Enhanced Peripheral Vision ©

This is a discussion on Enhanced Peripheral Vision © within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Enhanced Peripheral Vision © In 1981 I was taught how to use my peripheral vision while shooting shotguns, rifles and pistols. The skill was called ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Peripheral Vision ©

Sponsor

In 1981 I was taught how to use my peripheral vision while shooting shotguns, rifles and pistols. The skill was called instinct shooting by Bobby Lamar “Lucky” McDaniel, who was known to have developed the technique in what the U S Army later was to name Quick Kill after adopting the technique for it’s rifle program in the late 1950’s.

Instead of using direct vision sighting and utilizing the sights on a rifle or pistol, we were taught to use a narrow range of our naturally occurring peripheral vision to “see” the end of the barrel/front sight while staying threat focused with our direct vision at all times.

These peripheral reference points from the end of the barrel/front sight to the intended target for the pistols, rifles and shotguns make the techniques repeatable and reliable. Once the reference from the weapon to the target is established peripherally, one fires and hits the intended target.

I became so familiar with using peripheral vision that it became a part of my subconscious and as natural to use as anything that can be done without conscious effort. Things like driving a car and riding a bike are easier the more we perform the activity. This use of the peripheral vision to verify the relationship between the weapon and the intended strike point became no less automatic over the years of using it with firearms of all kinds.

Late in the year of 1991, I was getting bored with shooting a handgun using Quick Kill. It had been 10 years since being taught to use my natural abilities by Bobby Lamar “Lucky” McDaniel in Georgia. It did not require any effort to make hits, required little to no practice on a regular basis, and I needed something to stimulate my mind further where handguns was concerned.

I had taught a police officer earlier that year how to use two kali/escrima sticks simultaneously in combat. Over 10 weeks he had become fairly ambidextrous and had developed enough skill in his off hand/arm to work the stick as well as his strong hand/arm. He was able to use a single stick in either hand proficiently and could move the stick from one hand to the other without loss of any dexterity, coordination or speed.

When I realized what the officer was capable of doing, it dawned on me that I had also walked that path a decade before when I had bee trained in double stick work but I had not realized just how much improvement in use of the off hand had come from the double stick training then or over the subsequent years.

I determined I would work on developing my shooting skills using two guns simultaneously, one in each hand at combat distances based on what I had observed with the police officer. This would be interesting to say the least. Could I develop the use of the off hand with a handgun to a level of proficiency like the sticks had shown us? This was something to work on that would take the boredom with handguns I had been experiencing and it just seemed like it would be a lot of fun trying even if the results were poor. It would challenge my mind to work again using handguns.

I went to the range and shot with a gun in each hand at one target. I used two model 36 Smith and Wesson snub-nosed revolvers initially. In short order, I could shoot both at the same time onto a threat 4-6 feet out and keep the shots centered on the target. I only had one threat to look at so I could stay threat focused. Using the technique Lucky McDaniel had shown us worked with two guns pretty good. I moved the target out to about 10 feet with the same stellar results, then 12 feet and still the hits were there every time. I was using the narrow range of peripheral vision that Lucky’s threat/target focused method used, the guns well below line of sight and seen in that comfortable narrow range of my peripheral vision.

It was time to try this on two targets with the two guns at the same time. I put up a second “threat” target and both were moved back in to the 4-6 foot range. Initially I place the stands so they touched one another so the threats were less than four feet center of chest to center of chest. Initially I tried to just get the guns up and check their positions individually on the threats, then fire simultaneously. That worked pretty good, as would be expected, by first verifying individually that the guns were where they needed to be before firing.

Though I had good results that way, it was not going to be something I could use in battle on the streets if I had to. The time to physically verify the two guns individually first would get you killed. Still this was promising so I determined I needed to keep working at it.

I found myself at the range again the next week setting up two more threat targets. I was using full size silhouette/body targets at the same distance of about 4-5 feet away and about four feet apart from the centers of the chests. I worked hard that day on developing this skill. I tried looking at one threat and hitting both, that didn’t give me reliable center hits on the threat I wasn’t looking at very often. I tried looking at the left one and hitting both, then the right one and hitting both, alternating between them with varied results that were better but not what they needed to be.

Then I tried to focus/look at neither of the two threats but look between them with direct vision. That seemed very promising in multiple runs. The hits were very good, but the range was short and the threats close together. I was onto something here. If I didn’t look at either of the threats directly, I got better hits on both at the same time. I was definitely onto something but I didn’t know what, it was too new to understand at the time. I was using “multiple threat focus” © and still using the peripheral vision of Quick Kill to “see” the guns, though the narrow peripheral vision range of the one threat/one gun Quick Kill technique had to be expanded.

I moved the threats farther apart by a few feet at the same distance and tried this again. Looking at neither of the threats directly, nor the guns, I worked it slowly and in a few runs found the hits were centered on each simultaneously again. My mind was figuring out that the narrow range of use in the Quick Kill could be expanded, and the gun/s did not have to be directly below my head and line of sight to use the peripheral vision to “see” the guns at the same time. This was getting really interesting to say the least.

I moved the threats out to 10 feet and moved them about 10 feet apart. It reliable center hits fell apart again. More work would be necessary, but I was on the right road to getting solid reliable hits shooting two threats at the same time with one gun in each hand. I went home for the day to think about what I was doing here.

It was not too long before I was back at the range. I could not stop thinking about what I was onto here and I was anxious to work this out to a reliable system of hits on two threats at the same time from street combat distances where the threats were a good distance apart from one another.

I worked some drills experimenting between direct vision and peripheral vision use, alternating between the two as well as how I was bringing the guns onto the threats. By the time I had run a few boxes of ammo through the guns, I had hit upon how to make this work reliably enough for the street and how the focus on the threats and guns had to be used. I had learned that I could “enhance” the peripheral vision used with Quick Kill and didn’t have to even use direct focus on the threats any longer.

The Enhanced Peripheral Vision © I had developed personally for me over a few weeks with this experimentation of two gun shooting on multiple threats only showed me that my mind was the limiting factor as always. If I didn’t use direct focus on either threat, and enhanced and expanded the narrow range of peripheral vision used with Quick Kill, the hits were very reliable and centered. I had also discovered the physical technique that worked best in getting the guns on the threats that put it all together in that time frame.

I’ve since developed an Enhanced Peripheral Vision © exercise that can get people to do the same thing with two guns on multiple threats in less than an hour. It can be done from the seated, standing, in the light of day, and more importantly in very lowlight. One really needs Quick Kills narrow range of use of the peripheral vision and is an imperative base or foundation. The training in peripheral vision use that Quick Kill brings to people will allow the mind to expand further than thought possible. Once your mind understands exactly what is necessary and understands it doesn’t need to wait for the verification of the sights or gun on threat, you can use your natural abilities even further with the enhanced peripheral vision we are all capable of.

Once your mind can let go of the constraints and use of any direct vision, and understands it’s own powers that allows your body to just perform things it always could but never was allowed to explore through it’s own self limitations and doubt, it truly becomes Zen like and as natural as anything you have ever experienced before.

With the training in enhanced peripheral vision, you can “see” on a plane that encompasses all that is above you, below you and to either side of you without looking at anything directly. That new found ability, coupled with the very specific physical technique that gets the guns on threats reliably which I came to in the development of this skill really is the mind letting go of it’s constraints and need for any verification of the position of the guns or where your body is in the overall picture/landscape of a scenario.

I practice this skill with one gun almost every night before I go to bed in the lowlight produced by a nightlight in the room. The threat might be the calving rope 10 feet high up on the wall, or it might be night-light itself. With the enhanced peripheral vision © working [remembering that you can “see” on a plane that encompasses all that is above you, below you and to either side of you without looking at anything directly], I can face the front door and put the gun on the calving rope or a picture on the wall to my right or left without ever turning my head or body.

Two guns can be used to put one on something off to my extreme right on the wall, and something to my left with the other at the same time. Once the guns are locked on [using the specific the physical skill to get them locked on that I developed and is reliable and an easily transferable skill to others], I hold them in place, and check their positions on the intended “threats” in lowlight and they are always dead on and would hit.

With the enhanced peripheral vision © exercises, and while just walking along, I can see what I’m going to need to walk over before I trip on it without looking down, or where the edge of the rug starts. I can see the smoke detectors on the vaulted ceiling high above me. In a nutshell, without looking at anything specifically in the room, I can see everything with this training. More importantly, I can use a gun in my left or right hand, or both simultaneously to make hits on anything in my enhanced peripheral vision without ever turning my head.

Enhanced Peripheral Vision © will become a registered copyright for me with Washington DC here shortly. Students will be introduced to this after they are well versed in the narrow range of peripheral vision that Quick Kill training brings them.

The mind is the limiting factor

Robin Brown

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Robin - interesting stuff!

I am a great devotee of sharpening the peripheral vision as part of good situational awareness tho confess to not having tried exploiting it much actually shooting.

You have given me good food for thought and I will be seeing how well I can employ this when next at the range.

Makes a ton of sense and I do believe that anyone can improve peripheral perception thru what I regard as a cerebral ''acuity increase'' - a case of improving ''wiring'' and throwing a switch or two.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsor
    P95Carry;

Thanks for the comments sir.

I've owned this for a very long time as you can tell from the narrative. Lucky McDaniel gave us Quick Kill which utilized a narrow field of peripheral vision where the gun was concerned, and staying threat focused at all times.

It was a hoot to have come to what I did just messing with the peripheral vision of Quick kill. That's how I got there, through the roughly 10 years of exclusive use of Quick Kills use of peripheral vision.

The best part of the discovery in using this "enhanced peripheral vision" © I made is that I discovered how to get the guns on threat physically and make this utterly reliable and a skill that is transferrable to others for use on the street in SD situations.

Swat types are really going to enjoy the benefits of this training. Once one has been brought to the levels I can get them to in short time frames [ the shortcut is the physical technique of how to get the guns on threat reliably [ accurately ] that I developed using the enhanced peripheral vision ©, it then allows one to be engaging one threat with one gun as normally would be the case, yet see in their peripheral there is another threat and not have to turn the head or body to make shots on the second or even third threat immediately.

Though owning this skill for 15 years, I had not released it to the general public before today. I felt the time was right for this, as more and more students are writing that the peripheral vision training they are receiving utilized through the Quick Kill methodologies, now allows people to understand that it's not smoke and mirrors or snake oil thats for sale. Just real world useable skills that help you stay alive in the concrete jungles of the world.

I've just added this to the Integrated Threat Focused Training currculum and the first student to offically get this is here with me this weekend from Washington D.C.

Brownie

Administrator

Post A Small Informational Addition

I hope that forum members will be open minded enough to experiment with some of the above presented here by Forum Member AzQkr.

It will be a benefit to every individual interested in self~defensive shooting to expand the horizons of their natural (God~Given or Evolution~Given...take your pick) Instinctive Ability.

Stress the word ~~~~ NATURAL.

This is NOT new stuff that is presented here and (in fact) it is all extremely Ancient.

It not Revolutionary ~~~ It has simply been Rediscovered & Refined & Redefined by good and talented folks like AzQker....and some others.

As human beings we were gifted (ages ago) with many natural self~preservation abilities that have only really been fairly recently "forgotten and shelved" by Modern Man.

We have all inherited amazing basic proactive & reactive skills that were absolutely necessary for us to survive as a race of comparatively frail "two legged" humans.

Those skills are not gone or "lost forever" they are just dormant survival seedlings waiting patiently in the mind to sprout again.

We can either keep it all shut out or we can decide to wake it up.

It's a highly personal decision and I'll only say (as a neutral forum moderator) that forum members will do a disservice to themselves by not giving all intangible things that appear to be "slightly different" the fair chance to prove their true intrinsic value and worth.

The very worst that can happen is that you'll stay the way you are. The best that can happen is that you'll be totally "flat out amazed" at what you are able to do quite naturally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I'm gonna anyway. While this technique is interesting and may be good fun for the range and trick shooting, I see some major flaws in it for defensive use.
    First, the act of not looking at a leathal threat, utilizing the peripheral vision seems to me to be somewhere in the realm of impossible. If you've ever been in so much as a fistfight you've experienced this. Even a trained fighter tunnelvisions upon his opponent (s) though he may concentrate on hands or hips in the process. To look off into space in a high stress situation seems to me to be all around impractical.

Second, How do you identify a shoot, no shoot situation if you have to use peripheral vision? I'll not expand on this, because the answer is obvious.

While this system sounds interesting, untill I see conclusive proof that it can be done at least at 21', and the shooter can identify shoot, no-shoot targets. I will remain skeptical as to it's utility.

Sponsor
    I see some major flaws in it for defensive use.

You see a flaw in being able to shoot one person and then move the gun to a second assailant immediately without having to turn the body or head to so at ranges out to 12 feet? Two assailants attacking seems like this would be ideal for speed.

First, the act of not looking at a leathal threat, utilizing the peripheral vision seems to me to be somewhere in the realm of impossible.

And here we see the first naysayer/unbeliever to post on a subject he knows nothing about.

To look off into space in a high stress situation seems to me to be all around impractical.

Did you see anywhere in the post about looking off into space? Please, try to keep your comments to what was written and not your assumptions. We'll get along much better in the long run. If you don't understand something within the post, I'd much prefer you ask for clarification than make wild statements like that.

Even a trained fighter tunnelvisions upon his opponent (s) though he may concentrate on hands or hips in the process.

Yes sir, but have they been shown how to use any enhanced peripheral vision previously would be the question I'd ask here. And, those would be two very different skills sets being used. Neither had anything to do with the other or outcomes from performance, good or bad. Apples to oranges and worlds apart in what is required between both skills.

How do you identify a shoot, no shoot situation if you have to use peripheral vision?

The answer is obvious, you don't. It is not meant to be used everywhere all the time, only those times when it can be used.

Like any skills set, it is not a catchall for every situation you would run into in an SD situation. Nothing works in every instance, and neither would this. This skill is something that will enhance your shooting skills, and open your mind to what you are actually capable of without looking at the gun, or in this case, maybe two guns at the same time.

It's no parlor trick, any more than threat focused shooting is. Still, there are those who don't believe what can be done without looking at the one gun, and where this is new territory, there will be those who disbelieve this can be accomplish at all.

But of course, they just don't know what they don't know and it is not their fault, they speak from a lack of knowledge in this regard. I understand and accept that there will always be those who are like that, and who will refuse to actually look at the potential this offers. It's okay, it's probably not meant for everyone, just those who have an open mind and are willing to look, listen and learn from others who can impart the knowledge.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; June 27th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Brownie,

I'm going to put this as nicely as I can.

For someone who seems to be truly interested in communicating an idea, you really need to re-evaluate your method of doing so.

You wrote a nice piece. You seem justifiably proud of it, judging by the frequency of your use of the copyright symbol.

You have shown you can accept compliments gracefully, but when someone questions you, there seems to be a problem.

Maybe you didn't intend it, but your reply to blueyedevil's post came off as being arrogant and down-right rude. He said he didn't agree with what your were saying, explained why, and asked for clarification.

You missed an opportunity to "really communicate," when instead of simply taking on his concerns and further explaining your thoughts, you chose to add comments as to just what might be wrong with him and anyone else who didn't agree with you.

Too bad. I thought you were off to a good start. I found your initial post to be quite interesting and worthy of really looking into. But since you seem to be more interested in preaching rather than teaching, you might find that your audience is going to shrink.

I doubt it will matter to you since I've posted a less than congratulatory message, but I did find your first post to be very thought-provoking. Weeding out the personal comments against the person who raised some very valid concerns, you did a good job of addressing those concerns.

But when you "preach down from on high," your message, however valuable it might be, will not reach very many ears.

Maybe you didn't intend to come off like that. I don't know. I've done quite a bit of "on-line" instruction (on an entirely different subject,) myself. When someone didn't seem to "get" what I was saying, I generally took the position that perhaps the fault was mine, that I had failed to accurately communicate my message. I hope I never blamed someone for failing to understand what I failed to make clear.

blueyedevil did not question your knowledge or integrity, he just questioned your message. All you needed to do was to support your position with logic and knowledge. Instead, you made comments that suggested that something must be wrong with anyone who dared to differ from your position.

Anytime you feel the need to instruct someone on "how to get along" with you, you might wonder why they would even want to.

If I am wrong with my assessment of your answer to blueyedevil's post, I'll certainly apologize.

You tell me.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Sponsor
    madmike;

By blueyedevil stating this "I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I'm gonna anyway." as his first sentence, he set the tone of his post.

Perhaps if he had not started with that tone, I would not have replied with the same courtesy.

To look off into space in a high stress situation seems to me to be all around impractical.

blueyedevil's statement above made it obvious that he either didn't comprehend the posts theme about peripheral vision or he was intentionally making light of using peripheral vision. If he thought I was writing about looking off into space, he should probably have asked if thats what I was talking about and that he needed clarification on that subject.

I certainly don't feel everyone will agree with the post, or perhaps contemplate the subject matter in the same light. I expect people to ask for clarification on something in the post they may not understand or for more information on the subject.

Blueyedevil didn't take that tact and instead showed himself to be not only less than interested in the subject, but quite willing to write opposing the idea of peripheral visions use as some sort of "trick shooting".

My intention was not to blame Blueyedevil for anything he may not have understood on the subject. If something was unclear to him, he should have asked objectively IMO, instead of the position he took and the tone of the message he sent. In support of the above statement, I did write that "If you don't understand something within the post, I'd much prefer you ask for clarification than make wild statements like that."

Anytime you feel the need to instruct someone on "how to get along" with you, you might wonder why they would even want to.

I concur sir. I don't expect everyone to get along with me or with others at all times. Differing views can be experessed as "I don't believe it, you are full of it" or "I don't understand it, please explain it further to me" or "I don't want to even think about this", and in many more ways. I simply made it quite clear [ at least I hope I did ] to him that if he wanted to further discuss the post, it's content or the validity of peripheral visions use further how he might address that in his next correspondence.

As an aside, I've shown a few this technique already, one being a Deputy US Marshall, his thoughts are here for everyones edification:

"Having gotten a taste of this in my last refresher with Brownie, all I can say is "IT ROCKS!!!" Imagine 2 targets 10-12 feet from the shooter and at a 45 degrees each from shooter's centerline and being able to get COM shots firing 2 gun simultaneously!!!

Your suggestions are noted, I appreciate the time you took to put them to print.

Brownie

Well now.

I guess I do owe you an apology, as it certainly looks to me like you can indeed take criticism! And I am very glad to took my post for what it was, and not as a personal challenge. (It wasn't intended as that.)

I didn't take blueyedevil's post the same way you did. That's a problem with "text conversation," it's hard to gauge the tone of the written word, and you have none of the body language clues provided by face-to-face conversation.

That in mind, I'm in no position to pass any meaningful judgement on anyone. Maybe I should sit back down in the peanut gallery and let blueyedevil speak up, if he's a mind to. There's a good chance he didn't take your reply quite like I did, either.

I'd like to see more on the subject at hand, and will keep following this thread.

Hey, if I'm not real careful, I might learn something!

Assistant Administrator
    Thanks guys for keeping things measured
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsor
    madmike;

No apology necessary to me.

I'd like to see more on the subject at hand, and will keep following this thread.

Not sure where this thread will run to on this board, but the same thread is ongoing on the TFF site. A few real world swat trained LE's I gave it to are playing with it presently and will post their thoughts as to how understanding the subject and technique may benefit those on the streets, in conjunction with the Dep US Marshalls comments already posted.

P95Carry:

Understood on keeping things measured.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; June 28th, 2006 at 06:09 PM.

Glad to see the post seems to be back to friendly ..

Chris, Bud,

No problemo, Bosses!
    I said I'd try to play nice, and Brownie made it easy for me.

Besides, I'd hate to have either of you go: on me. . .

Brownie,

I want to go back and give it all another good read. Hopefully, there'll be enough interest on this Forum to keep it going a while. Glad it's being covered on another forum, but I'd really like for myself and others to be able to discuss it on this one.

Knowing me, I'm sure I'll have some comments and questions after that "second read." And I'd much prefer posting them right here, on my "Home Forum."

Sponsor
    madmike;

After the second read, if you have questions, please feel free to ask them here. I've had this down for 15 years, enhanced peripheral training, whether it be with a gun or just observations skills is an important aspect of cognitive skills that can be developed in everyone.

The stick training brings this out quite nicely as mentioned. One does not need to look at the target to hit it, and when there are multiple aggressors, ones peripheral skills will play a major role in the outcome who gets what and where.

You have to be aware of a threat before you can address the threat, the eyes pick up small amounts of movement in peripheral vision, not direct vision [ medically documented ]. If there is more than one assailant, anything you can use to your advantage is a plus to shorten the times of responses to potential lethal danger.

Brownie

I do intend to take you up on that offer to ask some questions here, in this Forum. Right now, I am re-reading everything you've said on the subject so far.

I want to make sure I've a good understanding of all that, before asking any questions. So far as I've gotten, I tend to think I do grasp what you are saying, your use of the phrase "Zen like," is something I really can identify with.

To make sure I truly am getting what you are saying, I will post back my understanding of your main points, and you can tell me if I'm on the mark, or not.

Thanks for your patience.

mm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links