Front sight training worth the $$??

Front sight training worth the $$??

This is a discussion on Front sight training worth the $$?? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received an email offer to attend any 4 day defensive handgun course for $300. I know that the advertising and membership stuff is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Front sight training worth the $$??

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Question Front sight training worth the $$??

I just received an email offer to attend any 4 day defensive handgun course for $300.

I know that the advertising and membership stuff is kind of "out-there"--I don't care about that. I'm also not looking for rants about Piazza. I can drive there in 14 hours from south-central Montana.

Is the actual training worth it?

thanks!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I highly recommend the 4 day course for $300. It's well worth it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Better yet, go on EBay and search "Front Sight certificates". You can probably find a certificate for the same 4-Day Defensive Handgun class for $100 or so. When you join as a lifetime member, you get these certificates which many people sell cheaply.

BTW, I have been to the handgun (a couple times) and the rifle class and planning to attend the shotgun class this fall. Even at $300, the handgun class is a bargain and training I can recommend.
    NRA Life Member

No. Go train with someone like Brownie, Suarez, or Roger Phillips or others and gets some force on force and point shooting training. Front sight was the biggest waste of money ever.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    No. Go train with someone like Brownie, Suarez, or Roger Phillips or others and gets some force on force and point shooting training. Front sight was the biggest waste of money ever.
    Can you elaborate?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I guess it depends at what level you are now. I have attended the 4-day handgun class 3 times at Front Sight and I am learning more and getting better each time. However, I will admit that I am about ready to move up to the more advanced tactical classes offered by Front Sight.

If you are completely comfortable with your handgun, completely safe with it, and can draw from concealment and put two shots into the thorasic cavity in a second and a half, then the 4-day class might not be that helpful to you. If not, the training is top notch and a lot of fun.

Plus, I doubt you can get Suarez to train you for 4 days for $100.
    NRA Life Member

Ok, it is all hype. Marketing for tacticool people. It is a marketing machine designed to fill classes 40-50 people per class. All standing on a line, not moving, punching paper.

If you are a complete firearm novice then maybe it would help to learn basics but as far as paying that much for training for something you need to bring with you into the real world where targets attack you and you need to move and react, it is worthless IMHO.

If you want to hone your range skills then it is perfect for you. If you shoot competitively and taking a proper stance with proper grip and shooting at a paper target is what you want to do then go for it. But if you want to hone your defensive combat skills, learn to shoot while combining dynamic movement and fluid draw strokes, one handed shooting, not having time to take stances and proper grips, aka REAL world gun fighting skills, if you want to understand what works and what doesn't work when you are being attacked then take a force on force or point shooting course. If you want to excel at standing stationary and hitting bulls-eyes from a perfect stance and two handed grip, then take a front sight course. If you want to learn skills that may keep you alive in a gunfight, look elsewhere.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me and I don't care. Go take your range skills to a force on force class and when attacked take a nice weaver or isosceles stance, two hand your weapon, bring it up to a proper shooting position, and shoot and see what happens. It will open your eyes to as close as real world shooting as you can get. Combine that with point shooting training and you will have the foundation to survive in a gunfight. Stand still and die, move and live.

azchevy,

Some of us obviously aren't as good or as experienced as you are. You are absolutely correct that if you shoot competitively and are already safe, fluent with you draw and clearing malfunctions, and are beyond all of the basics, then the Front Sight 4-day Defensive Handgun class may not teach you anything new. It is still good practice for me and hopefully I'll eventually get to the point where you are and be looking at advanced tactical classes to further my skills.
    NRA Life Member

Scott I noticed you are in Montana you can check out: Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin for Brownies schedule or here is a class put on by Roger Phillips through STI on Montana that i highly recommend: July 17-18, 2010 - Point Shooting Progressions - Bozeman, MT

here is another MT course: August 14-15, 2010 - Force on Force Gunfighting - Belgrade, MT

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    azchevy,

Some of us obviously aren't as good or as experienced as you are. You are absolutely correct that if you shoot competitively and are already safe, fluent with you draw and clearing malfunctions, and are beyond all of the basics, then the Front Sight 4-day Defensive Handgun class may not teach you anything new. It is still good practice for me and hopefully I'll eventually get to the point where you are and be looking at advanced tactical classes to further my skills.
    Then you should take a FoF or Point shooting course, for the same as it would cost at Front Sight and build skills that can save you in a gunfight. It has nothing to do with being good or being experienced and everything to do with taking classes that revolve around real life gunfights and not standing stationary at a range.

You can buy snap caps and practice drawing and malfunction clearing all day long in your own home.

I am just trying to give good solid honest advice to people who carry for defensive purposes. There is range training for marksmanship, competition, and accuracy and there is gunfight training for CCW and real life situations and they are two different animals.

+1 On Brownies class ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I also want to add before everyone who went to Front Sight type courses starts jumping on me, I did the same thing years ago and if I knew then what I knew now, I would have spent my time and money on interactive force on force and point shooting courses after I had mastered the basics of my handgun. I feel it is not worth the money at front sight.I am not bashing your choices at all, just trying to open your eyes to options, options that will better prepare you for an attack, which is why we carry concealed to begin with right? To defend against attacks we pray never happen?
    JD likes this.

I am sure you are correct and I will try some other classes at some point. I still think Front Sight offers great beginner and intermediate training to get you to a point where you are able to safely train for shooting on the move and other more advanced techniques. The 4-day FS class only touches on that with the shoot house (the rifle class includes clearing a canyon).

Chaplain Scott, do a seach on this forum and others and you will find a lot of info and opinions regarding Front Sight training and make up you own mind based on your current skill level.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    An individuals skill level is the key to any training. To some the training at FS is high speed/low drag, after all where can you go to learn to shoot better than a SWAT cop or Navy SEAL? To others is is a basic course in markmanship. Beware places that teach or use only one technique or weapon type there is no magic stance, handgun, bullet or self defense technique that works 100% of the time so you have to have several tools in your toolbox.
    Any training is good training as long as you are challenged to learn and are not bored from the first moment. You must decide what your skill level is and pick the course accordingly.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    +1 Gabe is the best. They understand that everyone doesnt have a AR or a 1911 and train there people with all platforms. I agree with you 100 percent on your advise.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links