50 yard head shot

This is a discussion on 50 yard head shot within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that works for a government agency. He tells me they train to make 50 yard head shots. Do you train for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 50 yard head shot

50 yard head shot

I have a friend that works for a government agency. He tells me they train to make 50 yard head shots.
    Do you train for 50 yard head shots?
    What are your success rates?

2. Remove Ads

Not without a rifle. Com yes, head no.

With a rifle it is a breeze. By the way, a 50yd head shot is murder in 99% of self defence situations. A 50 yard shot is poke and hope with a pistol for all but the most talented and experienced shooters. I may be able to hit center of mass at 50 yards, but a pistol round has also lost allot of energy at that range.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

No, I do not train for 50 yard head shots, nor 50 yard CoM shots either. If I have a 50 yard 'notice' of possible trouble, I'm outta' there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I go out to 100 on the B27 silhouette. With a good rest and accurate pistol, one would be amazed at what one could do if they tried. Holding the top of the sights even with the shoulders of the silhoutte drops then right in the COM. Sucess rate? More often that not. Would I try it? Only in extreme cirucmstances.One would be a fool to try it if he had a rifle close by.

I dont do headhots at 50 yards with a rifle because there isnt much point to it. With a rest, I can hit a 9inch (about the size of a head) gong at 600 yards until I get bored of doing it. I'll do that with the .308,300 WinMag and .50 BMG. I usually go through around 1000 rounds per year doing just that.

Its all about practice and technique and once you are dialed in its really not that big of a deal.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote:

"With a rifle it is a breeze. By the way, a 50yd head shot is murder in 99% of self defence situations. A 50 yard shot is poke and hope with a pistol for all but the most talented and experienced shooters. I may be able to hit center of mass at 50 yards, but a pistol round has also lost allot of energy at that range."

I didn't ask who shoots people at that distance, I asked who trains on targets at that distance. FYI, at 50 yards, most hand gun cartridges still are moving close to 1000 fps, have 300 ft/lbs of energy, and the drop off zero is around an inch. So the weapon/projectile's capability of making that shot is a non issue...they're almost all definitely capable of it. This section of the forum is about training, and I'm just curious about the level of diligence in member training.

For me, I train on 50 yard head shots 68 rounds monthly, have been for a long time, and it's still a difficult shot. I've found that by training at distance, my in close accuracy is much better.
    Last edited by carguy2244; July 18th, 2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Only for elephant.

For me, 25 feet is the max I train for that kind of accuracy. After about 50 feet it's "run away" time.

Senior Moderator
    At 50 and over the basics really become important. Any defiencies there will certainly be noticed.

The lack of fine sights on handguns are an issue. The trick is the sight the gun at that range and hold at the same point on the target.

I used the top of the shoulders of the B27 and settle the top of my sights even with the shoulders.With a good hold and good sight/trigger discipline its not hard to do and it can be quite fun when you are in the zone. I've won a lot of steak dinners over the years that way.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The word "training" says that you are preparing yourself for a real world situation. If you are "training", it tells me that you are anticipating the need to take a head shot at 50 yards. There is a big difference between training and playing with your gun. You sir, are playing with your gun. There is nothing wrong with playing with guns, it is fun. I play with mine all the time. I do not pretend that playing with my gun is making me some sort of super CIA sleeper agent though, it is just for fun. If you are "training" to take a 50 yard head shot, you are "training" to spent the rest of you life in prison.

You better check you ballistics tables, most pistol rounds only have a muzze of around 1000 ft per second.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I train at 25 yards at the most! Usually I train at 7-10 yards, that is about as close as I want a perceived threat. At that distance, I will have at least 3 in the BG by the time they reach me...and they wont be able to do much with that much HP lead in them, if they are still moving!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Senior Moderator
    On 20 June 1994, Air Force police office Andy Brown shot and killed Dean Mellberg during a mass shooting incident at Fairchild Air Force Base. Senior Airman Brown engaged the suspect at a range of over 70 yards with his M9, firing 4 rounds and achieving 2 hits, including a head shot that ended Mellberg's shooting spree.

You never know. Is it likely we would ever have to engage someone like that? I'd say it's very unlikely. But there it is.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    You better check you ballistics tables, most pistol rounds only have a muzze of around 1000 ft per second.
    While that may be true in many cases it is by no means absolute.
    Here is a popular Speer 9mm 124g +p ballistic chart. It still exceed 1000fps at 50yds, 75 yds and just shy of 1000fps at 100 yds.

http://le.atk.com/ballistics/speer/d...3617&firearm=2

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    I have a friend that works for a government agency. He tells me they train to make 50 yard head shots.
    What are your success rates?
    If you are talking with a handgun that BS. Can it be done and has it been done, sure, but I would say less than 5 percent of the members of this forum could make a 50 yard head shot with a semi-auto sidearm with iron sights even off a rest with 5 tries at it.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I've done it before at the range, but under stress, I wouldn't have a chance.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    Only on Call of Duty! lol
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links