Poison on the range: Lead exposure - Page 3

Poison on the range: Lead exposure

This is a discussion on Poison on the range: Lead exposure within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also worked at an Indoor Range in the early 90's and we were tested every 4-6 months. My average count was 1.5-1.8. If anyone ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Poison on the range: Lead exposure

I also worked at an Indoor Range in the early 90's and we were tested every 4-6 months. My average count was 1.5-1.8. If anyone went over 2.5 their range time was moved to sales and not shooting or training. Indoor ranges are not easy to keep clean and clean air is at the top of the list for me. If you do not feel air flowing from behind you down range toward the targets, the range you are shooting at may not be that clean. All in all lots of good info in this thread.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Thanks very much for the post! I, frankly, hadn't thought about getting lead poisoning from just visiting the range a dozen or so times a year. I recently took my 9 year old with me and didnt take appropriate cautions or warn him about not eating, drinking, putting his fingers in his mouth, etc. Luckily we didn't have any food or drink with us and as soon as we got home I did have him wash hands and change clothes... due to gunpowder smell though.

This has altered my view and will alter my actions going forward. As the good doc said, I paraphrase, "no lead is good lead".
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member
    I just bought some Winchester Super X/Super Unleaded ammo. They call it a FMJ encapsulated lead bullet (equal to Speers TMJ I suppose) with lead-free primers. It was actually $2 cheaper per 50 than WWB.

I read some testing done with it where they used a new barrel and covered the shooting bench with white paper. They did a preliminary check of lead with a swab kit of the barrel, bench paper and shooters hands and face, then and after firing 75 rounds they redid the same check and it showed there was no contamination of lead on any surface of the gun, paper or shooter.

Then they fired 10 rounds of regular Winchester cartridges and rechecked the barrel, paper and shooters hands and face and they all now showed the presence of lead.

Of course this doesn't negate any lead contamination from the general environment you are shooting in but this should help limit exposure.

Speer puts out lead free practice ammo.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Speer puts out lead free practice ammo.
    Yup, Speer Lawman Clean Fire. I haven't seen it readily available too many places and it's more expensive ($50 more per 1k on ammoman) than the Winchester Super Unleaded.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; August 27th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I just drive out to the boonies to do my shooting, usually by myself. I guess there are advantages to the great outdoors...minimal exposure.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ishing-tackle/

Not sure what I think about all this. Steel shot became mandatory for waterfowl a 'few' years ago when they figured out that the ducks were eating the lead shot. Not sure of all the fall out from this, but pretty sure it will hit the wallet first.

I just saw my personal physician for a vist and asked him to draw a blood lead level.
    Turns out it was 17 mcg/dL.
    Should be less than 3 which is US average or less than 10 which is OK but not great.

With LOTS of practice, lessons, IDPA matches, etc. I may not have been careful enough about exposure.
    I take this to mean that I really need to step up the prophylaxis and exposure control and maybe even use some lead free ammo...

My thoughts exactly GrandBob.lol

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    I just saw my personal physician for a vist and asked him to draw a blood lead level.
    Turns out it was 17 mcg/dL.
    Should be less than 3 which is US average or less than 10 which is OK but not great.

With LOTS of practice, lessons, IDPA matches, etc. I may not have been careful enough about exposure.
    I take this to mean that I really need to step up the prophylaxis and exposure control and maybe even use some lead free ammo...
    Can you describe "LOTS of practice"? Is it a few hours a month at the range or a few hours a day?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I shoot weekly at an outdoor range.
    I wash hands after shooting but not at range (no running water) but at restaurant before eating right after.
    I also wash after cleaning guns.
    Since I have blood work done several times a year,I just get my MD to add a lead level test annually.
    Last test was 10/2009 and was 4. test says reference range less than 10 mcg/dL.
    Based on what the OP says,I think I'll talk to my Doc.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

If one shoots a lot, couldn't one just wear a mask that is OSHA (or whoever standardizes these things) approved for lead particulates? Then just follow the normal hand washing procedures and such. Seems most exposure is from inhalation.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by davedave View Post
    Hunters, Conservationists Square Off Over Lead in Ammunition and Tackle - FoxNews.com

Not sure what I think about all this. Steel shot became mandatory for waterfowl a 'few' years ago when they figured out that the ducks were eating the lead shot. Not sure of all the fall out from this, but pretty sure it will hit the wallet first.
    Of course they were eating lead; I was feeding it to them as fast as my 1100 would serve it up!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Life is dangerous.
    I may slip in the shower, I may get hit by a drunk driver on the way to the range, my chicken sandwich may have salmonella,
    a terrorist may blow up the bus passing me, an asteroid may fall on my house while I sleep.

When I was in H.S. chemistry, I used to stick my finger in a vial of mercury to show the other kids that it came out dry. Now that was dangerous.
    Shoe stores had X-ray machines to look at your feet in new shoes. Now, that was dangerous.

I survived.

There's always someone to further the nanny mentality. Where does it end?

I know you mean well, but I'll make my own choices, thanks.

"Good god, man, you didn't just put salt on your fish, did you?"

Very interested info, I appreciate all the info in this thread. I do wash my hands after shooting cleaning/working w/ my firearms.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links