vest with spare rifle mags in the pockets of the vest. No problems with that and their IWB or belt holster. In fact that probably makes a lot more sense for most people than the chest rig does. Most folks just are not going to "gear up" and put on their armor and chest rig in civilian America. Most are gonna roll with their rifle and stuff a mag or two somewhere or grab a bag with that stuff in it.

We just see safety problems with mixing CCW holsters with chest rigs and or armor.
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

Links