Defensive Carry banner

Good News / Bad News or Milking and Pushing...Help!

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
I went to the range yesterday with my 1911. I've been having problems shooting low with it but with none of my other pistols (.38 snub, XD40sc, PA-63). I fired 100 rds in 3 to 5 shot groups and find that I am the problem (bad news), but the gun is fine (good news).

Now that I know that I am doing a combination of milking the grip and pushing while firing, how do I fix it? (BTW, this is using a high-grip...right thumb on saftey and left thumb pointing down frame with left hand wrapped around trigger guard.)

It's strange to note that if I start in the holster or at low ready and just fire as soon as the front site indexes on the target, I don't do this. It's only when I slow down and think about the shot that I goof. Even my quick double taps are within an inch or two of the "X."

TIA for your assistance,
Michael

#2 ·
Try loostening the grip pressure with your right hand ( grip squeeze ) and picking up the slack with left hand try to get about 65 to 70% of the sqeeze on the gun from your left hand , using the right to manipulate the pistol and only enough actual grip there to hold the firearm steady . you did not mention what stance you are useing so not much we can reccomend there lol

#3 ·
Stance... "modified Weaver"... wep side foot slightly back...'bout shoulder width apart. Think of a relaxed boxing stance... Arms locked as a unit...but relaxed, not tense.

Oh...one handed shots...dominant and non-dominant sides... were okay. I just need to do a few more curls. What was that recommended weight I saw here on the board... 12 fl. oz?:urla9ub:

Thanks,
Michael

#4 ·
on a modified weaver ( or champman as yours sounds ) it shure sounds like you are " musceling " the gun with your stance , try loostening up a bit ( shoot a bit more relaxed with less dynamic tension ) and the grip change i stated above . Slow way down and watch that front sight till you get the feel of it then bring it back up to speed .. hope that helps

#5 ·
Thanks RR. After my next 400 dry fires, I'll take it back to the range.

Michael

#6 ·
Shooting Low W/ a 1911

Do you have a flat or an arched mainspring housing installed on your 1911??

If it's a flat mainspring housing then the very first thing I would do is install a raised arched housing on your pistol. :yup:

#7 ·
It's flat. Hmmm...arched mainspring housing...that would make the grip profile very much like my XD's... Thanks, QK... I'll look into it.

/jmt

#8 ·
The very reason the arched mainspring housing was developed was to help correct the quite common low shooting problems that some folks seem to have shooting the 1911. Just FYI

It's a very valid thing to "switch out" before you try to alter your natural/normal grip technique in order to accommodate the pistol....much better to attempt to make the pistol accommodate your hand first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.