NEWBIE WORKOUT and misc ??

This is a discussion on NEWBIE WORKOUT and misc ?? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello; I just got a Glock 26 and had a few questions. 1) I intend to carry Gold Dot 124 +p's. Should I practice with ...

Thread: NEWBIE WORKOUT and misc ??

Hello; I just got a Glock 26 and had a few questions.
    1) I intend to carry Gold Dot 124 +p's. Should I practice with 124 target ammo or is 115 ok ?
    2) My only place to shoot is an indoor range ; max distance 50'. Any suggestions as to how often to shoot ? What type of "workout" should I do ?
    3) Any general "newbie" tips ? ( I intend to pick up some "pro" ($) training later when I save up some more cash).
    4) This will be a CCW/SD weapon; any opinion on the XS Big Dot sights ?
    Thanks..krly

1. At the distance you are talking about there is virtually no difference in trajectory.

Get a bunch of the carry ammo so you can make sure your particular gun works fine with it.

Then buy ball ammo and make sure the point of aim/point of impact is good as far as windage goes when compared to your carry ammo...I imagine it probably will be but we still want to test it to be sure.....but from my experience, the SHOOTER is generally the problem, not the gun or ammo. Incidentally, the +p 124 GD is an excellent carry load. I used it for several years and practiced with 115 grain ball....

Then FORGET ABOUT WORRYING OVER WHICH AMMO IS BEST . Then shoot the gun A LOT. Get used to it. Make it feel like an extension of your arm. Being able to hit with whatever ammo you use is FAR more important than worrying over which ammo is "best". They all do the same thing.....and that is poke a hole in things. Some poke deeper holes, some poke bigger holes...but ALL they do is poke holes. So we need to be able to direct the gun to make the holes in important structures. That is why practice is important.

2. That is a tough question....can you draw from holster at that particular range or is that against the rules? Can you move? Is there a "rounds per second" rule ? Need to know more about the range.

3. GET TRAINING. Much easier to learn to do things right without the bad habits that often occur from learning on your own. You will save a lot of time if you do not have to go back later and UNlearn bad habits.

4. That is a personal preference kind of thing. Some love'em some hate 'em. The front is too big for my taste but I know guys whose opinion I respect (and whose shooting ability I respect) who do like 'em. And if someone had eye issues and could not see a standard front well, I'd suggest they get the Big Dots.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

First of all, you have a great defensive gun...the Glock-26 is a very dependable weapon and it is easy to conceal.

Now, get yourself into a SD pistol class...you'll learn the correct way to practice. Better yet, get into a 'point shooting' class...it's what you will probably have to do in a Wally World parking lot some day when you least expect it.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Congrats and welcome. As far as your questions, i agree with luke
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Take a "Professional" Defensive Handgun class taught by a "Professional" at a "Professional and Reputable" school/training site. It will be money WELL spent. The Glock 26 is a very reliable weapon and you will grow to love it (at least I did). I am a true believer in the XS Big Dots on a self defense weapon. I have them on my G26 and just today had them put on my G19. Very easy target acquisition. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by KRLY View Post
    1) I intend to carry Gold Dot 124 +p's. Should I practice with 124 target ammo or is 115 ok ?

It's best to practice, mostly, with what you actually carry.

2) My only place to shoot is an indoor range ; max distance 50'. Any suggestions as to how often to shoot ? What type of "workout" should I do ?

As often as posiible. 50', while it may seem far, for most self defensive scaenarios, is still within the realm of defensive usage and longer distances force you to focus on the fundamentals.

3) Any general "newbie" tips ? ( I intend to pick up some "pro" ($) training later when I save up some more cash).

Get the "pro" training as soon as possible so that you don't develop bad habits and have to unlearn them later. The best combination, IMHO, for a new shooter is "pro" training ASAP. It's easier, generally, for a trainer to start "fresh" with a new shooter than an expirienced one in regards to the "introductory" courses.

Some people like them, and they have their uses.

Thanks..krly

You're welcome.
    Biker

Everyone has more than adequately answered your other questions, so let me tackle the "workout" query.

Master the fundamentals before you worry about doing and high speed/low drag carry/HRT moves.

Learn to shoot the gun accurately FIRST. Do that by shooting groups in slow fire until you've reached the capability of the gun, then go all Jack Bauer on it...<g>

When you are competent enough to make accurate shots on demand--it doesn't have to be a 1" group at 25 yards or anything (it should be 3" though!)--and you are confident in making HARD shots, then speed it up.

You need to be comfortable with the controls, and know them by feel. Your trigger control, grip, and correct focus type for the shot being made--those should be sub-conscious by this time.

At that point, practice your draw, reloads, and close, fast shooting. Do multi-target drills, shoot USPSA and IDPA--whatever. But master the fundamentals first, and open every session with at least one drill concentrating on accuracy alone. Put an empty shotshell on the 25 yard berm and make it dance. (Golf balls work too!) THEN go do your speed drills and CCW work.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by KRLY View Post

Defensive ammunition is much more expensive then ball ammo. I would suggest that you run about 50 rounds of your carry ammo through your G26 just to make sure it runs. Then buy yourself a good amount of Wolf or some other cheap ammo. Cheap Ammo = more practice time. I try to run a magazine or two of my carry ammo every 5-6 months just to rotate it out.

Shoot as often as possible. CCW is like insurance. If you don't make your payments you'll lose your insurance. Your payments are training, dry practice, range time, etc. I try to get to the range every week for 100-150 rounds but that is not always possible. I would say twice a month at a minimum.

Draw from the holster everytime and practice the FAST technique (good tactic)

F - FIGHT
    A - ASSESS (did your shots land where you wanted them to, if not make up your shots)
    S - SCAN (361 degree scan, maybe not on the range, but at least look behind you - this is where you make sure you don't have to fight anyone else)
    T - TOP OFF/TAKE COVER/TALK (Reload your gun, talk to bystanders, take cover)

Execute some dot drills - different number of rounds in different circles. If you miss, make them up.
    15-20 FT

Heart Box/Brain Box Drills - multiple round combinations, same thing, if you miss, make them up.
    15-20 FT

One Hand Shooting - 15-20 FT

Off Hand Shooting/Off Hand One Handed - 15-20 FT
    (Both one handed and off hand are necessary in case you get shot and can't use your normal shooting grip/shooting hand)

Malfunction Drills (Type 1, 2, and 3) - get some dummy rounds and load a dummy round into each magazine you shoot, just not the first round or last.

Get to a professional training course ASAP! I would suggest Tactical Response Fighitng Pistol. $400 for two days of intense training centered around Mindset, Tactics, Skill, and Gear (in that order).

Thanks..krly
    Get them - they are second to none for fighting and they are reliable out of 100 yds. They are also night sights. Worth every penny.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Sponsored Links