Point-shooting video I promised to take...

This is a discussion on Point-shooting video I promised to take... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you meant to say that top shooters often (if they can get away with it according to a particular stage) focus on the target ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Point-shooting video I promised to take...

Sponsor
    If you meant to say that top shooters often (if they can get away with it according to a particular stage) focus on the target - or no focus at all just total feeling- instead of the front sight focus, I know what we talking about.]

Thats what I was talking about sir.

If you want to see hip shooting from a random buzzer, you can at this link in the first thread titled "Brownies .43 second draw" if you are member.

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...read.php?t=129

It is one COM hit at 8 feet from a kydex OWB rig with a new Glock 17 that day. It took me 10-12 tries to get that time. The first run on the clip was .46 seconds to hit COM and it got faster from there. Not being familiar with timers, I had problems with response to same or else the COM hit would likely have been in the 3/10ths of a second and change range.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

its not a shot timer...I use a kitchen timer. I just randomly turn it for a few second's delay.

I use the buzzer as a replacement for a 'threat starter'. Meaning that when the buzzer sounds, I imagine the BG attempting to draw a weapon.

And by 'point-shooting' I am not referring to 'threat-focused' shooting. I am talking about point shooting from the holster.

Most people when they draw, keep the muzzle pointed downward until the gun is up. Instead of doing this, I immedately point the muzzle of my gun at my target and fire. Then as the gun is halfway up, I fire a second round...then a third once the gun is at full draw. All further shots at the target and at the other targets are made using semi-aimed shots.

Sponsor
    CrashVector:

I understood what you were talking about. Looking forward to your video clip sir.

The Hun:

Did you get a chance to look at the video of the .43 second draw and first shot on the threat from the timer buzzer I supplied the link to here?

I use both threat foucsed below line of sight without looking at the gun, elbow up/elbow down from the hip as the gun clears the holster and sighted fire.

They are used within their optimum operating parameters based on time restraints and distance to the threat. Lots of tools in the trick bag at my disposal. Though you won't see it in competitions, the EU/ED is super quick on threats with a/b zone hits. I'll take em all day long and not miss out to 10 feet from the hip. Inside that distance, there's no need to ever bring the gun to close to eye level, nor will you likely have the time to do so if you are behind the reactionary curve.

Which is faster? The technique that is the shortest movement to fire on thread, of course.

Brownie

CrashVector,

You have me intrigued by your technique. I am really looking forward to the video. So I am clear,

Originally Posted by CrashVector
    I can usually go from buzzer to 3rd shot in well under 2.5 seconds.....but being fast about it doesnt really matter if you cant hit your target.
    Is 2.5 seconds an estimate? How are you measuring your time if not with a timer?

Originally Posted by CrashVector
    2. Accuracy limited to 6-inch groups @ 15 meters, 4 inches at 10 meters, and 3 inches at 7 meters. Anything outside this parameter is counted as a miss.
    I took this to mean that the group consisting of the shot fired immediately upon removal of your pistol from the holster, the shot fired when the weapon is half-way up and the sighted shot meets the aforementioned accuracy standard. Is this correct? If not, what degree of accuracy are you achieving with the first three shots?

Thanks and again, I am looking forward to the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    CrashVector,

You have me intrigued by your technique. I am really looking forward to the video. So I am clear,

Is 2.5 seconds an estimate? How are you measuring your time if not with a timer?

I took this to mean that the group consisting of the shot fired immediately upon removal of your pistol from the holster, the shot fired when the weapon is half-way up and the sighted shot meets the aforementioned accuracy standard. Is this correct? If not, what degree of accuracy are you achieving with the first three shots?

Thanks and again, I am looking forward to the video.

6inch group for the first 3 shots.

Timing is my wife using her Casio Sports watch.

I am once again going to the range Sunday. Come rain or shine I will take video. If it's raining, I wont be able to video the point-shooting as I limit myself as far as range goes to 15 meters tops.

In order to do that, I have to walk out from the benches onto the actual range. If it's raining, I can still shoot...just not using my standard method due to the fact that my camera isn't waterproof...and i don't like the idea of shooting my pistol in the rain.

Hot barrel+Rain = temper loss. (temper as in the metal temper)

But I will do my best.

Assistant Administrator
    Here's hoping the rain will back off!!

We have had so much there must be a break - even if brief! Good luck!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsor
    CrashVector:

I don't think your barrel will ever get hot enough to worry about losing it's temper in the rain

The barrel may have to get to a cherry red to lose any temper, not likely to happen as the rounds would cook off in the gun before that.

Brownie

CrashVector,

I hope you don't take these posts as hijacking your thread...we are just discussing techniques mentioned in this thread.
    I'm one of those who can't wait to see your video.
    I like good shooting videos. (I wish I could find somebody to film me.)
    Your stop watch method of measuring strings -brand new timers can be bought around $120, I seen a used recently for sale for $80 - you clip it on your belt and no more guess work.

I never forget the feeling when I got the timer and it showed that I did my Bill Drill under 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr

The Hun:

Did you get a chance to look at the video of the .43 second draw and first shot on the threat from the timer buzzer I supplied the link to here?
    Excellent shooting sir.
    Last edited by TheHun; June 30th, 2006 at 02:55 AM.

Sponsor
    CrashVector,

I have had the same feeling expressed by The Hun where hijacking the thread is concerned. If it has taken that appearance I apologize, it was not the intent to do so.

In fact, I'm very much looking forward to the video clip you can capture for us. As you are surely aware by now, it's what I'm "into" as they say.

The Hun;

Thanks, but I'm not happy till I get into the 3's now.

Brownie

Administrator

Wink

I have not read anything in this thread that I would consider to be a HiJack of the thread.
    All follow~up posts seem to be somehow related to the vid that we have all not seen yet.

Did I give the impression that I thought someone was hijacking the thread? I didn't read anything that seemed to be a hijack....

If I came across that way, I appologize, but I didn't think anyone threadjacked me..lol

I like good shooting vids, too. Don't expect much from ME however. It's just a little digital camera that can take short video clips afterall..lol

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I have not read anything in this thread that I would consider to be a HiJack of the thread.
    All follow~up posts seem to be somehow related to the vid that we have all not seen yet.

blame the weather...not me..lol

I'm been MORE than anxious to take the vids and maybe actuall have a little fun...but the weather hasn't cooperated lately.

They're forecasting a 50% for Sat and Sunday and Monday here. Even if I only get 5 min without rain, I'll have a few vids....rain or shine.

Sponsor
    CrashVector;

Where to hell do you live? The rain forest or thereabouts?

Damned lot of rain I'd say. I know parts of the country are getting hammered but there has to be a break in the weather eventually.

Meanwhile, out here in the "Valley of the Sun", we are enjoying 110-115 degree days, fair humidity levels and sunshine
    The monsoons are here, but it only rains for 1/2 hour once in awhile during the "season".

Looking forward to seeing lots of "green" fauna in the vid from all the rain.

Brownie

South Louisiana here.

Lots of green FLORA 'round these parts..lol

Sponsor
    I was in that area just once during a defensive knife course with Jimmy Keating in the Crescent city for three days.

The "local boys" took me to a real voodoo wedding officianated by the high priestest of New Orleans herself [ Priestest Miriam ]. For a northen boy, it was one of the highlights of visiting the deep south, and one I'll obviously never forget.

Now hope for some good weather and lets talk about that video when you can get to it

Brownie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links