"Parole officer gives teen vest": Akron Beacon-Journal

This is a discussion on "Parole officer gives teen vest": Akron Beacon-Journal within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friends: I post this on the tactics & training page because I am a curious man, an old graying ex-cop who tries to draw ...

Thread: "Parole officer gives teen vest": Akron Beacon-Journal

My friends: I post this on the tactics & training page because I am a curious man, an old graying ex-cop who tries to draw lessons from the life around him.
    Here's the article:
    http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/2006/07...s/14946556.htm
    In case the link won't work (I don't know as much about computers as I should) here's the nutshell:
    A 17 year old committed armed robbery while wearing soft body armor given him by a juvenile parole officer in Akron. After the robbery he shot a customer in the leg.
    It appears the goblins that prey upon society's sheep are adopting the useful adjuncts that we, the sheepdogs, have been using to good effect.
    I will leave it to wiser heads than I to suggest proper training/tactics to reflect this event.
    Sky Pilot

I think she should be charged with something by providing tools to help commision a crime. But on the other hand, her $50,000 degree is almost useless now !!
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Administrator
    I believe the game of "no rules" is constantly changing.
    Even lazy Predators and Scumbags will (out of necessity) will become more advanced as they will have no choice.
    Especially the addicted ones.

I think the story that you have presented is not so much representative of that as it is of "TWISTED LOVE" always has been able make one of two people do strange things that they will probably regret doing forever.

Quote Originally Posted by kansas_shooter
    her $50,000 degree is almost useless now
    making statements such as "don't call me no more", id say her education was pretty useless to begin with.

I guess there are idiots in every field...

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Probably thought she was doing him a favor....
    Oh well, he wont have a vest in prison....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I used to be a state of Florida Parole Officer back in the wild '80's....the era of Miami Vice and the cocaine cowboys. But we always figured that JUVENILE Officer's tended to come from the "social worker" wing of the criminal justice spectrum. They were always making excuses for the bad conduct of their "clients." Our motto was always Take no guff...cut no slack. Hook 'em, book 'em and don't look back! But Juvie officers were always "soft." Looks like that hasn't changed much.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

What the hell was she thinking?....... Not much I guess!
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Probably much the same as the X teacher that kept sleeping with and later married her 13 year old student. You can't win with some of these people.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Um. Back to the topic of armored criminals, it appears that Minneapolis crooks are beginning to wear body armor during armed robberies or when they're hated more than usual by another gang.

Some armed citizens are beginning to wonder whether they need to change their COM (center of mass) shooting drills to Mozambique drills (which, I believe, is two shots COM and one to the head).

If this were the situation in your area, how would you as a legally armed citizen deal with it?

Lightbulb Mozambique v. "Failure to Stop Drill"

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Chillia
    Some armed citizens are beginning to wonder whether they need to change their COM (center of mass) shooting drills to Mozambique drills (which, I believe, is two shots COM and one to the head). If this were the situation in your area, how would you as a legally armed citizen deal with it?
    The "Mozambique" is two shots COM followed immediately, without pause by one to the head.

"Failure to stop" is two shots COM then pause and assess if BG is still a threat then go for the head shot! I like the latter because it allows for a carefully aimed head shot, making sure that the neural band can be severed. A snap shot that shatters the jaw won't get the job done, IMHO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Also, to add to the above post, dont forget about the pelvic line, the point where the vast majority of non-tactical armor stops, just above the pelvis.

A couple of aimed shots into the pelvic region can and will bounce bullets off the pelvic bone and up into the body cavity, especially with handgun and .223 ammo. And lets face it, few males would continue to fight after taking a shot squarely in the jewels...

An DPS SWAT instructor I had once said "If youre shooting, and it aint workin, shoot something else till it does."
    Fear No Evil.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    An DPS SWAT instructor I had once said "If youre shooting, and it aint workin, shoot something else till it does."
    I like that statement, it follows the KISS process.

Three shots...

It seems like I read that some teach three shots in an upward progression. One to the pelvis, one to COM, and one to the head. It takes advantage of muzzle rise, two of the three shots are to areas not covered by body armor, and the pelvis shot is a stopper. With all those arteries going through the pelvis and the bone damage in that area would cause, it would likely stop an advance.

If I can get a head shot, I'd take it. Click that light switch.

Last edited by DonGlock26; July 23rd, 2006 at 05:37 PM.

Links