Range clothing

Range clothing

This is a discussion on Range clothing within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So in light of the thread on lead exposure ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-Lead-exposure ) I'm thinking about getting some dedicated range shirts. Something I can put on ...

Thread: Range clothing

Distinguished Member

Range clothing

So in light of the thread on lead exposure (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-Lead-exposure) I'm thinking about getting some dedicated range shirts. Something I can put on to go to the range and then take off once I'm done at the range before getting in the truck and driving home.

Right now with it being summer, the indoor range can get hot and I've just wearing t-shirts and on 90+ days I'll still sweat through those. Sure I could just bring a separate t-shirt with me and switch but it would be preferable not pull something over my head (we are trying to keep lead away from the face) so a button down would be better. Except for dress shirts most of what I own is t-shirts or polos, so not much in my closet to work from for this situation.

I was looking at some 5.11, Blackhawk and Woolrich stuff. I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not looking for anything too tacti-cool with pockets all over but some of those had concealed pockets which was a nice feature. I liked their long sleeve versions with the straps that will hold a rolled up sleeve in position.

I always wear old T-shirts or a hawaiian shirt over a t-shirt at the range (outdoor). In the winter, I wear a heavy jacket. I don't think lead exposure is really a big problem outdoors, but inside it definitely is. All of the indoor ranges around here have ventilation systems for removing air contaminants.

I find no reason to spend a lot of money on "range shirts." Just use shirts you don't really wear often or go somewhere inexpensive and get some basic button-up shirts.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Since I use the outdoor range most of the time, I use clothes that I am not afraid to get down and dirty with and I try to make sure they are also the clothes worn from the day before. Mainly t-shirt and jeans. For summer outdoor shooting, I also wear a du-rag on my head in order to limit any excessive amounts of facial sweating. When shooting my AR-15 rifle, I also use a magazine vest over my clothing. For the winter or fall, I also set aside a field jacket and light jacket to keep me warm. Since they are only used strictly for range use, I keep them in a separate closet. The field jacket also contain a knit cap, balaclava, and hand warmers too. I will also use an orange colored vest rather than dirtying up my leather and photographer vests. I'll even set aside my best jacket(s) in my car in order to don them after the shooting. But I do not want to wear them on an outdoor range for fear of dirtying them up. Yup, shooting outdoors is way more different and rugged than shooting indoors, where I can wear just about anything. Despite that, I like outdoor ranges because of their flexibility when it comes to shooting utilizing other positions.

I wear polo shirts almost all the time. If going to the range or working outdoors I'll wear older ones. When I get home I toss them in the laundry basket.

For pants I wear khakis, jeans, cargo shorts, cargo pants, as appropriate, and toss them in the laundry after going to the range.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

cj
    I've moved to long sleeve lightweight synthetic shirts that have a sun protection rating since I live in such an intensely sunny area. That and some cheap LA PoliceGear pants make up my range wardrobe.

Edit: DOH! Sucked in by a spammer. But still thought it was a good topic.

Links