Temporary outdoor range

Temporary outdoor range

This is a discussion on Temporary outdoor range within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I was given the best birthday present ever yesterday. A friend is going to let me do some shooting on his land. My wife ...

Thread: Temporary outdoor range

Temporary outdoor range

Hi,

I was given the best birthday present ever yesterday. A friend is going to let me do some shooting on his land. My wife picked up a bunch of clay pottery stuff that we can blow to smithereens.

I wanted your input on the best way to set up a temporary outdoor range. Couple of specific questions:

Do I need more than an earthen backstop - we will be shooting into a dirt cliff.
    .22 and .45 handguns, maybe a Mauser too.

Do I need to alert the neighbors? There are two houses about a mile away with woods in between. We will be shooting the opposite direction, but they will probably hear us. Local law says no, but not everybody plays like that.

Do you rope off the range or just enforce a do not cross line?

Thanks!
    tm

Dirt cliff should be fine as long as it's tall enough and you are sure you won't ricochet over the top. I would not alert the neighbors unless you think they'd like to join you. I highly recommend you contact the sheriff of the county you will be in and ask if it'd be alright. Every one I've talked to has been super. They just want to make sure you have a sufficient back stop and are not shooting toward houses. If the sheriff gets called they will usually come out and make sure your doing right and then wave and leave.

As to roping off the range, how may people are going to be shooting? If you have several then maybe but you shouldn't have to. If you're shooting in a traffic area then you may want to flag it or rope it.

Where are you at in NC?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    As said before me, best you contact law enforcement (state and local) and understand what you can and cannot do, even on private rural land--will save you a lot of trouble and potential penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    As said before me, best you contact law enforcement (state and local) and understand what you can and cannot do, even on private rural land--will save you a lot of trouble and potential penalties.
    Don't take this wrong-----but jeeze, y'all need to move West! Has it gotten that bad?

If so, I am sorry for you good folks!

I don't make a habit of it, but I live IN TOWN, and yesterday shot off 4 or 5 .22's in my yard, just to check a revolver. I wouldn't do much more than that, outta respect for the neighbors, but no big deal either.

If it's lawful and you're doing it in a safe manner, fire away.

I shoot in my backyard all the time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

earth backstop is fine if its tall and thick enough. dirt cliff sounds fine.
    alerting neighbors is up to you. if its rural, i wouldnt think anyone would think twice about it, but depends on the area.
    roping off is also up to you. if you are worried about people wondering around back there, then a rope or just a bunch of private property keep off kinda signs wont hurt any thats for sure.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Sounds like you will be fine.

Wow, if everyone around here called the sheriffs office before they fired off some rounds, the sheriffs office would be highly pissed.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Sounds like you will be fine.

Wow, if everyone around here called the sheriffs office before they fired off some rounds, the sheriffs office would be highly pissed.
    Let me clarify, I do not call every time I go to shoot, only before the first time at a new location. This has proven to be a good practice and I see no problem in getting the blessing of the local SO to avoid the dangerous practice calls in the future. It has paid off several time for me when the deputy waves as they go by.

VIP Member

Thumbs up Related experence...

from NOVA:

xxxx live in Gainesville adjacent to but not in an HOA community and were being harassed by a member of an HOA, who is also a lawyer, who lived adjacent to their property (they are living on 60 acres). The lawyer was constantly calling the police complaining about gun shots.

The lawyer finally made so many complaints and threats against the county, police and anybody else he could think of that a formal investigation was launched by the County Attorney in conjunction with the Zoning Board.

I took decibel readings once at the edge of the individual's property, bordering the HOA property. The readings were far below the "objectionable" level. Then a zoning board rep came out and she and xxxx went to the lawyer's street and took readings, which were even lower.

The County issued it's findings yesterday, in a 7 page report.

Bottom line, the xxxx have broken no County ordinances and are completely within their rights to fire away!

This ruling has multiple implications since the wording in the county code is the same for two surrounding counties (it seems to have been written by the same company or person). Had the ruling gone against the xxxx it would have forced a land owner to obtain a special use permit if he wanted to set up any target for firearms, bow and arrow or just about anything that fired any projectile. This would have led to a court challenge and could have led to similar rulings in the surrounding counties.

Now, if the lawyer/HOA wants to challenge the ruling by the zoning board, the County Attorney is bound to defend it and has said he will defend the ruling.

Hopefully this will put an end to it all.

for this round.

However, the fight never ends.

Join your local RKBA Grass-roots organization and help keep freedom alive.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Update:

Had a great afternoon of plinking on Friday. If you can call breaking lots of ceramic and glass figurines with a .45 'plinking'. It was loads of fun. The range area is super safe with a nice backstop. We set up a table for the targets and blasted away for a few hours. I appreciate all of your input on this one! tm

Links