Firearms training in Orlando

This is a discussion on Firearms training in Orlando within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go to Sig Academy or stay local. I found some schools around my area and I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms training in Orlando

Firearms training in Orlando

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go to Sig Academy or stay local. I found some schools around my area and I'm wondering if any of y'all have experience with any of them:

http://www.s2institute.com

http://www.rg-security.com

www.bushidotactical.com

Or could suggest a firearms training school either in the Tampa or Orlando area?

2. Remove Ads

What kind of training are you looking for, and what types of classes have you taken in the past?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What kind of training are you looking for, and what types of classes have you taken in the past?
    I just want to improve my shooting. I haven't taken any formal training, but I know how to safely handle a weapon, now I'd just like to work on my accuracy. I'm going to applying for a job in security, and I'm worried about passing the Armed Guard qualification. They're going to provide the classroom instruction for me to get my D & G licenses, but I'm going to be competing for the job against guys who are just getting out of the military, so I feel need to do well on the shooting test.

Last September I took Brownie's Threat-Focused Training (point shooting) in the Central Florida area. Probably one of the most beneficial classes I've been into...relevant and practical for today's survival in Wally World parking lots, and such. We shot approximately 1500 rounds in two days. I found out just how useless sights can be, but just how accurate you can be without them.
    See the Threat-Focused threads via the advertisement at the top of the DC page.
    I would be careful about classes though, anyone who's been a cop or a security/military guy can post some credentials, rent a space and teach a class...do your homework.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Massad Ayoob Group has a couple of training dates in Florida. One is in Oct.

http://massadayoobgroup.com/
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Massad Ayoob Group has a couple of training dates in Florida. One is in Oct.

http://massadayoobgroup.com/
    I plan to train with Mr. Ayoob, but he requires that you have two handguns and I don't even have one yet so I'll need a class with rental guns available.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I plan to train with Mr. Ayoob, but he requires that you have two handguns and I don't even have one yet so I'll need a class with rental guns available.
    I know they want you to have a gun that you can comfortably shoot 500 rounds with. Small mouse guns are not preferred. I would call the range and see if you can rent anything. It will be expensive since they rent by the hour. You would be better off buying a pistol or revolver. I don't think they require 2 guns. Two is a good idea though in case one breaks. There are no refunds.

Before you jump into an expensive 2 day or 40 hour class, you might check on a beginner class at local range that rents guns.

Do you have a CCW?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I know they want you to have a gun that you can comfortably shoot 500 rounds with. Small mouse guns are not preferred. I would call the range and see if you can rent anything. It will be expensive since they rent by the hour. You would be better off buying a pistol or revolver. I don't think they require 2 guns. Two is a good idea though in case one breaks. There are no refunds.

Before you jump into an expensive 2 day or 40 hour class, you might check on a beginner class at local range that rents guns.

Do you have a CCW?
    Nope. Sig Sauer Academy (and I believe a few others) have loaner weapons that they we let you use for the course either free of charge or for a flat one time fee. I don't have the money to buy a gun yet as I'm unemployed. That's why I'm getting this job.

Somebody warned me to stay away from local yokels that teach shooting as a hobby on the weekends and stick to a professional firearms academy.

Brownie's class is superb. See his web site - threat focused. Florida concealed carry forums also shows his dates.

Sponsor
    I'm in the Daytona area Nov 6-7 for a threat focused pistol training event [ couple of weeks away ].
    If you're interested, connect with me at arizonaqkr " at" yahoo "dot" com for details.

Mark, hope all is well in your world.

retsupt99, same to you sir, and thanks to both you and Mark for your thoughts on the threat focused training provided across the US

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THE Man Himself^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THE Man Himself^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    H/D
    Hope all is well with you as well hogdaddy

I've been absent here for a time. Perusing the site, I found this thread and figured I'd throw out the training event coming up in the Daytona area for the OP to consider.

Appreciate everyone's mentioning the training available here,

Stay sharp

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

sgb
    http://www.bushidotactical.com/ is top notch, Wade is a 1st rate instructor. The other two outfits deal mostly with Security Guards.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Any number of instructors at : www.southernexposuretraining.com

For getting your form corrected/tweaked/down, whatever, Randy Cain www.cumberlandtactics.com is a bang-up diagnostician of 'trigger manipulation'.

dan

hello,a newbie here on this sight,has anybody heard of or been to "ranger personal defense training" in port charlotte.their website seems fairly intense as far as tactical and or personal defense training.looking for something here in the orlando area,but willing to travel a little to a good course.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links