What does "blading" mean?

This is a discussion on What does "blading" mean? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear this term quite a bit...mostly in le training scenarios. I think I know what it means but, not sure. In my mind, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does "blading" mean?

What does "blading" mean?

I hear this term quite a bit...mostly in le training scenarios.

I think I know what it means but, not sure.

In my mind, I envision side/forward stepping, to my left if the threat has a gun or knife in his right hand, while turning weak side to the threat, as to make my body smaller and less of a target. This is done while simultaniously drawing and firing

Am I even close with this description?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

Cool You are correct....

Good job you are correct.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Partially correct. I use it everyday when I'm working as it doesn't always have to be used when being confronted with a threat. I use it whenever I have contact with someone. Whether that's during a traffic stop, when I'm interviewing a suspect/witness, or just during a casual conversation with a citizen. Always keeping my weak side towards subject/suspect/witness/citizen while keeping a strong base and keeping my hands up.

Field Interview Stance
    The purpose of the field interview stance also known as the field interrogation stance or F.I.
    stance is to give the officer a proactive non-aggressive approach to self-defense. Officers should
    be in a F.I. Stance whenever they are armed and near any member of the public. To assume this
    stance, an officer must blade the trunk of his body with the gun (dominant) side turned away
    from the person addressed. He positions his feet about shoulder width apart, with the knees
    slightly bent to have good balance. The non-dominant leg is forward and the dominant leg back.
    He distributes his body weight equally to allow for quick movement in any direction. He keeps
    his arms close to his sides, his dominant arm’s elbow close to his handgun and his hands near his
    centerline. The non-dominant hand is used for gesturing if necessary. This position keeps the
    officer's firearm farther away from a potential threat.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Thanks guys. Diablo, I see where blading can be used in everyday encounters or with someone you're not quite sure about.

My question was more about the actual footwork and body positioning of this technique when the crap has already hit the fan.

I'm not a leo but, iv'e had defensive pistol classes that have touched on this a bit. I hope as I move on with the training this will be covered but, in the mean time, i'd like to get some training/practice tips here if possible.
    Luis

Mike Tyson

Just remember, for some of us blading puts the wider dimension toward the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just remember, for some of us blading puts the wider dimension toward the opponent.
    And some of us are the same dimension no matter which way we turn round is a shape

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For RBSD, we also blade ourselves sideways when using the de-escalation stance. From that, you can defend with your bare hands, and weapons (less than lethal/lethal).

Lol ok, maybe i'm not being clear. I'm not talking about de-escalating anything.

If you read the third paragraph in my op, you'll see that the decision to fight has been made but, I need to move, draw and fire.

I practice taking a quick explosive step, similar to a lateral shuffle except that it is diagonal and forward in relation to the target while turning or "blading" my body, drawing and firing.

In most cases I think the left leg is the first to move followed by the rest of the body.

Old School thinks I'm on the right track but, i'd like to get more input like, what to do with the left hand if not being used to strike.
    Luis

Mike Tyson

Luis50,
    You might want to take a look at this in regard to blading and lethal response.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...75-post59.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Luis50,
    You might want to take a look at this in regard to blading and lethal response.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...75-post59.html
    Very well written. It paints a pretty clear picture of the movements. Using the off arm inside part of the elbow is clever and pretty natural since the arm will already be there because of the parry.

It's going to take a lot of practice to perfect but, my current practice method isn't much different than this. Thank you sir.
    Luis

Mike Tyson

Cool

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...your-life.html

You seem to be very serious about self defense and lethal encounters. I highly recommend the above book. It was a real eye opener to me when I read it the first time about a year ago.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Blading protects the "Center Line" of the body. There are several areas along the center you don't want hit. Nose, throat, solar plexus, groin just to name a few.

Thanks again guys.

Old School, Thanks for the book recomendation.
    Luis

Mike Tyson

One thing to consider though...blading works better against someone who is trying to strike you in a ranged fight like a boxing match or martial arts sparring....NOT against someone who is crashing into you or tackling you.

If your pelvis is turned (bladed) you cannot resist and absorb impact as well as you can if your hips are squared. Look at wrestlers and football linemen. Do the wrestlers turn sideways to avoid getting taken down? No. If they turn sideways they usually get dumped on the mat. Do football linemen line up in a bladed stance? No because they will get run over.

So be careful about relying on bladed stances. I'm not saying thet they "don't work", what I'm saying is it is so much easier for me to tackle you if you are turned sideways.

Don't believe me? Here is a simple test. Have a friend stand squared to you. Push against him trying to move him. When you and he are sqaured up vs each other it will be hard to move him if he does not want to be moved. But now have him stand bladed and resist you pushing. Suddenly you are going to find it just got easier to move him.

So again if we know FOR SURE that the opponent is not going to try to tackle us then blading may have benefits, but if there is any possibility of him tackling you then you might not want to stay bladed.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Randy,
    I agree that there are weaknesses in a bladed stance, or any static stance in the dynamics of conflict. Stances, like methods, must change to meet current threats. To sprawl from a bladed stance, to meet a tackling attempt, is no more difficult than from a square stance. I believe that the ability to adapt as more important than any specific stance. Would you agree?
    Gloves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links