Progression stalled & not sure how to get it moving again

This is a discussion on Progression stalled & not sure how to get it moving again within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Zell959 ... my current [lack of] progress with shooting & shooting related skills. I feel sort of stagnet in terms of improvement ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progression stalled & not sure how to get it moving again

Quote Originally Posted by Zell959 View Post
    ... my current [lack of] progress with shooting & shooting related skills.

I feel sort of stagnet in terms of improvement when shooting at my usual range & speed (7-12 yards, 40-60 rds/min). Under those parameters, I'm pretty consistantly managing to keep each shot of a 15 rd magazine within a fist sized group that usually includes one or two 3-5 shot strings tied into a single ragged hole.
    At 10-15yds, a "fist-sized" raggedy hole after a session of shooting is fairly decent accuracy, unless you're taking your time to nail each shot one-by-one. It's hard to call that a plateau or failure to improve, in my book.

Ditto on the suggestion to go after two or three different formalized training courses. Pick a good instructor at a well-respected establishment within a day's drive of you. Schedule a couple of the one-day defensive pistol type courses. Or, check with your sheriff to see if any of the deputies are available for training sessions for citizens. If you find a good teacher who really knows defensive tactics, you can learn quite a bit in a day or two. Beyond simple targeting of paper, you sound like you're ready to begin managing your movement, getting off the "X" (so that you're not a target waiting to be struck), and things like weapons retention. In practice, on the street it's these things that can really save your bacon. Time to go after these skills.

If you've got a bit of cash, you might consider taking the four-day Massad Ayoob course on the use of deadly force. It consists of two days of classroom discussion and two days of life-fire range work. Essentially, it's the book In The Gravest Extreme come to life. In September, there are courses coming up in CT and PA. Highly recommended.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Let me suggest goingto massadayoobgroup.com and seeing where Mas is giving a mAG40 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The continued endeavor for improvement in a given area often produces plateaus befor achieving elevation to the next level. Evaluation and continued effort will usually provide the desired rise.
    These are good words of wisdom.

I haven't reached a plateau myself in regards to shooting but I have experienced this in other learning efforts.

When I was a kid I started playing guitar and almost gave up when my steady improvement during the onset of playing died off. My learning curve leveled off. I almost gave up actually, but after coming back and reflecting on my problems I was able to move past things that were holding up progression. I experience this in my IT work on an almost monthly basis as well. You get to a certain point where to keep learning effectively you need to go outside of teaching yourself too.

I think this applies to all things in life after experiencing it time and time again. This has helped me to take set backs or slow downs in stride and not expect it to be a steady climb.

if accuracy is what you want to work on, get a good bullseye manual. practicing breathing is by far the most important thing
    That's good advice. Work on breath control, and for more info consider The Mechanics Of X-Count Shooting by Charles Stephens.

Also look into competition events like IPSC and IDPA. These are not as intense as one of Brownie's Sightless Point Shooting clinics, but they can help with teaching additional skills like taking cover, firing from different positions, target discrimination and acquisition, and performance under stress.

In the pursuit of any skill, when you reach a plateau, sometimes it helps to just take a break for a while, then come back at it fresh.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

You did the best thing, asking for direction and you got a bunch of good tips.

The only thing nobody else mentioned is some IPSC type sporting groups, you learn allot of gun handling, stress fire, target id's, there are thousands of different situations that you can run into in this SPORT shooting event, don't let anyone tell you it's not worth the time and effort to learn some other things that could someday help you out in a bad situation. And this type of shooting event is much cheaper than the pro training that some advised, BTW, I'm retired Military and was a Leo. Got to learn some things here, but guess who the top shooter was (in my Police dept) because of my IPSC shooting experience. And no this Sport shooting event does not always portray real world shoot issues, but it's about as close as you can get for cheap fun and gaining a bunch of sobering experience.
    I'm sure you have heard of hogans alleys, shoot no shoot moving targets, these things do get your blood pressure up and when you learn how to survive this training situation, well this is a real as it gets in the sport training world. Just hope you never really have to pull a handgun for SD. But being prepared is fantastic, what's that Boy scout saying, be prepared.
    The different shooting scenes used will all teach you things about your self, your gun, and with time, some things about gun handling will become 2nd nature, you can do it without thinking, and none of this is standing still shooting at a paper target, you shoot targets that fall down, clank/ clang/ boom, action targets.
    I hope I didn't confuse you. When I was active in this sport I was a high score C moving towards the B class level, then got transferred to another hole in the wall duty station with no guns allowed other than my trusty 1911 or M9 and M16.

Regards

Duane USN/ret

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The continued endeavor for improvement in a given area often produces plateaus befor achieving elevation to the next level. Evaluation and continued effort will usually provide the desired rise.
    You will always have plateaus in improvement. Realize that you've plateaued and take it as a sign that your mind and body are assimilating and consolidating the gains you've made. It's not a bad thing in reality! Allow it to happen for a bit and then change up your routine some so that you can continue to progress.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The only thing nobody else mentioned is some IPSC type sporting groups
    Ha ha. Check comment #19, the one right before yours!
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    What you need to do is take a properly structured FOF course so that you can find out exactly what you should really be working on. Right now you are just target shooting and that has very little to do with self defense. Look for a Suarez International FOF course and your world will never be the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links