50 yard head shot - Page 2

50 yard head shot

This is a discussion on 50 yard head shot within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your talking about a non moving target versus a target that is not perfectly stationary,the AF cop who shot the guy at 70 yards hit ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 50 yard head shot

Your talking about a non moving target versus a target that is not perfectly stationary,the AF cop who shot the guy at 70 yards hit 50% of his shots,I was a USAF Security Policeman and we never trained for 70 yard pistol shots,max pistol shots were 25 yards,we shot 100 rounds every 6 months and aimed for COM,headshots were taboo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Lets not forget that at target that stands still is not the same as a target the moves and never stays in one spot for more than a few seconds.

It sure not the same as target that moves toward you and shoots back.

Some people are getting confused. Propping up a pistol and getting head shots on a target at 50 yards in not that big of a deal for a competent shooter. Just because one can accomplish that fairly often does not mean that it should be tried on a person.

but I would say less than 5 percent of the members of this forum could make a 50 yard head shot with a semi-auto sidearm with iron sights even off a rest with 5 tries at it.
    This is a gun forum populated with gun enthusiasts. I'd be willing to be that your assumption is a bit on the low side.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    This is a gun forum populated with gun enthusiasts. I'd be willing to be that your assumption is a bit on the low side.
    HotGuns is right. My Suarez trainer set this up with the hostage-holding BG target. Every shooter before me made the head shot.
    I've got big dots on the front and wouldn't try it in real life. And I was using reloads. And the sun was at an angle. And....
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Your talking about a non moving target versus a target that is not perfectly stationary,the AF cop who shot the guy at 70 yards hit 50% of his shots,I was a USAF Security Policeman and we never trained for 70 yard pistol shots,max pistol shots were 25 yards,we shot 100 rounds every 6 months and aimed for COM,headshots were taboo
    Sounds like Andy Brown got some extra training?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Iceman, below is the Speer Gold Dot ballistics for a standard pressure 9mm 124grain cartridge. So you're in error regarding the capability of the round. Most quality pistols will hold a sub 5 inch group at 50 yards, so the tool can do its part if the shooter does his (her) part. Additionally, your definition of training is inaccurate. We used to be awoken to do push ups and jumping jacks at 0430. Were we training to stop the enemy by push upping them to death? No...of course not. We were training our physical abilities, much the same way that training your marksmanship skills to hit a head sized target at 50 yards doesn't mean I expect to take a head shot at 50 yards. Rather, it's one of many ways to improve skills, and lest you forget, most here will never shoot their weapon at a live target, but they train to do so, because they train to expect the unexpected. But practicing at 50 yards (which is a small part of my routine), makes a 10 yard shot feel so close, it's easy to empty 18 rounds at that distance in 4 - 5 seconds in a 6 inch head sized target.

Velocity(in feet per second) Energy (in foot pounds)
    Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards
    1150 1039 963 364 297 255

Trajectory if sighted at 25 yards test Barrel Length in inches
    25 yards 0.0
    50 yards -0.9
    75 yards -3.9

By the way, I don't find it an easy shot as some others may. I average 50% with my Glock 19/combat sights. I suspect better sights (target sights) would increase that.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Lets at least hope so.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I like shooting steel plates that are about head size at distances up to 40ish yards. don't hit it every time but enough to make me smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Sounds like Andy Brown got some extra training?
    Or he got lucky was shooting COM and hit the guiy in the head,the 2 rounds that missed went somewhere,had he killed an innocent bystander then what,if it was you or me we would be going to prison.You wanta take a 70 yard headshot be my guest,theres nothing in Texas Law that says I have to get involved
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There was also a state trooper that took out a guy, armed with a scoped rifle, at 70 yds using a 10mm Glock.

I can hit a steel popper at 100 yds, offhand with stock sights, and know quite a few others who can as well, I'll assume anyone shooting at me can do the same and will respond accordingly.

I've never tried a shot like that. I'll give it a try next time I'm out shooting.

They train for headshots? Do they train for any old place on the head, or a hostage type?

I'd rather have a rifle for that,
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'd rather have a rifle too.
    The ability to make a 50 yard shot expands the circle of control, whether it be a hostage situation or to keep an aggressor away from a person you're charged to protect.
    To make a point, a parent takes 2 children to the park. The younger child (3) is on the swing, the parent is pushing the swing. The older child (5), is on the jungle gym, 50 yards away. A stranger who initially appears to be another parent, grabs the older child, the parent sees it, and the child breaks away. This is a momentary separation, as the assailant is only feet from the child, and the parent is still 50 yards away, as this transpires in the blink of an eye. The ability to make a shot that would prevent a child from being snatched seems like good enough reason to train at that distance.
    Iceman...???

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    I read it and I still think that a 50 yard head shot is mall ninja stuff that would land you in prison even if you could pull it off. If you are a civilian training for the unexpected, you should train for shooting the bomb detonator button pushing thumb off of terrorists too. Like I said, playing with guns (aka: target shooting at stationary objects) is much different than training for real life situations. Competitive shooters train for their competitions, not making head shots on humans at 50yds. If you want to train for the unexpcted, train for shooting in weird positions and with your weak hand hand. 50 yards is civilian run away distance. If you want to talk about precision marksmanship, I am all ears. We have a steel target out at 100 yards, and the guy who can ring it first gets a free box of shells from the other participants. Marksmanship yes, training no.

As far as your scenerio, A BG would have a hard time running with an older child in tow. Iceman would do the 50 yard dash tackle, and draw if he saw a weapon before he got there. A park is a bad place for trick shooting, you would feel awful bad if that bullet ended up in someone elses child. If you took that shot, and killed the person, you would rot in prison guaranteed.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I shoot at 7 yrds, 25 yrds, 50-60 yrds, sometimes 75 yrds, and I shoot at 100 yrds at times.... the 100 yrds is more to see how well I do or don't do at it that day. Sometimes do great and sometimes I don't do as well. Up to about 70 yrds I'm fine I'm on. I don't use 'rests', etc. as I'm not going to happen to be carrying one along.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links