Training question. Have you ever had a Negligent Discharge?

Training question. Have you ever had a Negligent Discharge?

This is a discussion on Training question. Have you ever had a Negligent Discharge? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some say if you are around firearms long enough it will happen others say if you are safe and follow the rules it can't happen. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training question. Have you ever had a Negligent Discharge?

VIP Member

Wink Training question. Have you ever had a Negligent Discharge?

Some say if you are around firearms long enough it will happen others say if you are safe and follow the rules it can't happen.
    Now there is a difference between Accidental Discharge and Negligent Discharge. To me accidental is mechanical in nature. You go to chamber a round but because of a mechanical problem and without touching the trigger a round discharges. A negligent discharge is shooter induced by doing something wrong or skipping a step in the safety chain.

What say you?

I have had two in my life and not quite sure if the second one counts.

I had just picked up my Lew Horton Model 29 2 3/4 inch .44 mag. Came home loaded it up with the intention of going to the range. I wanted to try the custom trigger so I opened the cylinder, elevated the gun stroked the ejector rod dumping the rounds into my hand.
    I then closed the cylinder and then dry fired the double action, wonderfully smooth. I then thumb cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger on a wet round so to speak. S&W revolvers are/were notorious for a round hanging on the grip and not fully ejecting so when the weapon is lowered the round will slide back into the cylinder. After replacing the storm window and spraying air freshener I thought I had all bases covered so when my wife came home from work and walked into the bedroom I was shocked when she came out 3 seconds later and asked "Why is there a hole in my curtain?"
    Lesson learned always visually check the cylinder, chamber, mag well on whatever you are holding.

The second came with an HK P7. I was on the range getting ready to fire my first round. I pushed out to the target and a round discharged before I was even halfway there striking the chest of the target.
    My shooting partner looked a me and said "Did you mean to do that?". Lesson learned do not assume because you have shot a lot of weapons systems that they all behave the same. The trigger on a P7 is factory set at 2.5 pounds I believe which I was not prepared for.

Both of these incidents stay in the back of head and I think of them before handling or firing any weapons system.

PS please excuse the little smiley thing in the title I can't get it to come off.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Once when I was fifteen. It was a result of poor trigger and safety discipline developed from primarly shooting a pump air rifle. My dad and I were walking across a field after target practice and my Speedmaster .22 was not on safe. I put a round in the ground right between our feet. That was 30 years ago. It was overcast that day, I was wearing a flannel shirt with a shoulder patch. There was hole in the left knee of my jeans. I had on green rubber boots. I will never forget that day.

Sponsor
    That all depends on the strict definition of ND. I have never fired a round when I wasn't actively engaging a target. I have had a couple "Accidental Double Taps" at the range. Similar to your second scenario.

The real point behind adhering the "4 rules" is to do the best that you can to eliminate the human(stupid) factor. If you actively try to follow all the rules all the time, on the occasion when humane fallibility inevitably rears it's ugly head the damage will probably be limited to your ego. It's unlikely that all 4 rules will be missed/ignored at the same time whether purposefully or accidentally/negligently.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    yes...and they all count...

Once with a shotgun when I was much younger. Thought the safety was on and I was f-in around with my friends in the woods. Almost blew some dudes back window out of his truck but the kickback sent the shot high. Never again.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Never had an ND just yet. You keep your finger off the trigger and ascertain it is unloaded, then your chances of that happening is very small or nil. And, never depend on the safety lever/switch.

VIP Member
    Never (knock wood) had one, in 30 years or so of gun handling. Closest I ever came was when I thought that the SMG I was firing was empty after a string of fire, but wasn't sure. I aimed in at the target and pulled the trigger - it went boom. So, while I was safe in every conceivable way, I didn't know if the gun was going to fire or not.

And gdoggydogg, I believe you are saying that the recoil from firing the weapon caused the shot to go high? This is...highly unlikely. The SECOND shot is often affected by recoil, but the actual round is long gone from the barrel by the time any recoil impulse would cause significant barrel rise. Of course, I might be misunderstanding the situation...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Some say if you are around firearms long enough it will happen others say if you are safe and follow the rules it can't happen.
    Thinking that it cant or wont happen is the a really good way to make yourself over confident and a ND will happen to you. I have not had an ND but I have had an error in judgement while handling a firearm that could have resulted in one of I didn't stop myself.

About 3 weeks ago I was carrying my Glock 27 which I recently bought and was carrying. Because it was new to me I figured I would work on some holster drills and dry firing during the football games. I got home turned on the TV and went into my room to clear the weapon and grab my magazine with snap caps in it. As I was doing this I was on the phone talking to a friend, when in dropped the magazine and picked up the one with the snap caps in it and stuck it in and holstered it. Sat down to eat and watch the game. I stood up and drew the weapon from my holster at which point something hit me to double check the status of the weapon. Dropped the magazine and opened the slide and out popped a shiny gold dot hollow point. so people who come out and say that it will never happen to them either are lying to themselves, or shouldn't handle firearms because thinking like that is how accidents happen.

Had one when I first bought my XD40. I was disassemblng my weapon. When I retracted the slide to rotate the take down lever, I still had a magazine in the weapon. When I released the slide it chambered a round. I fired to complete the take down procedure and fired the chambered round. The only thing that saved me from destroying anything was following the rule about never aiming at something that you don't intend to destroy. The barrel was aimed at the soft ground. Now I'm careful to double and triple check my weapon now.

VIP Member
    Great replies guys. The least amount of distraction can cause a major problem if you dont catch it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    yep...i was new to guns and made a dumb mistake. It sucked

In my 38 years of being around firearms, I've never had an accidental nor a negligent discharge. My father, however, had three accidentals in his 65 years of life. One of those three is quite an interesting story.

He met with a gentleman who claimed that he had several WWII pistols in his possession that he knew nothing about and wanted to get rid of them. This man was not a gun enthusiast. My dad went to meet the man only to check out Lugers, but Dad saw a 1911 that got his attention. So, Dad asked the man about the 1911. The man told him it was a .45 that his father had given him. Supposedly, his father got it from WWII (or something like that). He just accepted it from his father and put it away to be stored. My father asked the man if he could handle it, and maybe negotiate a selling price. So, my father took the 1911 in his hands and ASSUMED it wasn't loaded because the man knew nothing about guns and did not have bullets. Wrong. Dad pulled the hammer back and pulled the trigger. BANG!!! Shot a hole through the man's pool table (wow). No injuries, except Dad's ego.

So, two things are interesting to me here. First of all, the .45 penetrated the pool table. Wow. Secondly, that .45 was probably loaded since WWII. That's a long time for it to be loaded and not fired, if that's the case.

Interesting.

VIP Member
    Wow. Yep those 1911's work every time. Did he buy the .45 or the pool table?

Wow. Yep those 1911's work every time. Did he buy the .45 or the pool table?
    LOL! I don't know if he paid for the pool table or not, but I do know he did not buy the .45.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

We are all human. From time to time all of us, no matter how conscientious, are going to break the rules. However, the really great thing about the four rules of gun safety is that you have to be breaking two of them at the same time to have an ND that results in injury or death.
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links