Point-shooting video I promised to take...

This is a discussion on Point-shooting video I promised to take... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I promised P-95 that I would take video of my version of point-shooting where I use the technique for the first two rounds fired, then ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point-shooting video I promised to take...

I promised P-95 that I would take video of my version of point-shooting where I use the technique for the first two rounds fired, then switch to aimed fire for all subsequent shots.

I haven't forgotten about it....and I actually went to the range twice with the video camera to take the video. As dry as it has been, BOTH times I have gone, it was POURING rain...and more rain is forecast for both Sat and Sun.

I will be going BACK to the range Sunday to try again.

My technique is this:

I draw to a buzzer set to go off at a random time. As soon as my pistol clears the holster, I fire the first round using point-shooting. As the gun is in mid-draw, I fire a second shot also using point-shooting. I fire the third round at the target once the gun is fully drawn, and for that shot, I use aimed fire.

I continue to use aimed fire on all subsequent targets until I have run through my multiple target drill.

I use point shooting to get off two shots as quickly as possible, then use more accurate aimed fire once I have the gun at full draw. This way, I can maybe beat the BG by being the first to score a solid hit.

Even though I only use it for the first two rounds, point shooting comprises most of my practice time, as I feel the first shots fired are the most important in a real-life confrontation with an armed assailant.

I personally feel that if one waits until the gun is fully drawn, then there is a missed opportunity to score a hit, and the longer it takes for you to fire a shot and hit your target, the more opportunity your assailant has to fire the first shot and possibly score a hit on YOU.

Probably 80 out of every 100 rounds I fire with my carry gun are shot practicing point shooting. I practice by loading a full magazine, then using the buzzer to draw and fire a single shot from the hip. Then I decock my pistol, reholster it, and do it again. That way, I get practice on both getting the gun out of the holster as quickly as possible AND point shooting for a very fast, accurate first shot.

Again, I will take video if it is not raining Sunday and will post a link so that everyone can see what I'm talking about.

I can usually go from buzzer to 3rd shot in well under 2.5 seconds.....but being fast about it doesnt really matter if you cant hit your target.

Assistant Administrator
    Crash - amazing eh re that rain - Murphy again!! You must be either up my region or South East - we have a darned near stationary system being a total PITA right now.

Look fwd anyways to what you can manage to vid when time and weather allows. My two main accents this year re practice are movement and point shooting from close retention - so in a sense my first two shots or so will be somewhat after your fashion.

Thx for the feedback.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Crashvector,

A few questions:
    1. What type of targets do you use?
    2. What is the accuracy standard?
    3. How are the targets arranged in relation to the shooter?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    Crashvector,

A few questions:
    1. What type of targets do you use?
    2. What is the accuracy standard?
    3. How are the targets arranged in relation to the shooter?

Thanks.
    1. Standard 25 meter small-bore pistol targets
    2. Accuracy limited to 6-inch groups @ 15 meters, 4 inches at 10 meters, and 3 inches at 7 meters. Anything outside this parameter is counted as a miss.
    3. One dead on, two flanking at 45 degrees to both the left and right. Left flanking target at 15meters, dead on target at 10 meters, right flanking target at 7 meters

P95:

I couldnt go Saturday because my parents were in town to see their grandkid (wife and I have a 15 month-old....the first grandkid for my parents) so they stayed pretty much all day

I went TWICE today. Once at 9am , and another at 3PM. BOTH TIMES it was raining cats and dogs. I'm starting to think someone up there doesn't like me too much..lol

All this rain out THERE, and Louisiana is under some of the most severe drought conditions on record...but it ALWAYS seems to rain when I want to go shoot.

Assistant Administrator
    No sweat - quite understood. No panic.

If you are suffering the same huge slow moving system I am - it is pretty darned persistent. The worst PA rain today was out East - radar made it look like Baltimore and areas to North of that got hammered.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    No sweat - quite understood. No panic.

If you are suffering the same huge slow moving system I am - it is pretty darned persistent. The worst PA rain today was out East - radar made it look like Baltimore and areas to North of that got hammered.

No...the problem where I LIVE is that it hasn't rained in WEEKS. It only seems to rain at the GUN RANGE!

It's getting quite annoying..but there isn't a whole lot you can do about Mother Nature.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Anxious to see the vids....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    Anxious to see the vids....
    Dim Mak = one-inch punch...right?

Dim Mak

Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    Dim Mak = one-inch punch...right?
    Isn't Dim Mak those tasty Chinese appetisers? :)

Actually, I thought it was something like 'Touch of Death' or something like that. Pressure point stuff.

Mind you, you could write what I know about martial arts on the back of a stamp with a paint roller.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    I can usually go from buzzer to 3rd shot in well under 2.5 seconds.....
    Hi,
    You mentioned that you would use a "buzzer" - if I got it right a shot timer. If this is the case - you have a shot timer - please post up your times too (first shot, splits, total time.)
    I would love to see how it brakes down ----> point shooting vs. aimed shots when we see the actual times.
    Is it really faster and how much faster?
    I'm still wondering...why IPSC Grand Masters don't use the point shooting technique then?

Regards,

Sponsor
    TheHun:

Actually sir, Robbie Leatham is on record as admitting to using threat focused shooting quite often on the stages of fire, as well as other IPSC Masters.

This isn't going to turn into a PS vs SS now is it?

As to how much faster? It doen't matter how much faster, it is recorded in many places as faster in certain circumstances, and faster is faster period. When time is of the essence on the street or the matches, those in the know use that skill set.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr

Actually sir, Robbie Leatham is on record as admitting to using threat focused shooting quite often on the stages of fire, as well as other IPSC Masters.
    If you meant to say that top shooters often (if they can get away with it according to a particular stage) focus on the target - or no focus at all just total feeling- instead of the front sight focus, I know what we talking about...but in these cases the gun is still mounted as it should be, only the point of focus is somewhere else.

I imagined this above mentioned techique as in the old cowboy movies...gun is barley out of the holster, nowhere near where it should be mounted ---> the stance, but already fired a round or two...
    I might be watching too much movies.
    Anyways the reason for my first post was, I wanted to see the exact times if applicable.

Well, I'm still hoping the weather is more cooperative. I'm still waiting for the vid!

Oh, and "Dim Mak" isn't Bruce Lee's very real "one inch punch," it refers to the mythical "delayed death" touch or strike.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links