Training in Ohio?

This is a discussion on Training in Ohio? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever trained with TDI or know anyone who has? I want to improve and expand upon handgun/ rifle/shotgun skills. Your input is appreciated....

Thread: Training in Ohio?

Training in Ohio?

Has anyone ever trained with TDI or know anyone who has? I want to improve and expand upon handgun/ rifle/shotgun skills. Your input is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

i know many that went, and they also went to the big schools out west, "gunsight" and others.... they said the training was as good or better at TDI...

the way i look at any training is good training is going to better than no training. i also look places that give gun traning or watch tv show to learn because you can never know to much.

I took the Handgun I-III course (3-day) back in the spring of this year at TDI. (This course is a pre-req for several others...). Good owner (John Benner) and quality instructors. Interestingly, several instructors do not have military/LEO backgrounds, so they provided a wide perspective. Class size is around 30-40, but they have about 8-10 instructors for that amount. I thought the class was well positioned and advanced enough; I think anyone regardless of experience could pick up something. First day is half classroom, half basic shooting. Second day is most all shooting, with focus on draw and presentation. Last day involves clearing a shoot-house of "bad guys". Solid technique is taught (modern iso, not Weaver). The facility is plenty large enough, but it's pretty much in the boonies - bring your lunch and full tank of gas. And a large crate of ammo.

I'm headed back in the fall for the "Advanced Concealed Carry" (2-day). I am a believer in training, and I have high regard for TDI.

Administrator
    I've spent plenty of time at TDI, the training is as good or better than anything else you will find anywhere.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've been there several times and highly recommend it. As Hangman94 said above, John Benner is a good owner, he's also a very knowledgeable instructor and pretty darned good shooter too. I would recommend starting with Level I Handgun, even if they have been shooting awhile - it goes through the basics of marksmanship and gun handling, but every successive class builds on what is learned in Level I. The Advanced Concealed Carry class is also excellent, and goes far beyond the minimum training required for a Ohio Concealed Handgun License. Lots of great training with safety as a top priority.

Accommodations are about 20 minutes away, and you can "rough it" at the Comfort Inn, or for a real treat stay at the Murphin Ridge Inn; pricey but excellent food and owned by a great couple.

kpw
    I know a few guys that have been there. They had nothing but good things to say. Thinking about doing a 3 day next year.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    I've taken 2 classes from TDI, the Defensive knife course (1 day LEO version) and the Snubby Revolver course last year. I had scheduled another class this past May but had to cancel due to illness. I asked them to keep the money as a credit toward a future class. They are top notch!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Swordsman View Post
    I've taken 2 classes from TDI, the Defensive knife course (1 day LEO version) and the Snubby Revolver course last year. I had scheduled another class this past May but had to cancel due to illness. I asked them to keep the money as a credit toward a future class. They are top notch!!
    The knife class is something else. I had some fun with that too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've taken the handgun 1-3 and the advanced concealed carry. They were both excellent and well worth the trip. I would recommend them to anyone who is thinking about firearm training.

I think the next class I'm going to take will be the Extreme Close Quarter class.

Links