50 yard head shot

This is a discussion on 50 yard head shot within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns You are assuming that you have a center of mass shot. If you are in a mall or a church or ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 50 yard head shot

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You are assuming that you have a center of mass shot.

If you are in a mall or a church or whatever and someone is just shooting everyone in sight, it would be prudent to take whatever shot you had.

Anyone that has ever been in a military firefight will tell you that the targets can be mighty small and fleeting.

What if some Al Queda thugs showed up in a mall and started shooting just to make a statement? All of a sudden that 50 yards shot doesnt seem so far fetched. You have every right to shoot. They are trained and shooting from concealment or cover.

You see one shooting indiscriminatly at everyone that moves. He his using a fountain for cover and all you see is his head. You wont shoot because you think it is a wasted shot, yet all the time people are dropping like flies.

Fifty yards isnt that far. Air Marshals train for it. Think about it. A large jet can easily be 50 yards long and all you have are heads to look at. It can be done.

Think any active shooter scenario. A school for instance. Fifty yards can become awfully close.
    So much training so little time.. I have to agree with your statement. 50 yards is not that far away.

2. Remove Ads

Didn't know of any agency or entity training for head shots other than snipers
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Some friends and I were making 50 yard mannequin head shots with an FN FiveSeven last week. Now....could I do it over and over...NO. But we were hitting it 5-8 times out of a 20 round mag. It was a life sized mannequin head on a post set at about 6ft. off the ground.

FYI....for those of you who go to a "Salon" as opposed to a barber shop...maybe your wives do too.....ask your "stylist" to get you a head or two. They usually have a bag of them from when they were learning and most have had a few haircuts and no longer have a use to them. I get one from a guy about once a month...they are fantastic targets. The rubber skin just closes up and leaves a little mark. We can usually blast one with around 600-800 rounds before you just want to finish it off with the buckshot. Bet your paper targets don't last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by SenileDavid View Post
    Didn't know of any agency or entity training for head shots other than snipers
    Yeah, but what about the zombies.... have to shoot them through the eye sockets, if I recall correctly..... so forget the headshots.... we need eye-socket shots at 50 yds :]

SenileDavid: Which agency training manuals and qualification requirements have you reviewed???
    Alchemist: Nice. I like the eye shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    If making long distance shots in training makes your short distance self defense shooting even more accurate and easy how is it not beneficial to train at longer distances?
    Because you can do the same thing with a smaller dot.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have a gong I set up at 50 yards about the size of a head, somedays I can get 7 out 10 with my 226 from the draw and other days 3 out of 10.

Yes you can train with a smaller target at a shorter range. It doesn't train the identical skill sets, but it's good training nonetheless.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links