The Modern Edged Weapon Threat

This is a discussion on The Modern Edged Weapon Threat within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He was touting himself as the real deal back then as well, but didn't want to play with one who had some knowledge and background. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Modern Edged Weapon Threat

Sponsor
    He was touting himself as the real deal back then as well, but didn't want to play with one who had some knowledge and background. Very telling in his impression of his own skills and self confidence.

He's the "real deal" because you say so? Because your boss has utilized and offered his training? Just how much blade training have you had to be considered an authority on who's a "real deal" in defensive edged weapons anyway Randy?

As to knowing everything, that's your stated assumption, not mine Randy, I didn't post anything that would be construed as an absolute.. Again, you don't know what you don't know [ about me, Sotis or likely defensive blade work from your posts ].

As I stated:
    Blocking the knife doesn't work in the real world, it only gives your opponent more targets of opportunity. is a true statement, one known by every serious defensive edged weapons player. I didn't suggest you would get cut, I stated blocking creates more targets of opportunity which it most certainly does.
    Last edited by AzQkr; October 19th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

If you go into a knife fight with ideations of not getting cut, you have already lost. You must acknowledge the fact that it's going to happen, brush it off and go for the kill like an animal. Close-with, and destroy. Of course you may get lucky, but you can't count on luck. If you were lucky, the BG would be staring down the barrel of your gun instead of you trying to avoid his blade.

No expert here, but it seems to me that going to the outside is your best bet with a blade or empty handed. Now if for whatever reason that fight does not end up there, it makes sense to train for being inside in that "kill zone". Not trying to pick one way or the other just saying that we should prepare for any eventuality.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Trained with Janich for 8 days over two events, I know what Mike trains in [ how many training days do you have with Mike? ]. Though I haven't trained with SouthNarc, I'm aware of his training regimen with the blade edge in/reverse grip [ and that's not how the majority of people use a blade so it's quite specific to that form of blade work ]. As to Sotis, well, lets just say he doesn't impress me at all and leave it at that.

You can say without a doubt that it DOES NOT WORK?

Did I say that?, or even allude to that? I don't see anywhere in my posts today that I suggested anything of the kind. What I said was "Presuming a smash to the face will keep you from being cut is very dangerous whether you have the skills you think you have or not. You control the blade arm/hand or you will take damage. It's easier to control the attackers blade hand from the outside than the inside, no matter who you are or what you think you know."

Anything CAN work, yet, to presume that you'll be able to smash someone in the face and stop their arm/hand from further aggression at the same time is not erring on the side of caution.

But I guess you're right.....I'm sure you know more about knife work than Tom Sotis, Southnarc and Mike Janich all put
    together.

I'm sure I know quite a bit more about blade work than you're aware of, having trained for near a decade with Keating and then being a defensive edged weapons instructor for S+W's training division for 3 years training LEO's across the USA as well as training mils/LEO's privately to include several HS/LD swat units.

You're background and experience with blades is what?
    Nice......you have a good training background. I have years of training with the FMA's myself and I am currently training in Pekiti Tirsia Kali. I agree with your remarks by the way.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Wow...this is better than a caliber war!

If someone comes at me with an edge or impact weapon, I'm going to do my darndest to get distance between us...I'm certainly not going hands-on if I can avoid it. Distance favors the handgun. Of course, I recognize it's not always possible to do that.

I'll go sit in the corner quietly now, and make some popcorn...mmmmm...popcorn...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    He was touting himself as the real deal back then as well, but didn't want to play with one who had some knowledge and background. Very telling in his impression of his own skills and self confidence.

He's the "real deal" because you say so? Because your boss has utilized and offered his training? Just how much blade training have you had to be considered an authority on who's a "real deal" in defensive edged weapons anyway Randy?

As to knowing everything, that's your stated assumption, not mine Randy, I didn't post anything that would be construed as an absolute.. Again, you don't know what you don't know [ about me, Sotis or likely defensive blade work from your posts ].

As I stated:
    Blocking the knife doesn't work in the real world, it only gives your opponent more targets of opportunity. is a true statement, one known by every serious defensive edged weapons player. I didn't suggest you would get cut, I stated blocking creates more targets of opportunity which it most certainly does.
    What is Sotis' training background.......I can't find it on the AMOK website?
    "You fight the way you Train"

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Wow...this is better than a caliber war!

If someone comes at me with an edge or impact weapon, I'm going to do my darndest to get distance between us...I'm certainly not going hands-on if I can avoid it. Distance favors the handgun. Of course, I recognize it's not always possible to do that.

I'll go sit in the corner quietly now, and make some popcorn...mmmmm...popcorn...
    I agree. I plan on out running them, which should not be a problem........I will be the only one running on dry ground!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links