Calling Airsoft and FoF peoples..

This is a discussion on Calling Airsoft and FoF peoples.. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a FoF training coming up in just about two weeks. I just got a message yesterday saying what I need: Quote... PREREQUISITES: NONE ...

Thread: Calling Airsoft and FoF peoples..

Senior Moderator

Calling Airsoft and FoF peoples..

I have a FoF training coming up in just about two weeks. I just got a message yesterday saying what I need:

Quote...
    PREREQUISITES: NONE AMMUNITION: Approximately 500 (minimum) good quality plastic pellets : NO STEEL PELLETS and 200 rounds of pistol ammo YOU NEED TO BRING: Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape) REQUIREMENTS: You MUST have a gas-operated Airsoft pistol for this class. Spring-operated guns are not suitable. A paintball mask/helmet, hooded sweatshirt and gloves are necessary.
    Modern Defensive Pistol, Holster specifically made for that pistol and designed to be worn on the belt at the "strong side", 2 Magazines and One Magazine Pouch, A Belt of the same width as the belt loops for the holster and magazine pouches, Range Safety Gear (Eye protection and ear protection) and a tactical flashlight.

NOTE: Bring an adequate supply of green gas or alternatively a propane converter, propane gas, and silicon lubricant to charge up the pistols. An extra magazine is important in case there is a problem with the primary.
    I know about as much about airsoft as I do quantum physics.

Can anyone interpret and recommend any good places to purchase an airsoft pistol that matches these requirements?

2. Remove Ads

Hmm, that equipment list looks a bit familiar.

Gas operated airsoft pistols launch their BBs using Green Gas (basically propane with a bit of silicone lubricant added). They're probably the most realistic types of airsoft pistols available, capable of repeated shots and sporting realistic hammer and slide action. A good gas gun is going to run you $100-$150. IIRC you carry a 1911, so you probably won't have too much trouble finding an airsoft equivalent of your carry gun. Some pistols either don't have airsoft versions available, or they're difficult to find. Definitely get an additional magazine, airsoft mags are even more prone to breakage or malfunctions than real mags are. Unlike real 1911s, airsoft magazines often aren't interchangeable between brands, so get one from the same manufacturer as your airsoft gun. The plastic pellets are pretty standard. Green Gas is getting harder to find these days, but as I said it's basically propane with a few additives. You can get an adapter that allows you to gas up your airsoft gun from one of the little 1lb bottles of camping propane.

Airsoft Atlanta, as Guantes recommended, is a pretty good place to buy airsoft gear. I've ordered from them in the past and been happy with it. More specifically, to be sure you get the right kind of gun, their gas gun category is here: http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Airsoft_Gas_Guns_s/56.htm and extra magazines can be found here http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Airsof...zines_s/17.htm

Any other questions, ask away.
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

Senior Moderator
    Okay, what does it mean about the difference in ammo.. none ammo vs 200 rounds of pistol ammo. It isn't talking about live ammunition is it? I mean I would assume not since this is a FOF training but these days, who knows. This may seem like a REALLY dumb question but oh well.. I'll blame it on the fact that I am blond.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Okay, what does it mean about the difference in ammo.. none ammo vs 200 rounds of pistol ammo. It isn't talking about live ammunition is it? This may seem like a REALLY dumb question but oh well.. I'll blame it on the fact that I am blond.
    I believe it's the fact that you're missing some line breaks, rather than anything to do with your hair color. The "NONE" is the answer to prerequisites, not about ammunition. What I think it's saying is:

PREREQUISITES: NONE
    AMMUNITION: Approximately 500 (minimum) good quality plastic pellets : NO STEEL PELLETS and 200 rounds of pistol ammo
    YOU NEED TO BRING: Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape)
    REQUIREMENTS: You MUST have a gas-operated Airsoft pistol for this class. Spring-operated guns are not suitable. A paintball mask/helmet, hooded sweatshirt and gloves are necessary.

Modern Defensive Pistol, Holster specifically made for that pistol and designed to be worn on the belt at the "strong side", 2 Magazines and One Magazine Pouch, A Belt of the same width as the belt loops for the holster and magazine pouches, Range Safety Gear (Eye protection and ear protection) and a tactical flashlight.

NOTE: Bring an adequate supply of green gas or alternatively a propane converter, propane gas, and silicon lubricant to charge up the pistols. An extra magazine is important in case there is a problem with the primary.
    So, an airsoft gun with 500 plastic pellets and green gas, and a modern defensive pistol with 200 rounds of live ammunition.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; August 24th, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

Senior Moderator
    Oh, that makes MUCH more sense. Okay.. now I don't feel so silly and confused. Thank you!

So real gun w/ 200 rounds of REAL ammo.. an airsoft gun and 500 + pellets for said gun. Got it!

Don't forget the mask/helmet. A good idea is to safety pin a hand towel in the front and back of your sweatshirt for extra "armor". Some of the gas guns are more powerful than others and can leave welts.

Administrator
    I'm best guessing that you'll need 200 rounds of live pistol ammo (for other shooting work) in addition to the 500 plastic pellets (no steel pellets) for the AirSoft portion of the course.

Whoops! I see (above) that you already got it. Happy Shooting Lima.

Did this last in August this year. Did Air-Soft with others at a Extreme Close Gunfighting Class in Chattanooga Tn. We did FOF, one one on one drills at 15 feet and other drills out to 25 feet including FOF and getting off the X drills. It hurts if hit and was enjoyed by all. Training was First Class from SI. We also shot more than 500 rounds of live ammo.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Also, be sure to not buy the cheapo clear plastic balls from Wally World! Talk to an airsoft guy at the shop and they will hook you up with good balls that cost a bit more but bio-degrade and they won't shatter on launch or close range impact into a gazillion tiny plastic fragments right into your eyes.
    Traditional paintball-type goggles are good but I have found the mesh goggles specifically for airsoft to be superior as they don't fog up on you and at FoF ranges the slight gridding of your vision won't matter. If you already have a set of Gucci goggles it's not a worry but it's something to consider. These mesh goggles also come with some masks so be sure to ask about these as well (I never bothered with a full mask).

DONT buy 12gr bb's, only 20 or higher

Wish I was goin' with ya Lima. Take notes, as we're going to offer FOF through Wolf Creek (and you're going to be our guest instructor)...LOL. I'll get JD that holster for ya tonight.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Links